Author Topic: GTB Hit The Deck first EM restoration  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Pauly540

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • BOTANY NSW
Re: GTB Hit The Deck first EM restoration
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 06:52:20 PM »
I did find a few more pictures and of course, that final completed picture with new tempered glass. Excuse the junk underneath.  !@)

It’s a bit hard to tell, but I did speckle after the base colour. After looking at many pictures on the web, some were heavily speckled and some looked like there was nothing at all, so I went in-between, with the wire brush ‘flick’ method.

The coin door is in excellent condition. No dents or extra holes drilled in it. After about 5-10 hours!!! of rust removal, cleaning, polishing and a new decal, the only thing left is to remove the two heavy deliberate scratches on coin entries. After reading a few posts, I will attempt the re-graining method.

I didn't really take any pictures of the mechanical repairs. This machine had many ‘intermittent’ issues. Apart from sticky score reels, I found that whenever ‘gently’ pulling on wires/probing with the multi meter, some just fell off their soldered joints, so in the end, I just re-soldered ‘EVERY’ wire connection (hence the many months). I suppose you can’t trust 30+ year old solder.

The last issue (that was driving me nuts from day one) was that it kept kicking out the ball after ‘Game Over’; you had to shoot this ball over a dead playfield, before you start a new game. I finally tracked it down to a worn bush on the ‘Ball count unit’ shaft. A new bush required on next parts order.
Next project is 1984 Williams ‘Space Shuttle’ which has been patently waiting for me.
Stencils arrived last week for US (Ebay). New ramp and Shuttle toy already received from RTBB. I’ll start a new post as I progress, instead of jamming it all in one post.
Thanks everyone for their kind comments.
Regards,
Paul.