Author Topic: Bally Fathom Restoration  (Read 4316 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Bally Fathom Restoration
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 11:50:14 PM »

After some practice with the airbrush and the clear that I'm using, I am slowly convincing myself to clearcoat this playfield. I've had emcouraging results with the Aces High and Buccanneer and I'm going to clearcoat an old playfield over the easter break for some experience. In the meantime, I've completely stripped the game of every nut and bolt and started to clean and polish varioius parts.

The lower cabinet has to support the heavy playfield (4 Bank targets), so it utilizes the supports used on the Bally EMs. The power supply is also located in the lower cabinet. First thing to do is strip the cabinet. Here's a "before" picture ;

The section between the head and the lower cabinet needed a new coat of paint. The grill will also be repainted. Sand with 100 Grit, then 240 Grit.

Mask off the area and give it a quick respay. The grill is also repainted at the same time ;

The lower cabinet "underside" was very ugly. There was some corrosion, and this needed to be arrested. I used a wirewheel on my cordless drill and grinded away the corrosion and surface rust. I prepped the area for something "a little bit different"

I use "rust guard hammer finish" for Stern Coin Doors, but I thought it would be GREAT to protect the metal from further corrosion. I only need one pass on this area - so I masked it off and gave it a quick spray. I was pleasantly surprised and I will be using this technique with all future restores !

Inside the cabinet is cleaned. The head support looks great !

Cabinet is cleaned and I'm thinking of filling in the area (near the tail) and painting over it. Very pleased so far ;

Very pleased with the progress so far !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia