Author Topic: Custon made ramps  (Read 6823 times)

Offline RBS Dave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Custon made ramps
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 10:02:30 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback!

Would you believe I actually use MIG. I've been welding 3mm rod together for about 4 years now, so have managed to keep welds tidy.  I know there's a difference and I'd love to TIG, but for now, in my 2m x 3m workshop, MIG will just have to do.

Remember, I can always do special mods for ramps, if you feel like a change, ie: spiral ramps where once there was no spiral. I might have to invest in a few pinball balls, so that I can test tracks easily.

Dendoc - really great to see my sculpture again.

Anyway, for now... you know where to find me.

Cheers

David

Offline solar value

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 10:58:41 PM »
Hi Dave,

Welcome to the forum.

Boy, am I glad you showed up here! I need something made, a custom wire-form ramp, but it could be tricky seeing as you are in SA and I am in Melbourne.

It's for the game Haunted House. That particular game has three levels and the ball travels between them during the game. There's three different ways that the ball can enter the lower playfield. In each of these places the ball falls down a hole in the main playfield onto on a short ramp attached to the underside of the playfield (a subway). However these subways end rather abruptly and the ball simply rolls off them, falls a couple of inches and lands near the flippers of the lower playfield. The lower playfield gets beaten up pretty quickly seeing as there's a metal ball dropping a reasonable distance onto a painted piece of wood.

So, anyway, what I need made is a wire-form ramp which can collect the ball as it comes down from the main playfield and rolls along the various subways. This ramp would also be attached to the underside of the main playfield and would transport the ball to a place on the lower playfield where it could be deposited more gently, probably via a spring loaded mechanism.

After having a look at your sculptures I can see you are the man for the job, your sculptures are way more complicated than the ramp which I require. The problem is that you would need to be able to access the game to make the sculpture. Maybe I could find someone near you who owns a Haunted House and might be willing to let you access it and take the measurements you need.

I thought I was going to have to make it myself so I made a thread asking for suggestions here:
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=9583.0
I didn't get very far, however, and you already have all the skills.

Regards, SV.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 02:27:34 PM »

Fantastic workmanship. I'll be beta testing his ramps - going for a  spiral on TZ.

Something like this?

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 01:50:17 PM »
I've got one of David's sculptures, called SWITCH. It is fantastic, and everyone comments on how great it is to watch. Over 8 switches in it giving dozens of combinations of pathways for the balls to travel.

this is the youtube link, and photo at home.

Fantastic workmanship. I'll be beta testing his ramps - going for a  spiral on TZ.

Very cool  ()