Author Topic: 1980's Bally flipper bats  (Read 590 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
1980's Bally flipper bats
« on: February 14, 2013, 01:53:09 PM »
Have bought a pair of the old style Bally flipper bats (plastics part only). Is there a secret to removing them from the shaft and re-applying the new ones or is it a matter of destroy the old and hope the new ones are correct?
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
Re: 1980's Bally flipper bats
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 05:39:12 PM »
They usually have a single self tapping screw screwed in from underneath holding them in place to the shaft, so should be easy peasy to replace  *%*

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 06:25:39 PM »

The flipper bat is mounted on a shaft as Mitch points out. You will need to remove the flipper shaft from underneath the playfield. There will be two allen screws mounted on the flipper pawl. The flipper pawl is what connects the plunger / link to the flipper shaft. Lift the flipper bat / shart from the top of the playfield and all will be revealed !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 03:36:15 AM »
I think you may have moulded on to the shaft one's if so.  This type can not be removed like the screw on one's and will need to be replaced  as a whole ie Bat and Shaft complete. you can buy these from PBR or Pinball life may have them
One-Ball!

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 07:23:00 PM »
I think you may have moulded on to the shaft one's if so.  This type can not be removed like the screw on one's and will need to be replaced  as a whole ie Bat and Shaft complete. you can buy these from PBR or Pinball life may have them
hope you're wrong as I have the replacement plastic bats, but thank you for the tip if needed

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 05:42:25 PM »
hope you're wrong as I have the replacement plastic bats, but thank you for the tip if needed

You can use the molded ones but you have to grind the groove in the shaft to allow for the grub screws.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 10:56:31 PM »
dumb arse me, why don't I post a photo so everyone knows what I'm talking about. I have also included the small flipper bays even though the thread was about the larger ones. But might as well get the heads up on both as I will be replacing both sets

My intention is to try and remove the existing shafts from the old bats and insert them into the new. Is this a mission impossible where I break my existing and cannot fit the new bats?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 10:58:30 PM by pinball god »

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 12:17:24 AM »
dumb arse me, why don't I post a photo so everyone knows what I'm talking about. I have also included the small flipper bays even though the thread was about the larger ones. But might as well get the heads up on both as I will be replacing both sets

My intention is to try and remove the existing shafts from the old bats and insert them into the new. Is this a mission impossible where I break my existing and cannot fit the new bats?

Have you got a photo from the underside of the old ones?

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 12:28:57 AM »
not yet haven't taken them off might try this weekend

Offline ralph67

• Forum Posts:
  • Stoneville
    • ralph1967@optusnet.com.au
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 02:17:21 PM »

If they are the screw on type it will be a 2 minute job the old one's will come off easy after screw is removed ^^^
One-Ball!

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 05:24:49 PM »

If they are the screw on type it will be a 2 minute job the old one's will come off easy after screw is removed ^^^
now that's what I'm hoping

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 06:49:43 PM »
Small flipper no problems, large flipper not so. I bought the wrong bat but I ha e cosmetically cleaned my originals with 800 wet and dry sand paper and they look brand new. I might try this with my white targets that are yellowing

by the way, take a look at the last small flipper picture. Is this a broken piece in the screw hole! I can't tell as both flippers have the same problem

Offline Boots

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 09:51:47 PM »
Yeah looks that way
The flipper shaft normally has a little peg that locates in the plastic bat.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 08:54:36 PM »
Quick question, anyone know where I can get the shaft and metal insert that seats inside the flipper bat. Require for both the small and large flipper bats bit especially the large as I have bought the wrong style of bat for what is on my game
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:58:17 PM by pinball god »

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 09:06:22 PM »
Good selection here at PBR if you cant find them locally. http://www.pbresource.com/flippers.html