Author Topic: TZ Backbox 455 flasher mod  (Read 2331 times)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
TZ Backbox 455 flasher mod
« on: February 02, 2009, 10:34:13 AM »
This mod is the lead in for my door flasher mod. Shaggy and Norm  cover it in detail in the TOP 3 DVD.
It changes the #545 flashing globes which cost aprox $9ea (if you can even find them) to #455 flashing globes which cost a much more reasonable $0.50ea
All you need are six #86 globe holders

Do one at a time, pop the wires out from the black socket, knock the socket out of the backbox hole.  Slide back the wire insulation using side cutters where the wire was mounted through the socket  (do not cut wire). Then sit a globe holder in the hole and using a staple gun mount holder centrally and bend back legs. Solder wires to the bent over legs.

Install new #455 bulbs, switch on and admire your handywork

Don’t throw away the old black globe sockets you need 2 to do my door flasher mod here: http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=720.0

« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 10:42:24 AM by ktm450 »

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
Re: TZ Backbox 455 flasher mod
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 11:36:38 AM »
This mod is the lead in for my door flasher mod. Shaggy and Norm  cover it in detail in the TOP 3 DVD.
It changes the #545 flashing globes which cost aprox $9ea (if you can even find them) to #455 flashing globes which cost a much more reasonable $0.50ea
All you need are six #86 globe holders

Do one at a time, pop the wires out from the black socket, knock the socket out of the backbox hole.  Slide back the wire insulation using side cutters where the wire was mounted through the socket  (do not cut wire). Then sit a globe holder in the hole and using a staple gun mount holder centrally and bend back legs. Solder wires to the bent over legs.

Install new #455 bulbs, switch on and admire your handywork

Don’t throw away the old black globe sockets you need 2 to do my door flasher mod here: http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=720.0

Aren't the #86 globes the small globes used in CFTBL ramps and the TZ clock? I'm pretty sure you meant to say the #44 / #47 type globe sockets.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this Matt... I've done this mod to a few TZ's as the #545 are pretty much impossible to find.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 12:00:20 PM »
Aren't the #86 globes the small globes used in CFTBL ramps and the TZ clock? I'm pretty sure you meant to say the #44 / #47 type globe sockets.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this Matt... I've done this mod to a few TZ's as the #545 are pretty much impossible to find.

I ordered the holders from RS and thought they were refered to as a #86 socket, but I am unsure.  Anyway they are the same sockets as the 44s and 47s

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 12:03:52 PM »

Great mod, Matt..

Saves a few $$ !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 12:09:44 PM »

I ordered the holders from RS and thought they were refered to as a #86 socket, but I am unsure.  Anyway they are the same sockets as the 44s and 47s

They could have been called that by RS, I've never ordered globe sockets from them.