Author Topic: New Posts  (Read 8128 times)

Offline felixthadog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: New Posts
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2008, 01:20:05 PM »
Try again now. I have reset all session counters in the database and repaired some tables that had errors, as per the instructions given to me by the SMF discussion forum.

Please let me know if you get the problem again.

Still not working for me  !!! Each time I click the Unread posts link, it shows me 2 less posts than what was there before (e.g. 9 in the list, select a post, click Unread posts link, now 7 in the list).

Matthew

Hi Matthew. Can you please test this out again? I made a change to the cached session settings so that it doesn't use database driven sessions anymore.

I have done some more testing today (thanks to everyone for the sh!tload of posts  %.%) and noticed that although posts are no longer disappearing from the Unread posts list, there are some posts that are not appearing in the Unread posts list at all  !!! After reading all the posts in the Unread posts list, I then have to go through each section individually to find the posts that I have still not read. Fo example, I just went through 18 Unread posts, then navigated to the Introduction section and found 2 "new" posts that did not appear in the Unread posts list (and those new posts were older than some of the posts in the Unread posts list).

Matthew

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2008, 01:22:21 PM »
Try again now. I have reset all session counters in the database and repaired some tables that had errors, as per the instructions given to me by the SMF discussion forum.

Still not working for me  !!! Each time I click the Unread posts link, it shows me 2 less posts than what was there before (e.g. 9 in the list, select a post, click Unread posts link, now 7 in the list).

Matthew

Hi Matthew. Can you please test this out again? I made a change to the cached session settings so that it doesn't use database driven sessions anymore.

I have done some more testing today (thanks to everyone for the sh!tload of posts  %.%) and noticed that although posts are no longer disappearing from the Unread posts list, there are some posts that are not appearing in the Unread posts list at all  !!! After reading all the posts in the Unread posts list, I then have to go through each section individually to find the posts that I have still not read. Fo example, I just went through 18 Unread posts, then navigated to the Introduction section and found 2 "new" posts that did not appear in the Unread posts list (and those new posts were older than some of the posts in the Unread posts list).

Matthew

I noticed a similar issue. Then if you log out and then log in - it then adds those posts to the "unread posts" heading..

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2008, 01:27:57 PM »

Matthew

Matthew

I noticed a similar issue. Then if you log out and then log in - it then adds those posts to the "unread posts" heading..

Well that sucks  @.@

Obviously the testers of the forum software didn't do their job properly  (((

Matthew

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #78 on: December 15, 2008, 04:51:08 PM »

We are behind in the versions of the forum software, and Creech did try to upgrade it recently, but it did not work.

We will get it working...  ^^^

Offline felixthadog

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #79 on: December 15, 2008, 05:02:03 PM »

We are behind in the versions of the forum software, and Creech did try to upgrade it recently, but it did not work.

Nino & Creech,

I hope that you have not taken my dig at the forum software testers as a dig at this forum, it is definitely not! This forum rocks  #*# I am a software tester so it is in my nature to get peeved by bugs that should never have made it to production, and I find it difficult to believe that this problem would have been accepted if it was made known to the developers.

Matthew

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2008, 05:16:48 PM »
Mate, I work in IT. I have a thick skin as I get these "digs" made everyday. I did not see your comments as a dig - believe me.  :lol I have had far worse thrown at me over the years.

This is an issue that has plagued alot of SMF forums. I have looked through the SMF discussion groups and we are not the only ones with this issue. I recently upgraded to 1.1.7 successfully after having initial problems as Nino indicated.

So we have the latest version and I made a change on the weekend so we are not using database driven sessions but we still seem to have a problem.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused and I'm still trying to find an answer. I will make a post tonight on the SMF forums asking for help.

Does logging off/on help at all?

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2008, 07:26:13 PM »

Nino & Creech,

I hope that you have not taken my dig at the forum software testers as a dig at this forum, it is definitely not! This forum rocks  #*# I am a software tester so it is in my nature to get peeved by bugs that should never have made it to production, and I find it difficult to believe that this problem would have been accepted if it was made known to the developers.

Matthew

Not at mate.. Again, I work in IT so I see this kind of issue (but not with webdev etc) a fair bit.

I guess we all just want to get what we paid for  ^^^

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2008, 11:04:12 PM »

Mmm, gotta love Open Source.

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2008, 11:06:52 PM »

You mean 3/5ths of SFA?

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2008, 01:44:26 PM »

You mean 3/5ths of SFA?

something like that  !^!

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2008, 01:56:44 AM »
I wouldnt worry about it - if it werent for the bugs then thered be a lot less people working in IT!

I know dick squat about IT - i did computers in school with basic and machine code - first time i got onto Windows i typed in RUN thinking the world still worked in basic - LOL!
Man - those emitocons doing the "we are not worthy" would have crashed my zx81 big time, then again, so would an email.

New posts doesnt always work for me properly either, but im used to that, it doesnt bother me, i HAVE to use Microsoft so i can open other peoples files they send me. The "soft" in Microsoft is very apt

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2009, 06:56:38 PM »
Ok heres what ive noticed with this,

If i click unread posts, log out and then back in again i lose all that remained unread in previous log in.

Also - posts that i have posted that then get a post from another member dont always show up.

Hope these finer points help you guys..

gav

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2009, 07:04:40 PM »
Yep, had another member mention similar things to me.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2009, 09:10:56 PM »
Yeah I know it's frustrating guys.

I have done heaps of checking on the SMF forums for an answer but nothing has come up. I did post a question on there a while ago but must admit I haven't checked for any responses as I got caught up in the Christmas hoo ha and just plain forgot.

I will go check tonight and thanks for the reminder.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2009, 09:11:44 PM »

Bizarre !