Author Topic: Decals rub on  (Read 549 times)

Offline faza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
Decals rub on
« on: April 25, 2009, 02:06:51 PM »
Has anyone tried rub on decals , i am thinking they may be good for the small writing on the playfield.
Not sure how it would react with clear coating but mylar should be ok.

Instructions from website
RUB-ON DECAL PAPER
1. Create or obtain your artwork/design. Designs can be created with any graphic software programme.
Resize the image to the desired size. Reverse the image as the printed side will be placed face down on
the object to be decorated.
Print the image onto the MATT side of the decal film using either a laser or inkjet printer. Set the printer
settings to Thick Photo Paper or Premium Glossy Paper, and print at High Resolution.
2. Allow the image to dry thoroughly, (a hair dryer can be used to speed up drying).
Using the adhesive sticker sheet, cut out a piece slightly larger than your image. Remove one side of
the paper to expose the adhesive. Stick the cut out adhesive sticker on the printed image slowly to
avoid air bubbles. Ensure the adhesive is stuck evenly by rubbing with your fingers.
3. Cut out the image as close as possible to the edges, then remove the adhesive backing.
Apply the image, sticky side down, to the object slowly. Once adhered to the object, rub firmly with
your fingers. When you are happy with the adhesion remove the top film to reveal your finished Rub
On.
4. You may want to seal the decal on some surfaces, e.g. wood, with a clear acrylic spray to protect it.
White Knight Crystal Clear is available at most hardware stores.

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
Re: Decals rub on
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 02:26:17 PM »
Faza,
I found the stickon decals a lot thicker & a lot harder to use on small lettering. Have not tried them on PF yet.
Refer post http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=1298.0 I think the waterslide decals would work better.
Millsy
pinballaustralia.com

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 03:25:09 PM »
Millsy

I have been following the slide on water decal post results are fantastic.
Correct me if im wrong i think the rub on type only leave the lettering the plastic is removed after the rub.
Faza,
I found the stickon decals a lot thicker & a lot harder to use on small lettering. Have not tried them on PF yet.
Refer post http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=1298.0 I think the waterslide decals would work better.
Millsy

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 03:49:31 PM »
Correct, whatever the background you are applying it to will be transparent.
I am changing my Bally Bazaar apron at present from stick on to waterslide then having a go on the Jumping Jack front cabinet (around the coin door).
Millsy
pinballaustralia.com

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 04:05:34 PM »
Thanks again Millsy for a great step by step instruction. What is the main difference in the result between rub on and water slide decals. Or are they just alternate ways of doing the same thing. ALso where do you get the rub on product so I could maybe have a go?
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 04:21:15 PM »
I originally used the stick on method on my Bally Bazaar - refer this post http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=726.0 however you are using the complete backing,as the apron is larger than the A4 complete decal,you have to join in 2 halves -the line is less obvious in the picture but it is obvious in the flesh.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 04:40:38 PM »
The rub on decals can be found here http://www.thecopiercompany.com.au/products.asp?id=131
I think that they work as a transfer,
Thanks again Millsy for a great step by step instruction. What is the main difference in the result between rub on and water slide decals. Or are they just alternate ways of doing the same thing. ALso where do you get the rub on product so I could maybe have a go?
only the lettering rubs off onto the surface no plastic is left.
Then again i could be wrong

Offline millsy

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 04:45:43 PM »
Havent tried these -maybe better suited for the PF-lets us know how they go Faza if you are going to try them. Not sure if they are thicker -the less thinner the better - especially on a PF.
pinballaustralia.com