Author Topic: RIP Retropin  (Read 5685 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
RIP Retropin
« on: January 13, 2020, 10:49:13 PM »
Just heard the sad new the hobby lost another great man Gav had been battling cancer for a while now but lost the battle today
  RIP mate you will be missed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: RIP Retropin
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 10:59:54 PM »
he was a good guy

Offline tonyt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 11:04:59 PM »
Gone way too early, one of the good guys.

Gav made a couple of things for me over the years (including the Diner neon in my avatar) which I will treasure as well as always willing to help me out.

Rest in peace Gav, you will be missed.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2020, 11:10:50 PM »
Very sad loss for the pinball community and his family. I had the pleasure of knowing him as a close friend for many years, the passion of pinball ignited a friendship that had a lot of laughter and carry on. He pioneered the correct way of making stencils for the hobby, that is now a standard for everyone that makes them. He held the Gottlieb license for around 10 years. He had achieved a lot for the community with his restoration skills, boundless knowledge and passion for Woodrails and EMS and most importantly, he was a genuinely good bloke that was straight down the line.

He fought HARD to beat cancer. He tried a few unconventional methods that dumbfounded his oncologist. One of those, was his typical British Humor and the strong desire to prove them wrong. He was given until October, but every time we spoke, I reminded him that he is still with us. He told me his motivation was to "carve the Christmas Turkey, one more time". I reminded him of that when he sent me his last message on Christmas Day.
A very sad day. My condolences to his wife, Tracy, and his family. We will all miss him.

But in true Gavin form, here's a story I'd like to share - I called him years ago, and he didn't answer the phone. I got impatient, and called him back again - no answer. He called me back an hour later and calmly told me - "Hey Nino, next time, don't call me back like that - I'm up 40 floors hanging off a f%^&en ladder. I ain't gonna call you back. Okay"... From that time on, when I called him, and he didn't answer, I would not call him back. He would return the call and I'd say "WTF ? Are up the F$%^en ladder again ? " He laugh, I'd laugh.. and we would carry on.

Gonna miss you mate, I guess you are going up that ladder for the last time. But this time, straight to Heaven.

Rest In Peace my friend.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 01:32:47 AM »
Sad news, way too early. Rest in peace Gav.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 01:35:13 AM by ktm450 »

Offline oldpins

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane North QLD
    • oldpinballs.com
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 07:21:53 AM »
Shocking news. RIP Gav.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 07:34:39 AM »
RIP Retropin.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 09:16:49 AM »
Sad news indeed. I was lucky enough to have met him and hang out with him at the first pinfest in Newcastle, great guy and a real asset to the pinball hobby.
He helped me out many years ago with computer cut stencils when i was restoring my Stern Dracula playfield for redoing some missing lettering.. he didn't want any payment for it.. i've never forgotten that kind gesture from him, the game is still sitting in my gameroom and will never be sold.
My condolences to his family, RIP Gav

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 10:21:18 AM »
I never knew him personally, but enjoyed the straight forward input he gave.
Truly sad news and I want to express my sincere condolences to all who knew him.
Cancer sucks R.I.P. Gav
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 11:18:34 PM »
Wow very sorry to hear that, I enjoyed his knowledge and posts on this forum over the years. RIP

Offline dealers choice

• Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock, N.S.W
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 11:21:29 PM »
Wow, such sad news. First night back in the forum and to find this. Never met gav personally but learnt aloya from his input in here. RIP
I'm not cranky, I just want MORE pins!

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2020, 04:49:49 PM »
Holly crap, I just read the news and so sad to hear and wishes go out to his family and close friends. He was an upfront guy and called it how it was and was very helpful and very talented in glass blowing and neon signs in which I got one of his "Pinball Arcade" signs from the first Pinfest.

What a sad loss.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 06:04:55 PM »
Sorry to hear.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 07:46:31 PM »
Very sorry to hear this. I didn’t know him apart from on this forum but He was always a straight shooter and very knowledgeable, I alway enjoyed reading his posts. He did do the stencils for my Fathom some years back when good ones were simply not available, he was a perfectionist and they turned out stunning. RIP Gav.

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 08:57:52 AM »
Can't believe it.  Lucky to have met Gav a couple of times. A very sad loss.  !!!