Author Topic: Anyone who likes astronomy...  (Read 3256 times)

stuba

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Anyone who likes astronomy...
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 11:02:25 AM »
I find it really interesting and according to some theories it will be a time of massive change. I should say I don't have any firm opinion, I prefer to believe in good things happening as opposed to the end of days theories. Lots of sites about it - google Ian lundgold or search youtube for him. There is one theory that we will reach a technological level where we will be welcomed into the galactic council..another that we will get wiped out by a comet, another that the LHC particle accelerator will finally discover the higgs particle and will simultaneoulsy open a black hole (in the UK)  %.%

What trips me out is how the hell the mayans were able to figure out a galactic calendar thousands of years ago (supposedly long before telescopes). By way of quick explanation the mayans used the solar calendar as well (365.25 days) but they also figured out a galactic calendar which is based around 260 day cycles (20 x 13). This calendar looks like a pyramid that has been running since the big bang and the absolute peak occurs 21/12/2012. maybe rack your credit card that month just in case.  %$%

Here are another couple of pictures from Darren:

For those interested they have meetings/weekends called starfest's where they go camping in a new moon and set up all their telescopes (many which run through laptops). everybody welcome regadless of whether or not you have a scope. I've never been but darren raves about it.