Author Topic: Williams Hot Tip (EM)  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Williams Hot Tip (EM)
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 10:27:27 PM »
The wire wrap how I said it will work on the shorter leafs.. the longer ones have to have it going round one side.

The logic relays are a bit difficult to work on... if its in the middle somewhere then you have to unscrew from the base. The leaf you need to replace should be unsoldered already.
The whole thing pulls apart once the side screws holding them together are undone.. You have to be VERY careful here as all the Bakelite insulators may come apart and fall off... if this happens its a real bugger getting them all back again.

So keep the whole stack together with some narrow masking tape.. wrap around once on the Bakelite insulators.. then with a scalpel cut the tape where you need to break the stack... this allows the stack to split where you want it and keeps the 2 halves together.. you might have to prise apart with a blade.. sometimes these things can be tough to split. Inside the mounting holes there MIGHT be a long white nylon insulator to prevent the screw from touching any of the insides of the switches... if this is the case it can be real hard to split them and you have to separate the Bakelite stacks from the insulator... make sure you keep the order they are in... lose this and you have a real headache on your hands... more than likely though you will have lots of brown insulator tubes.
Once you've done all this, you can slot you new switch in... put the stack back together and screw back in place.. make sure the screws that hold the stack are nice and tight... solder your new switch and away you go.
Or.. you can keep the wire and solder job in place if it seems too difficult.. no harm done here and its nothing I haven't done myself. I have several hundred leaf switches here but did I have the exact one for a GTB I own?? Nope and the solder tab had snapped off right at the Bakelite insulator. So the wire to this leaf switch is soldered to the very edge of the leaf.. game works 100% and although not the best solution, its the best I could do at the time. After a while the fix becomes permanent because it worked well.