Author Topic: KISS the Rollerball nightmare begins..  (Read 3490 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: KISS the Rollerball nightmare begins..
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2009, 02:31:48 PM »
Is GOO OFF esentially the same as Goo Gone? Where can you buy it?

Bump! Anyone know?

I've bought a trigger back (large) from Bunnings in the cleaning isle.  Safeways also have it last time I checked but in the much smaller bottle.  This one was called Oomph - citris based.  ALTHOUGH - interesting that some liquid from it remained on the coloured label, which is now gone.  Completely removed all text and colour....I cannot read the ingredients to confirm for you sorry.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 02:34:38 PM by MartyJ »

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2009, 07:14:20 PM »
I got the goo off at mitre 10...goo gone is the same stuff Im thinking...

DAMN...I hate touchups...
anyway the E C T had been pulled up with the mylar...its the worst touchup Im going to need to do on the playfield...Ive had a go at it...not sure if I will leave it...touch it a bit more..or remove it all and try to get it better....

NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2009, 08:58:25 PM »
Paul,

Listen mate - the only person that will notice that is you. If you have another meet I bet that KISS will be the hot game in your collection...and a collection that is top shelf.

Keep it going, keep thinking that you DID score a bargain on eBay and that you DID upgrade from Stingray to this.  *%*

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2009, 09:00:44 PM »
New post on this subject - is making a stencil and respraying the way to go here?

Gav, Wotto, Nino and anybody else on AP what do you guys think?

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2009, 09:09:15 PM »
It looks big in that pic but really its quite small an area...would be hard to make a stencil..
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2009, 09:13:25 PM »
RB,

Are you planning on mylar for the playfield or CC?  I've found some of my artwork touchups look a lot neater under mylar...

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2009, 09:14:17 PM »
It looks big in that pic but really its quite small an area...would be hard to make a stencil..

Paul,

The point I'm trying to make is - you seem defeated - please keep going on this game. Removing mylar is real hit and miss. Give this game 2 weeks and you will be feeling positive again.

Trust me - have been down this road a hundred times before

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2009, 09:25:45 PM »
I have given up taking any more mylar off....just not worth it i dont think...the paint on this machine doesnt like it..lol
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
i think i would use the freeze spray myself, it just sounds easier. ^&^

cheers Ian

Offline SPURR

• Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2009, 10:58:12 PM »
Try this. when lifting the mylar try pulling it at a full 180 degrees whilst heating it .protect the art work where you have removed the mylar all ready with a thin piece of cardboard to protect the art work from heat.keep moving the cardboard as you go and use more more heat the hotter the better. If you loose art work SHIT HAPPENS you CAN touch up !
Now the art work trying to write letters or staight lines free hand looks crap (sticks out like dogs balls ). The way to make it look professional I use model makers painting tape you get it at a hobbie shop, its yellow in colour and it's great. All you pin guys out there you must buy it ! It comes in different widths 4mm up to 30 mm which is great for dead straight lines. Its also very thin like cig paper and  low tack great for back glasses. If you get the 4mm tape use it on the bottom and the front edge of you letter that is damaged , the E for eg  ( by the way the tape will arc very easy ) such in the case where you letters are arced. Use a very small art brush, I also use the little paint tins that you can buy at the hobbie shop when your there. Buy a range of colours there cheap and they have heaps of different colours and there turps based if you make a mistake wipe it off with a rag and turps.
So come'on take all the mylar off and touch up the whole playfield. When your finished I would re-mylar the playfield. It will look brand new when your finished.
Ive done heaps of playfields and back glasses If you need help Im here  %$%

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2009, 01:35:24 AM »
New post on this subject - is making a stencil and respraying the way to go here?

Gav, Wotto, Nino and anybody else on AP what do you guys think?

Do you mean the cabinet, Tony ?

Paul - post more pix of the areas you are concerned with.

You probably need to add more heat to the topside of the mylar before removing the mylar. I've been impatient after a few beers and caused some problems before. This takes time.

My Paragon took almost 30 hours to remove the contact.

My Solar Ride took 20 minutes.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2009, 06:43:49 AM »
Im not going to keep the KISS anyway..its not a machine I will enjoy playing...Mostly I bought it to make some cash on to buy something else...so If I can get it working and resell it for around $3000 I would be happy...anything more would be a bonus...that guy from ebat tried to go over the top of me and offer $2200 for it not working so $3000 working should be poss...
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2009, 08:21:49 AM »
Paul was this the plan all along, or has the mylar removal soured you with this machine.
we all get to a point when doing a restore and think what the hell did i start this for.

any way should be a good money maker, good luck with the sale.

cheers Ian

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2009, 09:09:17 AM »
Was bought to make some cash on really...as Im not a KISS fan and the game looks boring to play....but for $1500 I know what they can go for...so had to grab it....probably my first machine Ive ever bought really just to make some cash on...damn that sounds bad doesnt it...lol...still we have all probably done that at some stage....If it was a Haunted House,Joker poker, or Black Hole it wouldnt be going anywhere in a hurry...lol
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2009, 07:23:45 PM »
Just my 2c worth, but if its not a keeper and your planning on selling it on, I would not do anything more - ie mylar removal or touchups....I may get flamed here - but me for buying a project - which heaps and heaps of pin fans out there I'm sure would want to see a beast in her original state, not touched up etc...I prefer to see in her original uglyness.....warts and all.

Or......go the whole hog, send cab and playfield off to Flipper Rescue - spend the cash knowing you'll get it back and have it fully restored.. I'm sure you can do all the electrics and furniture....then sell her for $5 - $7k.

There will be people out there willing to spend BIG $$ getting her back to original glory....