Author Topic: Creature - Replacement Hologram 2013  (Read 12876 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Creature - Replacement Hologram 2013
« on: January 03, 2013, 07:59:22 AM »
Henrik from Pinball_Dreams in Germany are working on a replacement hologram - info copied from Pinside  &&

"Hi there again,

I'm happy to announce that I just got off the phone with Rick from Planetary Pinballs. PP are a great partner of us and we just agreed that FINALLY a perfect reproduction of Creature from the Black Lagoon holo simply must hit the market. There have been several more or less good attempts on that topic in the past, but none of them was really convincing so far. So we'll try our best to deliver this product as soon as possible.

There are of course some issues to be solved but already much work has been put into this project. I've talked to a lot of guys so far and now I finally found a company over here in Germany who are doing holos for over 35 years right now. I have a great feeling that these guys really know what they do and I have a great feeling about them. They immediately knew that only a specific foil from the 90's can be used for this project, the have a perfect sample of original holo which is bright and green.

The original figure of course is not available any more but a modelling school might be able to make a perfect 1:1 model of creature figure. Once this is done the actual repros are no huge problem any more.

So guys...let me know what you think on this topic - I formyself would love to have a brand new repro for one of my favorite pinball machines

Have a great day or eve - anyway have fun - we'll keep you informed
Cheers

Henrik"

"Don't know exactly how they are made in the end, but they are clearley made from a 1:1 modell. So everything could be used, but i surely don't wanna start a conversation concerning the model. We'll concentrate on 1:1 reproduction ...just like the original one was. Sure there might be nicer figures but we want the original look....and nope: no custom holos possible - not untill you wanna pay for the master holo which is a couple of thousands already... 

I'll post pics of figure once done
Cheers

Henrik"

"Good morning,

just got off the phone with holo studio.

We 3d scanned a very similar figure of the original holo - still not 100% the same. At the moment a 3d artist works on the last details to make it look 1:1. This 3d model then will be 3d printed and here we go. We expect this model around 10th of January. Will post pics of this whole process very soon

Once this model is accepted from all parties involved, it'll take aprox 20 more days before we can provide the first holos. So by end of January the first holo repros should be available

Have a great week guys and girls
cheers

Henrik"

"Hi there,

as promised - some news beginning of January. Just received the first draft from my 3d guy - I think we're already VERY close to the original - enjoy 

Happy new year to everybody
cheers

Henrik"
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
Re: Creature - Replacement Hologram 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 08:06:59 AM »
Well - there is some great news for CFTBL owners  ^^^
I know people who ( I think stupidly ) refuse to own this game totally because of the hologram issues that a lot of the games end up suffering.
This will ultimately solve that.
DW Drums rule !

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:21:39 AM »
Will stay tuned

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 08:41:14 AM »

Great news, thanks for posting the info!  ^^^
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline coon82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 10:03:08 AM »
Great news.
Finally, there sounds like a good solution to a long standing problem. Gotta hand it to the Germans  *%*

I know people who ( I think stupidly ) refuse to own this game totally because of the hologram issues that a lot of the games end up suffering.
This will ultimately solve that.

Good point Wotto. There may be even more interest is this pin if the new hologram does the trick.
Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 11:21:35 AM »
I agree also Wotto that people won't buy it unless a holo is present is crazy. My didn't come with one so I bought a transparent green collectors figure and hooked up a green led and it works great but a holo would even better. The time he comes up is bugger all - a quick flash or two here and there, people should be buying regardless and do a mod a few options out there.

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=6810.0
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 11:23:12 AM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline ausrhino

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Dalby
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 11:37:43 AM »
I just recently got myself a CFTBL - and I have also been speaking with with Mike D about his LCD replacement option he is developing. http://s437400854.onlinehome.us/?page_id=15

I would like to see what the pricing for this new holo is going to come in at - seems a like a very good time for the creatures.  Decisions - Decisions.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 11:43:02 AM »
Yeah, that one is cool.

Here is AP thread link on that one
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=9362.0

And an Aussie Dan has one as well, but have not heard any progress reports for a while and his link is this thread
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=8734.0
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:45:06 AM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 10:49:26 PM »
Hi pinball heads,

to follow is a photo of the final (still virtual) figure we're gonna use. The shading of the eyes and mouth will of course be made prior to producing the hologram.

I'm of course aware of the fact that some of you fear that the same thing could happen like the repros from ip some years ago - holos turned red after a while. I can only repeat myself: my partner where the first ones over here in Germany who produced holos back in the mid 70's. When he received the original holo he exactly new which foil must be used for those holos. We're using exact the same material as the original ones from the 90's. My partner is 100% sure that those holos won't turn red and actually he has no idea how they could turn red - they must have been used the completely wrong material....

Till very soon - enjoy
Cheers

Henrik

Hi,

please be a little bit patient with the price - we simply cannot say something about that. One thing is clear - it won't be anywhere around the prices which were paid for the last original NOS ones in the past years. We were already talking about an end customer price we have in mind but I simply cannot communicate it here and now. I think the price will be reasonable, but cannot be cheap

We wanted to provide a perfect quality and therefor all people involved are genius in what they do and had to be paid according to that. For example a university professor for 3D modelling and 3D arts in Hamburg worked on the model for over 30 hours (just to give you an impression:)

Cheers

Henrik

btw: I really don't think one could compare a monitor screen solution with the "real thing". How much is the monitor solution ??

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 06:08:03 PM »
another small update:

"Again - good morning

Update: unfortunately the 3D company was aprox 4 weeks later with supplying the model. It finally arrived at the holo studio today. They're working on the master now (should be done in 10 days) and then the first holo's can be produced. Meanwhile the mounting plate has to be done - so I can proudly annouce: the final product will now be ready within a very short preiod of time. For today please find a picture of the **REAL FIGURE** which I received from the company

Thx again and have a great time - till VERY soon

Henrik"

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 03:03:40 PM »
latest update yesterday:

"Good morning everybody,

so...just very brief. I'll reveal the mystery   Here's the pricing for the holo

- Pre-Order (early bird price) will be 299$ (net price)
- holos will be shipped with no VAT charged to any country outside Europe
- shipping will be around 25$ to the US

I will set up a preorderlist as soon as I have the first samples and I'm sure they are as perfect as I expect them to be. So PLEASE WAIT with any order - I'm back to you hopefully end of next week and will provide order details.

Have a great easter
cheers

Henrik"

This sounds like if you don't get with the pre-order this holo could go higher $350 at a guess, Dan's lcd option is around the low to mid $300 I think and then the US lcd has not had a price release but it is believed that you must locate and purchase the particular design lcd yourself to save on freight and the price in the states is $200 for the tv / monitor so this mod may end up being around the $500 ????? - Dan's is looking good

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 04:52:28 PM »
$300 sounds an awful lot for something I could have made in China for under $2 each for 1000pcs (plus tooling costs) ???

I understand tooling costs only too well but they must be doing their sums on selling VERY few of these to come up with that sort of figure or have HUGE setup costs???

My preliminary investigations into this product revealed tooling of around $500

Making a guess at sales of 100pcs over 2 years (just a guess) of $35 each brings in $3500

Their costs would obviously be a lot higher but will the finished product be any better than one made in PRC?? For my money, I would certainly buy one at $35 but $300 I would baulk at.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 05:49:32 PM »
I think their prices are covering the "labour of love" time and money to develop the model to create the hologram image

I believe if they sold for $150 each they would sell alot, I am not going to pay $300 especially when it is a repro, sight unseen and not from the original mould / tooling.

And then you get a crazy ebay sale the other day for a hologram, hopefully not artificial to make the new ones look like good value

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hologram-Creature-from-the-Black-Lagoon-Pinball-CFTBL-New-Bright-Green-/230947805375?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c58fd8bf
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 05:55:45 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 06:14:41 PM »
$300 sounds an awful lot for something I could have made in China for under $2 each for 1000pcs (plus tooling costs) ???

I understand tooling costs only too well but they must be doing their sums on selling VERY few of these to come up with that sort of figure or have HUGE setup costs???

My preliminary investigations into this product revealed tooling of around $500

Making a guess at sales of 100pcs over 2 years (just a guess) of $35 each brings in $3500

Their costs would obviously be a lot higher but will the finished product be any better than one made in PRC?? For my money, I would certainly buy one at $35 but $300 I would baulk at.

+1

Some people just try n rip into fellow pinheads.
I know its no difference to any other business (maximum profit is the name of the game) but it just seems when a fellow pinhead is selling something at a massive profit, it tends to annoy you (well, me anyway).
Personally, If I found something, or invented something for a pinny, I would try n cover my costs n add something reasonable to cover time n effort driving to the post office. I would rather see a thousand people using my mod and make nothing so to speak, versus making 3 or 4 grand and only have 100 people using it. But I could be wrong.

I have to add Mikes Business (Homepins) is totally different, he has invested dozens of thousands of dollars and paid out for airfares over n over again to go to China to manufacture various computer boards and DMD displays etc, I will happily pay Mike the same money, or even slightly more to buy his DMD's/products when they are available, just to support a fellow Aussie/AP member who deserves the business all day long.

$300 for that Creature product seems very very expensive, but the crazy thing is, some people will just pay it as a one off. Its a crazy pinball world !
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:17:14 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 06:17:56 PM »
And then you get a crazy ebay sale the other day for a hologram, hopefully not artificial to make the new ones look like good value

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hologram-Creature-from-the-Black-Lagoon-Pinball-CFTBL-New-Bright-Green-/230947805375?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35c58fd8bf

Sheesh...600 for a blurry PinballHeaven repro.

Illinois Pinball also remade a repro version a few years back (around the $300 US mark as well from memory) and tried to go the cost cutting route by using sub standard holo materials...half of the finished holograms ended up turning red or having the image deteriorate within 18 months.

I think this is a repro item where you just cannot cut corners to get a quality finished product (and if that results in a premium price, so be it).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:21:34 PM by pinsanity »