Author Topic: Aussie Pinball Museum - the facts  (Read 24315 times)

Offline Pinballer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Aussie Pinball Museum - the facts
« on: July 15, 2009, 04:32:49 PM »
Having returned home from a brief break in Queensland, I have put together this update on the Aussie Pinball Museum.  Staying with a good friend, Lee Feldwick and family, it was a very enjoyable few days.  Saturday night we caught the train and went to the GABBA to watch the Lions vs Cats game.  Unfortunately the Cats played poorly with so many senior players out of the side and got hammered.  Listening to the Lion roar from the stadium PA system so many times got old, real fast!

Anyway, back on track, back to the pins.  I was very fortunate to get a look around at the future Museum site and what’s been done so far.  What follows has the approval of the owner Alan Tate.

Before we get into things, it needs to be explained that the Aussie Pinball Museum (APM), is not open to the public as yet.  Alan is working towards that goal.  As has been reported by others, land has been purchased in the Mt. Tamborine area of QLD.  It’s a long road to opening day with many obstacles yet to over come.  These include such things as planning approval, building design and construction plans, land clearing, building works, fit out etc.  Not to mention the many hundreds of machines still to be restored.

I must stress that the museum is a long way from opening at this stage.  There is no building as yet and nothing is open to the public.  No dates have been penciled in for an opening, with the work on the game restorations continuing along each week.  Alan will make his own announcement when the time comes to open the doors.

Alan has been sourcing machines for many years, mainly from the USA, some from Australia.  The impressive collection of pins, ball bowlers, fortune teller, grip testers, rifle games, baseballs/pitch and bats and more is around the 1500 mark.  The machines range from most eras, from the 30’s through to the very late 90’s.  To date there are no machines from this century.

Lee is patiently and methodically restoring each machine, with game 139 (Williams – Big Daddy) in the workshop this week.  The other 138 are either fully restored or progressed as far as possible, waiting on parts and where required cabinet repaints.  As you will see in the photos that follow, the quality of Lee’s work is outstanding.  Keeping in mind, they are not gold plated, pimped out machines.  Lee is aiming to restore each machine back to its original glory.

As an example, with each woodrail game, Lee refinishes the cabinet, backbox and playfield timber surrounds, sanding them back to remove the years of dirt, grime and carved initials, then stains and lacquers them. The result is very true to the original finish.  The playfields are stripped of all top level parts, cleaned down, artwork touched up where required, polished and reassembled.  The reassembly process can sometimes include clear coating of the playfield if Lee deems it is required to prevent further wear or sealing the touch ups. 

Each EM pin has its relays, score motors, score reels, cleaned, and all switches are cleaned and adjusted.  All metal parts off the playfield are tumbled and buffed to a nice shiny finish.  New globes and parts, such as flippers, posts, plastics or backglasses installed where required and available.

A similar process occurs with the modern electronic games.

Once a building is erected, the restored and fully working machines will be setup ready for use.  Also on display will be Alan’s vast range of miscellaneous collectibles, with a strong focus on Australiana collectibles. 

On a side note, I got a sneak peak at the new Pinball Rescue products that will be available shortly, some real nice plastics for the golden era of Gottlieb EM’s.  I’m sure they will make some collectors very happy.

Anyway, onto the pictures……

Offline Pinballer

• Forum Posts:
Re: Aussie Pinball Museum - the facts
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 04:37:39 PM »
More photos...

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 04:41:13 PM »
Thanks for posting this is awsome to hear and the pictures are even better ^^^

pinballist

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 04:49:05 PM »
Wow some amazing collectors machines there, thanks for sharing these!
I wonder what the cost will be to maintain all those machines once the museum is open?  Definitely a full time job for some lucky Queenslander ;)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 04:57:20 PM »
WOW!  #.#

Offline Pinballer

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 05:04:08 PM »
Glad you all like the pics.  Will post some more later today.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 05:30:34 PM by Pinballer »

Offline Pinballer

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 05:28:53 PM »
Some more....

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 05:33:32 PM »
WOW!   #*#
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 05:48:29 PM »
ty for the update  #*#

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 06:44:36 PM »
Thanks for the update - sounds like it won't be ready by Christmas, then. Will have to wait a year or two by the sound of it. At least things are progressing.

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 07:05:14 PM »
WOW WOW WOW those machines look fantastic.

Ian
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 07:23:01 AM by 63wizz »

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 07:13:34 PM »
Yep thanks for posting !  ^^^
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 09:37:31 PM »

WOW - That's amazing - Well done to all involved !

Dream job - BTW !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 07:11:44 AM »
Some beautiful looking machines there.