Author Topic: Sited New Stern - Some advice to Operators  (Read 300 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Sited New Stern - Some advice to Operators
« on: February 01, 2010, 04:28:20 PM »

I just don't get it..

We ALL want Stern to survive - after all they are the only producer of pinball machines left on the planet. Yesterday, I visited a family venue in the Northern suburbs. FULL of vending machines a couple of vids and a Stern Batman. Not only was it filthy, but the game was not working. The kicker would work only after giving the machine a good push. Nice..

So the kids want to play it, but they don't know "how" to play - What are the rules and what do you need to do to "beat the machine"..

Unfortunately, the instruction card WAS IN SPANISH  ^.^ ^.^ ^.^ ^.^

Seriously, it is no wonder the kids run off to the stupid novelty machines. Instead of $10 going into the Pinball it was used to win a toy in a vending machine.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Sited New Stern - Some advice to Operators
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 04:31:49 PM »
I agree nino i dont think i have played a sited machine that is clean or works 100% but a spanish instruction card what a joke  ^&^

Offline braddo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 07:28:28 PM »
Yep sounds like the 2 machines I play at my local club, except on the weekend the White Water was out of order, the South Park doesn't play right it basically always has 2 balls on the playfield, so i win games pretty easily.

The White Water plays so bad i thought it was a dud title at first, and avoided playing it for years, but that's the good 'ol Frat for ya, the Wollongong guys will know what I mean. #@#
WTB (or possibly trade) - 1980 Stern ALI

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 07:57:46 PM »
The trouble with playing sited machines is that they are in most cases dirty, broken or otherwise in need of TLC.

You are so much better off attending a collector's home to find out how a machine is meant to play.

Offline Mr Tilt

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:36:02 PM »
Stern Batman at ZAGAMES Reservoir
Played 30 minutes - 2 replays, extra balls etc in the end I left 3 credits on the machine - Wife was screaming to sit down and order!
Game was filthy but enjoyed it overall

Franks Amusements- Owns it - Rang him to sell me his 2 x MM's - Offered 10k no cigar

Offline daics3522

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:48:26 PM »
Stern NBA located at Leisure island in Morley galleria Shopping Centre here in WA is absolutely disgusting. I even spoke with the duty manager and showed him the dirt and potential problems and he just sort of shrugged it off without any care in the world......
1up Promotions provide all your promotional items... from keyrings to banners to stubby coolers etc, etc..... Anything you need just PM.... (website coming soon)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 12:01:58 AM »
and then the operators have the hide to say that they don't want to bother with pinballs as they dont make much money and they cant understand why they dont make much money  !@#  ^&^
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 02:02:59 AM »
This is why operators should not operate pinballs!!!

Most of them have no idea about maintenance, and they really only care about the cashbox... They keep telling me time and time again that pinballs make no money. No wonder... keep the pinballs clean and in good working order and they WILL make money! I've proved that many times.

I have 1 pinball in operation... a Fish Tales that makes great money. And each week I'm there to clean it and make sure it's running right.

Nothing shits me more than a pinball that's neglected that you want to play, so I will not let mine go that way.

Such a shame really, they can make great money for the operator, but the operators have no real idea what they are doing, so the machine sits there getting dirty and doesn't get the attention it requires. Then they simply say that pinballs are no good...

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 09:02:34 AM »

"in the old days.."

If a machine was not working, there was a call to the batphone / answering service. There was no way a machine would be left onsite, not working, for more than a couple hours. It would be removed from site and replaced with another. Times may have changed, but there was a certain level of "pride" back then. NO "modern" operators would have survived in the 60's - 80's. They are just too "slack".

I've been tempted to site some of my pins at Zagames - But they are "out of view".. At LEAST I'd go there once a week for a meal and I'd check the pins out VERY often.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline daics3522

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth, WA
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 12:54:24 PM »
I have 1 pinball in operation... a Fish Tales that makes great money. And each week I'm there to clean it and make sure it's running right.

$.$ Give ya $500 for it................  :lol :lol :lol
1up Promotions provide all your promotional items... from keyrings to banners to stubby coolers etc, etc..... Anything you need just PM.... (website coming soon)

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 07:48:51 PM »

I've been tempted to site some of my pins at Zagames - But they are "out of view".. At LEAST I'd go there once a week for a meal and I'd check the pins out VERY often.

Yeah, sort of around the corner where anything could happen! There was a TSPP last time I went there - but as I was straight off to a MarkC meet following that party I didn't bother as I knew there was one on the floor. Then I didn't get around to playing it anyway...