Author Topic: TAG - Thunderbirds Pinball - parts update thread  (Read 97051 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Aye.. unsoldering the lamp socket..GONE!

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re:
« Reply #376 on: June 26, 2015, 08:14:29 PM »
The unsoldering was fine...it was the freaking re soldering and trying to staple the poxy leads back down that drove me nuts!

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re:
« Reply #377 on: June 26, 2015, 08:26:19 PM »
The unsoldering was fine...it was the freaking re soldering and trying to staple the poxy leads back down that drove me nuts!
people always say how difficult/frustrating it is to do pop bumpers, but have to agree, the pissy part was always the resolder and staple part  @@^
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
True... how many bumper skirts have I melted with a soldering iron reattaching the bulb feeds?

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
True... how many bumper skirts have I melted with a soldering iron reattaching the bulb feeds?
dunno how good you are at soldering, but me, hmmmmm. So many times I'm concentrating so hard, that the smell of plastic, wire insulation catches my attention coz the shaft of my iron is leaning on stuff while every appendage I have is trying to hold the pop bumper light wires in place  %.%

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Some more springs were delivered today and they fit perfectly.

Note that this is our test mechanism and the metal parts have not been plated.

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
We are pretty happy with the mechanisms we have designed up. All pretty basic and simple and NOTHING here that "re-invents" the wheel. Just good, solid, SIMPLE engineering that we trust will be reliable and easy to maintain.

There have been lots of mods since these pictures were taken and also please note that these are engineering samples so none of the metal parts are plated.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Hi Mike, are those metal targets? Excuse my ignorance, but if so, have such targets been used before on any past pinballs? Also if metal, they obviously wouldn't break like plastic ones but what about deforming/bending?

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Hi Mike, are those metal targets? Excuse my ignorance, but if so, have such targets been used before on any past pinballs? Also if metal, they obviously wouldn't break like plastic ones but what about deforming/bending?

They are CNC milled aluminium and (so far) our tests have failed to break or bend any. We have subjected them to quite a lot of testing and also several different types of finish.

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Yes, a REAL, mechanical knocker!

Offline Wiked

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
Great work Mike! ...... I'm happy it will come with a knocker.   It's one of the reasons I don't like Stern's.

All real pinballs comes with a knocker.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Great work Mike! ...... I'm happy it will come with a knocker.   It's one of the reasons I don't like Stern's.

All real pinballs comes with a knocker.
I like knockers but I don't think it would be a deal breaker in not buying a Stern. I think I'd grab a metallica in a heart beat, knocker or no knocker. But yes great work Mike in including one  ^^^

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
Re: TAG - Thunderbirds Pinball - parts update thread
« Reply #387 on: August 08, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
Injection moulding is a tricky business. The picture of the blue part is an early test moulding of our Pop Bumper frame and it clearly shows "wrinkling" or an uneven surface finish on the exact place it should be flat. This inside area is where the metal parts mount and ideally needs to be dead flat.

We inspected several parts from other manufacturers and found them to be much the same with the uneven surface finish causing some assembly problems.

The second test part (not in the final colour we will use) shows a part made with a plastic batch that has an additive that prevents this shrinkage in the finished part - MUCH better! It gives the part a pearl or slightly fiberglass look.

The assemblies fit together EXACTLY the same every time.

Offline solar value

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #388 on: August 19, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
Mike just posted this link on his facebook page.

http://www.licensing.biz/news/read/thunderbirds-are-go-gathers-momentum-in-new-zealand-and-australia/042577

Funny thing is, look at the resemblance between the guy who wrote the article and the main Thunderbirds character, creepy!

Offline Homepin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #389 on: August 19, 2015, 11:23:47 PM »
Mike just posted this link on his facebook page.

http://www.licensing.biz/news/read/thunderbirds-are-go-gathers-momentum-in-new-zealand-and-australia/042577

Funny thing is, look at the resemblance between the guy who wrote the article and the main Thunderbirds character, creepy!

LOL - I didn't notice that but you are right.