Author Topic: Bally Fathom Restoration  (Read 4313 times)

Offline TUF-427

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane Queensland Australia
Re: Bally Fathom Restoration
« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2011, 10:56:27 AM »
Beautiful work we can all aspire to,

Id never seen a Fathom before fantastic looking machine!
Firepower, F14 Tomcat, Terminator2, Twilight Zone, No Fear, TAF, Hyperball, Sttng....

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2011, 11:44:01 AM »
WOW  ^&^.  That looks so so so so so so so so so so so so so good Nino if any game needs a wet look playfield it's definitely fathom really looks like the mermaids are underwater.

Well done might have to look at adding a fathom to my collection  ^^^

Offline tonyt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2011, 04:45:23 PM »
Great work Nino, fantastic looking game.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2011, 11:46:24 PM »

I did take some pictures with my old camera and they turned out poorly, so I've been fiddling with my new iPhone and the camera is really good - but I've had to muck around with settings etc etc..

The FINAL step for this machine was to install new legs (from PBR). Something interesting to note with PBR legs is that you CANNOT fit the original leg bolts. I like all my machines to have the original parts where possible, but the PBR legs have their legbolt holes TOO BIG in diameter. So the original bolts (14mm) don't fit, they cut into the holes and it just looks stupid. So I've installed the 16 mm legbolts commonly fitted to Gottliebs. I wanted to finish this game with PBR legs, and it just looks amazing.

I had a FRUSTRATING time troubleshooting a problem that I was suspecting was the switch matrix, but I could not narrow it down. The problem only happened when the second drop target (from the left hand bank) was dropped and you hit the rebound switch behind the target bank and you would score that value (500) AND the value of the left hand rollovers (1000). Indeed, it was the switch matrix, and I snipped the switch capacitors from the row and columns until I found the culprit - the topmost rollover had a faulty capacitor. I ended up replacing all of them and now the game is reliable.

I also removed the "Homepin" MPU board from the Viking, and placed it in this game.

The game is 100% working and is an absolute blast to play. It will be delivered to its new owner next weekend. I'm very pleased with the amount of work on this game and the results it has given me. There is no doubt, that FATHOM is one of the best machines ever made.

The next pics are taken with my iPhone - so I'm not sure if they are going to look great or not !

Thanks for following this thread and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did !

:D
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline spook

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane, QLD
« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2011, 11:57:58 PM »
Awesome job .... and a great thread to show the progress.  Sure wish it was finishing up at my place!  Excellent work!   #*#
Wanted: Another Williams Flash

Offline Pinprick

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2011, 12:07:02 AM »
Awesome job .... and a great thread to show the progress.  Sure wish it was finishing up at my place!  Excellent work!   #*#

Likewise.
I have never had the pleasure of playing a working Fathom, let alone a superbly restored one like this.
Ah well . . . maybe one fine day  !!!
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2011, 10:58:57 AM »
Awesome job mate, beautiful machine  ^^^

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2011, 11:14:21 AM »
New owner will be stoked! Another Nino quality job  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2011, 12:57:13 PM »
A pleasure following this one, Nino.  Fathoms would have to be quite a rare title ..... I have never seen one listed on eBay, and this is the first mentioning of it I have seen.  Well done. ^^^