Author Topic: EOS switch wiring slow flipper  (Read 1129 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
EOS switch wiring slow flipper
« on: December 19, 2008, 07:08:40 PM »
I put a new coil stop, plunger and sleeve in my flipper and it improved the strength of the flipper, i also got a new EOS switch as the old one sparked a bit and looked fairly pitted.  I'm pretty sure i wired the new one the same as the old one and now the flipper moves really slowly (with all the new mechanical bits and the old EOS it was fine).  The old EOS had the bottom 15mm or so missing and there was no insulator between the contacts for the upper and lower flippers on the right side - unsure if this would make any difference.

If the picture below is a bit unclear..(Game is a williams Flash system 4)

Middle lug of coil goes to RHS of EOS 
RHS lug of coil goes to inner left EOS
LHS of EOS goes back up into the playfield
Two inner lugs of EOS are connected with yellow wire.

I tried without the yellow wire connected and it still was very slow...

Any ideas?

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: EOS switch wiring slow flipper
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 07:14:18 PM »
Hi Robm,

With the machine switched off, can you move the flipper freely (from underneith) by hand?  If not then it may suggest something is binding?

Edit - couple of things, that coil stop looks to be on an aweful angle...I suspect that may be a problem as the coil is not sitting square with plunger.

Also, the coil lugs (wiring) should be at the opposite end as the coil stop has the most vibration...

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 07:26:09 PM »

Rob - That coil stop does not look like it is mounted right. The base of the coil stop is not flush with the flipper base. That would suggest (as Marty pointed out) that there will be friction.

There's a counter sunk screw in there as well. That WILL come loose eventually.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Greg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 07:36:49 PM »
Hi Robm,

With the machine switched off, can you move the flipper freely (from underneith) by hand?  If not then it may suggest something is binding?

Edit - couple of things, that coil stop looks to be on an aweful angle...I suspect that may be a problem as the coil is not sitting square with plunger.

Also, the coil lugs (wiring) should be at the opposite end as the coil stop has the most vibration...

$%$   
you da man Marty

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 07:39:08 PM »
I've had a bit of practise lately changing flippers....!

And now Cliffy ramps too....

Hmm....thinking about some LED's for the PF too!

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 11:11:52 PM »
OK, my silly fault - after resoldering everything 3 times and it working sometimes and not others, i eventually clamped the EOS switch together and it was fine.  So the problem was the new EOS switch was just a little out of adjustment (there was a small gap between the 1st contacts).... a lesson for next time!

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 11:27:05 PM »
OK, my silly fault - after resoldering everything 3 times and it working sometimes and not others, i eventually clamped the EOS switch together and it was fine.  So the problem was the new EOS switch was just a little out of adjustment (there was a small gap between the 1st contacts).... a lesson for next time!

That will do it every time!

I repaired a Big Guns today which had a weak Left Flipper sometimes... after replacing the EOS switch and adjusting it correctly, it was all good.

A good lesson though... The EOS switch is a very important part of the older flipper assemblies, and MUST be adjusted correctly.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 11:29:43 PM »

That will do it every time!

I repaired a Big Guns today which had a weak Left Flipper sometimes... after replacing the EOS switch and adjusting it correctly, it was all good.

A good lesson though... The EOS switch is a very important part of the older flipper assemblies, and MUST be adjusted correctly.

Great point.. I installed a new EOS in my (Tony's) Flash - Same one as the picture and it is assembled by PBR, but not adjusted. It is up the the installer to adjust the EOS, as each machine will have different characteristics that influence the flipper such as the length of the plunger / link..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 12:37:00 AM »

Rob
it has happened to us all,    half the fun of owning a pin is learning

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 12:40:45 AM »
I hate EOS switches. They are the thorn in my side. Getting better at adjusting them but always learning. You'll get there mate. You got some good guys helping you as well
Still loving my Metallica Premium