Author Topic: VERY SAD BUT VERY CLEVER FOR ITS AGE  (Read 420 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
VERY SAD BUT VERY CLEVER FOR ITS AGE
« on: February 22, 2010, 11:15:53 PM »
While i was in queensland i called around to another Marathon owners house to help get his machine running again.   When i arrived sure enough it was a marathin backglass but thats where the similarities stopped.   The previous owner had modified the machine to make it more modern somevery crude but effective ideas which all look to be hand made.

My favorite would have to be the Cymbol mounted to the inside of the cabinet which is fired whenever a credit is awarded.

Then there is the way it was converted from manual ball lift.

Also removing two of the pop bumpers and repainting the whole playfield then covering it with a sheet of perspex?

They also removed all the light globe sockets and hard soldered all the globes into place  @.@  And removed all the backbox globes and replaced with a few 6 inch fleuro tubes.

Ill add photos one i get home i dont have any software to shrink the photos

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: VERY SAD BUT VERY CLEVER FOR ITS AGE
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 08:42:33 AM »
Ouch! I suppose there was a time way back when a game like that was not thought of as a classic, and now it's painful to see.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 02:17:44 PM »
Ouch! I suppose there was a time way back when a game like that was not thought of as a classic, and now it's painful to see.
i agree.
there would have been a stage where EM,s and some SS,s would have been worth nothing and considered a piece of junk by a lot of people (i am not one of these people). it makes me sad to think how many of the older pins ended up in land fill.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 01:03:50 AM »
It sounds like it would almost bring you to tears  ^&^

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 07:18:35 PM »
Well ive finally had to face the real world  !!!  Arrived home today at about lunch time so here are the photos of the mods to the machine.

First and funniest is the addition of a cymble which works instead of a credit knocker which i though was clever.

Second is the hand made roll tilt unit  !@#

Third is the conversion from manual lift to an automatic lift

The fourth photo shows the switches to vary and add an extra ball option (Green arrow)  And the red shows the playfield inserts for the extra ball (Red arrow)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 07:41:57 PM by ddstoys »

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 07:25:30 PM »
Then we come to the top of the playfield.   Two pop bumpers have been removed and a complete new set of plastics new artwork then covered with clear perspex.      Sadly not the best photos id spent way more time on the machine than i originally thought and i wanted to get to gavs so i didnt spend to much time on photos.

First photos show the custom plastics.  the angle with the target under it should not be there but there should be a pop bumper in that area.

Second is an extra switch im assuming will be to do with the extra ball feature (its not original)

third and fourth are the custom flippers not much to say really just have a laugh at the photos  @.@

All the plastics look like they have the artwork engraved then hand painted colors

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 07:39:02 PM »
WTF????!! that is just about the most bizarre set of mods i've ever seen!!,
especially the cymbal mounted in the cab :lol

Barry the bodger strikes again!!  ::) ::)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 07:44:04 PM by Mr Pinbologist »