Author Topic: TZ Restoration  (Read 1079 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
TZ Restoration
« on: November 09, 2011, 09:35:12 PM »
Its been a little while since I have posted a restoration / cleanup thread.  I've had so many machines through the workshop I had a bit of catching up to do.

Anyway I recently purchased a TZ and managed to get it home and up the driveway (big thanks to Marco for transport and muscle)

Overall its a fairly tidy TZ.  Straight out of the container to home.  I would guess its been in storage for at least the last 5 to 10 years, going by the corrosion (on the balls) and rubbers etc.

Playfield wear is almost none.  Scoop holes etc probably the best I've seen for a long time.  Machine was 100% complete and after spending about an hour checking each and every coil, removing boards, checking connectors, transformer, jumpering, fuses etc (which I do on each and every machine which goes through the workshop) it powered up and I went through and tested all solenoids and switches. The only fault is the clock optos (original board and very common).  Other than that it was ready for tear down.

All metal assemblies will be removed, checked and repaired / strengthened and TIG welded with stainless steel.  Below is common and almost all assemblies on a TZ suffer this type of damage.  For a fraction of the cost of replacements (if you can even find them) its well worth getting repaired.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:12:06 PM by MartyJ »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: TZ Restoration
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 10:13:41 PM »

Love the curtains in your workshop, Marty  %.%

So the TIG welder will be put to good use. Pinball looks like it has not had too many plays and should scrub up well after you perform your magic. Looking forward to the updates.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 10:25:57 PM »
Definately filthy. Should come up a treat. Well done.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 10:44:30 PM »
Marty,

Looking forward to watching your progress and the final result which will be excellent as usual!!

Jeff

Offline faza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 10:47:45 PM »
Looks like a great machine to start with looking forward to watching the restore

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 12:45:08 PM »
From what I understand, those TZ era playfields are very durable and usually come out in great shape after clean & wax.

In case you want these, here's a link to some score cards I made up when I had mine:
http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff201/rgpimage/TZ/

If the link doesn't work for some reason, just let me know.

I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 01:20:28 PM »
Look forward to the updates, mine was as dirty as that with corrosion as well before I started  *%*

Offline Skybeaux

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Central Coast / Newcastle
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 09:02:08 PM »
Looks like a nice machine for a project.
Playfield looks great through the dirt and i'm sure you'll get it looking a million dollars when your finished with it.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 09:21:42 PM »
Thanks Vinito, I've seen those score cards on another machine and was definitely planning on using them!  Thanks for the link.

Playfield is now about 98% stripped and I've begun the initial clean.  Is coming up very nice so really a good clean, polish and wax should do it.  Each and every mech will be removed, cleaned etc as well as fully rebuilt.

Hopefully a few more pics after the weekend.

Offline Jim Jam

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 09:55:47 PM »
make sure you do the lock ramp mod (while it is out) stops ball Bounce-out especially the power ball

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 11:05:51 AM »
That looks identical almost to the TZ I got a few years ago Marty, dirty as, but sure came up nice when that protective layer of filth was removed.

Have fun!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 06:07:43 PM »
make sure you do the lock ramp mod (while it is out) stops ball Bounce-out especially the power ball

Thanks mate.  Yep, I'll add it to the list.  I won't be doing any 'bling' mods, this will be left for the future owner(s) to decide on.  However any that improve gameplay or add reliability will be.

All metal ramps now being inspected for damage or fatigue and will be repaired prior to cleaning.  The main scoop ramp has been repaired and now ready for de-greasing and regraining.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 07:09:01 PM »
Looks like a great base to start a resto Marty really looking forward to your progress.

Great job on that scoop aswell u would never know it had been cracked

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 07:47:20 PM »
Hurry up and get it going so I can maybe put a highscore up on it. I can nudge games as of two days ago now
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 07:52:52 PM »
Hurry up and get it going so I can maybe put a highscore up on it. I can nudge games as of two days ago now

We only brought it home on Monday this week Rob!  At least give me the weekend to get it finished!   &&