Author Topic: Bally Fathom Restoration  (Read 4316 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Bally Fathom Restoration
« on: April 10, 2011, 11:15:03 PM »

At long last, I'm going to start the restoration of one of my "all time" favorite games - Bally Fathom. This machine is quite rare in Australia, and most that I've seen have worn playfields or bakglasses with significant paint loss. Thanks to CPR, Playfields and Backglasses are readily available. This machine needs neither.

This game is one of three Fathoms I own, and is easily the best. It was recently shopped by the previous owner prior to me buying it. It was purchased from Europe in my container in 2009. Although it is shopped, it is not up to my standards, so it will be restored - but it won't need too much work. As you can see from the pictures, I could easily leave it "as is". But there are a few things I don't like and I will address them during the process.

Condition Report

Playfield - 8/10. It is in REALLY nice condition with no major wear spots. I'd say that it was operated for a few years and then the operator applied mylar. It is too thick to be contact. The mylar is in great shape, so I'm not going to risk removing it. Ball swirl is evident in the pale blue areas. I might change my mind as I progress, but if I'm unsure, I won't remove it. There are a few broken plastics, but I have spares. Pop bumper caps are broken and the white "123" Drop Targets are worn. All will be replaced. For an original playfield, it is really nice.

Backglass - 10/10 - Perfect. Not more I can say !

Cabinet - 8/10 - no fade, no scratches and hardly any issues that I need to deal with. I think that the backglass surround has been repainted - an exact color match and very hard to spot. The coin door has had some strange hack jobs. The "coin eject" button has the coin switch wired to it, so you press the button to get credits. Wires are floating around, so I will need to address that.

Electronics - 10/10 - Boards are clean, no acid damage on the CPU board as a remote battery holder was installed.

Overall, the game is in excellent condition, and I've been playing it (and Viking) for most of today. Viking is next in the Queue !

Here's some pictures of the game "as is" !

Playfield is very colorful and in great condition

Backglass is in a league of its own  *%*  %.%

The first step is to write down what parts it needs, and if I don't have have those parts already then I will order them.

$#$
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline deadlydave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
Re: Bally Fathom Restoration
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 11:29:22 PM »
Very nice Nino, look forward to seeing it gleaming!

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 11:53:32 PM »
Thats a nice machine, Nino.

I cant imagine it being more perfect than it is, but being owned by Aussie pinballs resident "perfectionist"  then anythings possible I suppose %.%.

I have never seen let alone played a Fathom, but I would definately buy one on the strength of the artwork alone, It really is visually stunning and is definately now on the "wishlist".

Be great to see how it turns out.

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 12:24:47 AM »
Very nice looking machine.
I really love the art, I can see why it's a popular title.

I want one of those backglasses. Very cool :D
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 08:56:01 AM »
Been looking forward to this one mate!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 10:21:08 AM »
Great looking game already Nino. Love that backglass  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 11:04:50 AM »
The colours in this game are pretty full on, especially in the backglass.  As you describe Nino, this being a fairly rare game, you would have to be stoked to have received it with the /10 numbers you have given it for the BG, cab, and electronics.  No question the side of the cab gets your attention.

Also interesting is the bonus - a blue bonus and green bonus.  I can't recall ever seeing a pin with a dual bonus system - cool!

In-line targets - always a great feature, and two of these banks on this one (and like the way they did one of these at the very top of the PF).

Overall, the game is in excellent condition, and I've been playing it (and Viking) for most of today. Viking is next in the Queue !

Viking -  #.# #.#

What are those female pseudo-mermaids doing to that poor chap anyway?  Or maybe I shouldn't ask!

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 11:06:10 AM »
Looking forward to this. That backglass is stunning. Would be good to squeeze one of these games between my Viking and Paragon, but don't like my chances of finding one.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 11:33:22 AM »
Beautiful machine, love the artwork, looking forward to the resto mate ^^^

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 03:15:45 PM »
Be watching with interest,but she looks good all ready.

Backglass looks very good.
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 03:57:21 PM »
Very excited about this one Nino seen one in your shed the first time and have been hanging out for the restore.

She is in good condition that's for sure be even better once you weave your magic

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 07:11:38 PM »
Looking forward to seeing this.

That is one excellent example that you have there.

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 08:38:08 PM »
Looking forward to this restore Nino.
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline big dog

• Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 08:54:08 PM »
gotta be the best art work game out,don't own one ,but at night they are the most beautiful blue eye catching game out and are great to play. Nino , what a game to own.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 11:31:08 PM »

Fathom is the "full package" and I'm lucky that I have the opportunity to restore this classic.

Not that much to speak of in terms of an update, but I stripped the playfield to access the overall condition. I'm REALLY pleased with it. Mylar removal is simply "out of the question". Too risky, and the clown that installed it didn't clean the playfield properly before laying it down. Not to worry, I will polish the mylar with the tresurecove kit and the shine will detract from any issues. The only problem is the aqua blue color (mid playfield) - it has ball swirl and the camera angle and flash really highlight it. So it had a lot of play prior to the mylar, but it has been preserved and is the best original playfield I've seen for a while. It will still look awesome !

Here's the top section. There is ALWAYS wear around the lane guides. Not this playfield.

Ball swirl under the mermaid - on the left side of the playfield.

Lower section is really nice. I have not even cleaned this playfield and I see great potential !

^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia