Author Topic: Backglass Advice Needed Please  (Read 861 times)

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Backglass Advice Needed Please
« on: October 13, 2013, 06:07:51 PM »
Well I have been slowly touching up my playfield each weekend (will posts some updates soon), but thought I would also turn my attention to the backglass.  I'm after some advice on it what to do with it (if anything). I have NFI when it comes to backglasses.

To me it doesn't seem too bad.  What I want to know is should I just seal it as it stands with Krylon Triple Thick and that's it.  Is there anything that can be done with the crazing or is it not worth the hassle?

I do intend to scratch off the blue score panels since the displays have obviously rested against them and burnt off some of the blue.  I was thinking of getting these colour filters to replace them - not sure if anyone has used them and has any thoughts on them?

http://www.pinballpal.com/products/gdisplay/

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Backglass Advice Needed Please
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 06:59:34 PM »
Just seal it, because the crazing is in backlit areas it is very difficult to patch it and maintain the same level of opacity.
As standard white bulbs will shine through the crazing, you could use some coloured leds in those areas to disguise it.

Without causing any further damage gently clean it if you can before sealing it.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 08:21:33 PM »
Just seal it, because the crazing is in backlit areas it is very difficult to patch it and maintain the same level of opacity.
As standard white bulbs will shine through the crazing, you could use some coloured leds in those areas to disguise it.

Without causing any further damage gently clean it if you can before sealing it.

+1

A GENTLE clean with a soft moist rag with windex sprayed on the rag - NOT the backglass. This will arrest any further issues and you can then decide if you want to touch it up.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 11:35:41 PM »
Cheers for the advice guys. I think I'll just give it a very soft clean in the undamaged areas as suggested then seal it and leave it like that.

I will have to fix the blue score panels tho (the pics don't show it) but a couple of them have part of the blue paint burnt/rubbed off which I think will be quite noticeable, plus I think I can address that with my skill level, the other parts not so much.

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 05:26:30 AM »
Yes The blue covers look good , I used a new razor blade to remove the rubbed out blue paint, which was worn from the displays. Make sure to reglue the displays to stop any future rubbing, i would carefully remove the double sided tape first then glue with PVA or Super glue and a bit of Painters Blue masking tape to hold in place till the glue dries..
One-Ball!

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 08:52:27 PM »
Seeing as we are on the topic..what about in the case of lifting paint? Do I have to use glad wrap type material to lay it flat? Anybody know of the right procedure? Or what has worked for them..

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
For lifting I use clearcoat out of a tin NOT SPRAY CAN.
I just use the tip of a screwdriver to drip the clear onto the small lifted areas, because otherwise the small bits can come loose and then they float around in the clear.
Large flakes are easier to control but those small little pieces can be a real nuisance if they start to move around.
If you spray it and use glad wrap you will break them up because they are brittle.
Make sure you test it on a small area first, different brands of backglasses react differently to the various clears

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 01:14:02 PM »
Cheers for that, I'll give it a shot