Author Topic: DATA EAST SIMPSONS FRESHEN UP  (Read 1409 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: DATA EAST SIMPSONS FRESHEN UP
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2009, 03:36:37 PM »
Another quick question what should i be charging for this type of work???  Ive spent around 30 hours on it..

Whenever i work out a price im always worried its to much or to little.  I dont want to rip them of but i dont want to be ripping myself off !@#

This is the toughest question to answer. First of all - you are doing this because you enjoy it. If the machine was not there for you to do, what would you be doing ? If you didn't restore pins, would you be parked on the couch watching telly ?

Since you are a hobbyist, you need to be careful - you are not making a "living" out of it. You have been given 30 hours of enjoyment.

Whenever you accept this kind of work - you should set the expectations and have a list of activities or a "scope of works" either in writing or email. This is helpful as often you can immerse yourself and lose track of time and a "Shop job" turns quickly into a resto. You should only charge what is agreed upon. If you do anything above that, then you should "wear" that.

Yep, I agree - very tough question.

30 x $25 p/h (too cheap) = $750.00

30 x $50 p/h (reasonable) = $1500.00

I'm guessing on a machine which would have cost possibly $1500 to $2500, adds up quick.

I guess its tough for some as they might not know / appreciate how much work actually goes into a full rebuild.

Eitherway the owner has got himself a much better machine than what came through the door.

Workshop rates for Dealers is anywhere between $35 - $85 - depending on "Who" you are and how much you know about pinball  #@#.

I think if you are a hobbyist - $35 per hour is reasonable - $45 is probably "top end".

You may want to consider charging a flat rate labor figure -

Shop Job = $250-$500
Recondition = $500-750
Restore = $1000 up

Thanks Nino
               And your spot on about enjoying it i would be happy to do it for nothing but everyone else keeps saying make sure you charge these people...  And i have to keep the wife happy.   

Your break up of prices is a big help i was thinking $500 was to much to charge and that was including parts (about $150) not including bits i already had.   Which works out at $11 an hour which is fine with me but id get laughed at if i told the wife or my family

Thanks again Guys  ^^^

Offline johnwartjr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2009, 05:42:20 PM »
I face the same challenges when some of my customers bring in games they want repaired.

They want the game working at the least possible cost, as quickly as possible. When it comes to me, it costs them money and isn't on their route making them money.

I can see a lot of potential future problems popping up, and some of my customers haul games in 3-4 hours each direction. If I just fix the primary problem, and they bring it back a month later because something else pops up, they end up paying me twice. But, they only want to pay the absolute minimum the first time it comes in.

Don't want to oversell, don't want to undersell. It's a slippery slope.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2009, 09:17:20 PM »
I face the same challenges when some of my customers bring in games they want repaired.

They want the game working at the least possible cost, as quickly as possible. When it comes to me, it costs them money and isn't on their route making them money.

I can see a lot of potential future problems popping up, and some of my customers haul games in 3-4 hours each direction. If I just fix the primary problem, and they bring it back a month later because something else pops up, they end up paying me twice. But, they only want to pay the absolute minimum the first time it comes in.

Don't want to oversell, don't want to undersell. It's a slippery slope.

That's the main reason I don't do repair work. Most of the time, it is not just the one problem. Or the problem potential re occurs because the symptom is addressed - not the cause. I often find many additional problems on machines I am asked to repair. I find it hard to turn a "blind eye". Often the machine "was just repaired" by a "repair center" and I end up going over their band aid repairs. Rubber bands, super glue and nails must have been tools of the trade a while ago. so I stick to reconditioning or restoration. That way, I know that there is a better chance the machine is in a working condition after it has been properly attended to.

:2cents:
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline delarge

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wagg Wagga, NSW
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2010, 12:18:05 AM »
After many months of searching, I've now purchased a Data East Simpsons. Playfield and backglass are amazing, cabinet needs some re-painting. My father used to be a signwriter,so he's going to help out.

Was wondering what paint was used on this playfield touch-up? The only obvious wear on my machine is on the books where the ball drops onto repeatedly.

Also, what paint do people suggest for cabinet touch ups on this machine? Glossy? My dad has asked me if there's any colour references on the net for this machine?

Will create a thread when my restoration gets uderway. This thread will really help. Loving the pinball community!

Cheers!
Adam.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2010, 06:26:45 AM »
Hi Adam
                 For the playfield touchups i used water based acrylics followed by an Automotive acrylic Clear.   As for the cabinet colors will all be different depending on how badly the cabinet has faded so best to color match to your machine