Author Topic: Australian Pinball Expo 2009  (Read 8304 times)

Offline Geoffh

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne Vic
Re: Australian Pinball Expo 2009
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 03:22:27 PM »
From what I hear the whole thing was mostly positive from the hobby point of view and I applaud Rian for his efforts.

I am glad that many people had positive experiences and came away wanting more events like this. It only helps to further the interest in pinballs and to attract new people to the hobby.

thanks to everyone who has supplied reports and pictures of the event as i was unable to attend and it is good to get all the different perspectives of it.

Lets hope there are many more events that people can attend, have fun. meet like minded people and play "new" and "old" pinballs that they may never had a chance to play except at events like this.

Lets see what the next big event will be like.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2009, 05:41:14 PM »
Great photos, wish I could have been there  !!!

Offline Private Gimp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Mackay, Queensland
  • Fix'n and play'n Pinball
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 07:55:01 PM »
Great Photos, thanks for sharing.

The Fire Power was a little beaten up but went for a good price.
I was chatting to the couple standing next to me who bought it during the auction.
Iam sure they are going to enjoy it, I hope they sort out those non matching stand up targets.

Cliff Tucker - Bronco Gimp

Offline Zorn

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 10:12:38 PM »
if I get a chance, I might have to stop by to this, haven't been to a meet yet, so this would be a good ice breaker for me :)

Offline jasthecase

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 01:13:28 AM »
awsome pics

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline jasthecase

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 11:24:07 PM »
will there be aother expo?

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 11:27:06 PM »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 11:49:16 PM »

We have not actually had an "Expo" in the usual meaning of the word - we had a container auction weekend that was called an Expo. I doubt we'll ever see an Expo here unless someone with both the industry connection and a true passion for the game (rather than just the cash) puts it together. Not going to happen.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 11:55:18 PM »

Too many factions all pushing different barrows and beating different drums - but, you never know  #@#
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 08:04:09 AM »
It could actually be done by a group of enthusiasts with enough passion for the game, with a bit of work.

The trouble is that there is some financial risk attached to organising such an event because the venue hire is not insignificant. But people bring containers into the country so there are plenty of people who could underwrite the event.

In Melbourne, you would start small in a venue similar in size to the computer markets. Allow commercials a 3x2m booth (say 5 or 6 of these) and get AP members to bring along 80 or so machines. Run from 9am - 5pm Sunday and Saturday, with setup on Friday night. Make sure you have a couple of good techs on deck to fix broken machines. Charge $20 entry, charge commercials $200, and I reckon if you got 600 people through the door you would cover costs, maybe not even that many. Have a laptop there with internet so that new people can sign up for AP on the spot.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 02:12:19 PM »
It could actually be done by a group of enthusiasts with enough passion for the game, with a bit of work.

The trouble is that there is some financial risk attached to organising such an event because the venue hire is not insignificant. But people bring containers into the country so there are plenty of people who could underwrite the event.

In Melbourne, you would start small in a venue similar in size to the computer markets. Allow commercials a 3x2m booth (say 5 or 6 of these) and get AP members to bring along 80 or so machines. Run from 9am - 5pm Sunday and Saturday, with setup on Friday night. Make sure you have a couple of good techs on deck to fix broken machines. Charge $20 entry, charge commercials $200, and I reckon if you got 600 people through the door you would cover costs, maybe not even that many. Have a laptop there with internet so that new people can sign up for AP on the spot.

Something along these lines is probably the ONLY way it would work IMO. Stop the petty rivalry and you are halfway home.

There are other 'significant' costs as well as the venue of course, such as public liability insurance, advertising and probably a host of other things such as ticket printing etc
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals