Author Topic: Creature From the Black Lagoon of decay  (Read 7423 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Re: Creature From the Black Lagoon of decay
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 09:52:19 PM »
The KBS isn't thin enough and so any trapped air wont rise up through the coat and leave a smooth surface. My guess is that you used a roller?
Yep. Although for the 2nd coat i used a fine brush thingy call a shur line from bunnings. Not sure if this is better? Would you suggest brushing over rolling?

I have basic spray gear i use for painting the cabs, just not sure i have the confidence with clear and spraying! If i did, what size tip would you recommend?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Believe me.. KBS is much easier to use through a spray gun. Tip I have in my gun is 1.8mm.
Humidity wont be such an issue with KBS as it is slow curing ( same as a polyurethane). Humidity is an issue with clear coats because the clear starts to set with air borne moisture trapped inside it.. not so with KBS.
I thin mine down 50/50 and will do 4 or 5 passes with the gun. It is self leveling and so will roll towards a lower edge etc. Use a spirit level to make sure the PF is dead straight.
NEVER.. I mean NEVER!!! Use a roller.. the amount of air that rollers push into a substance is huge. Those little foam rollers that are used for a smooth coat can work but it is risky.
Ive seen results with a paint brush and its mirror like.. but if the KBS isn't thin enough then it cannot self level and will trap air etc.
Go have another crack at it.. bottom line is that I don't think you can have it too thin, only too thick