Author Topic: Refinishing GOLD parts - Yes or No ?  (Read 1523 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Refinishing GOLD parts - Yes or No ?
« on: October 25, 2011, 11:49:54 PM »

As part of the WCS 94 Restoration, I'm thinking of repainting the coin toss assembly. These get really worn, and I sent mine off to MartyJ to have then TIG welded. We spoke about the factory part and agreed that it was quite possibly painted, rather than dipped. During the repair, Marty scraped away some of the GOLD finish, and it came off easily, with the normal metal finish underneath.

So one idea is to repaint the assembly GOLD and then clearcoating it. I have read stories on RGP where the gold paint eventually peels off and chips of the paint end up on the playfield etc..

The other idea is to polish it - which could be an option as I've already buffed the top section and it looks very good.

I'm after opinion - so if anyone has had success / failures with painting metal gold, I'd like to hear from you ? If anyone would like to post their  :2cents: , you are more than welcome !

<..>
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Refinishing GOLD parts - Yes or No ?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 01:19:07 AM »
Nino, I took some parts to a professional plating company and wanted them done gold. I discussed every option available, and was told that in most cases, most metals are copper plated to get the gold look, the buffed, then clearcoated etc. They turn out "gold" like gold bars, not copper looking at all.

The bottom line was, that the only real way to get a real gold look finish was to plate with real gold which is just too expensive and not $$ realistic. The fellow who has been plating for many many years and reckons the best finish to use so u get many years of hard wearing with no flaking was to "annodise in gold". The finish wasnt as bling as the "copper plating" plus clearcoat, but its the best for "hard wearing, long term durability".

It gets down to "annodise" or get it "copper plated" then have it clearcoated, but it will look crappy after a few years IF the metal is used or touched during its normal usage. If its never touched or used, then copper plating with buffing plus clearcoat will stay perfect forever, if out of the weather.
The Plating company gave me the full 30 minute explanation so I could ultimately make the right decision. "Annodising" for working parts, or "copper plating, plus buff, plus clearcoat" for non working parts.  U could always buff what u have, then clearcoat to stop degradation of the current gold finish.  ^^^ ^^^ Hope it helps.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline necroscope

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 09:06:11 AM »
Not relavant to your question nino but Here is some interesting information on nickel plating nino,if you decide to go that way according to the article  the desired finish can be obtained with using 2-3 finishes overlapping.i doubt a painted finish will hold up with the constant ball wear.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=j6yitnDWd7IC&pg=PA22&lpg=PA22&dq=what+plating+is+used+for+trophys&source=bl&ots=mebw0RwuB_&sig=UrSorPjnrtYORtE7UXe_qmN0xJI&hl=en&ei=3yCnTp3GBOOwiQe5gpSjDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 09:25:46 AM by necroscope »

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 09:51:42 AM »
Be interested in what you decide to do.  I have some wire ramps that I want to have redone, but can't decide on the plating method.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 10:41:38 AM »
Not relavant to your question nino but Here is some interesting information on nickel plating nino,if you decide to go that way according to the article  the desired finish can be obtained with using 2-3 finishes overlapping.i doubt a painted finish will hold up with the constant ball wear.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=j6yitnDWd7IC&pg=PA22&lpg=PA22&dq=what+plating+is+used+for+trophys&source=bl&ots=mebw0RwuB_&sig=UrSorPjnrtYORtE7UXe_qmN0xJI&hl=en&ei=3yCnTp3GBOOwiQe5gpSjDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&sqi=2&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

I have a Nickel plating bath in my garage, but it won't be able to successfully plate a part this size. I would have to take to a Business that does the plating for me. But I'm curious as to why I should have to plate it - as the finish looks like it was originally painted.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 11:18:09 AM »
its possible that its a 2 pac gold or maybe even a monokan base paint.. not sure if you can get a powder coat gold

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 11:22:45 AM »
Nino,

I've just fired an email off to Jpop to see if he knows what the factory finish was.

The finish seems so thin (ie can rub through with a scotch brite pad very easily) I'd be surprised if it was plated, but you never know.

Worst case we should be able to source some 2k gold and clear coat it (again in 2k).  Would not be a cheap option, however I would be reasonably confident it should stand up OK.

Offline necroscope

• Forum Posts:
  • Romsey Vic
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 12:10:24 PM »

I have a Nickel plating bath in my garage, but it won't be able to successfully plate a part this size. I would have to take to a Business that does the plating for me. But I'm curious as to why I should have to plate it - as the finish looks like it was originally painted.
Bit hard for me to tell from the photo whether it's plated or not,but from the photo it looks a similar finish to a couple of greyhound trophy's i have seen,and i have been reading up on the different plate techniques used for trophy's as the finishes on some of the trophys i have would look great on a pinball.sorry to post in your thread mate.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 12:15:26 PM »
Nino,

I've just fired an email off to Jpop to see if he knows what the factory finish was.

The finish seems so thin (ie can rub through with a scotch brite pad very easily) I'd be surprised if it was plated, but you never know.

Worst case we should be able to source some 2k gold and clear coat it (again in 2k).  Would not be a cheap option, however I would be reasonably confident it should stand up OK.

I think this might be worth exploring Marty. Could also come in handy for habittrails and ramps. Looking forward to his reply !

Bit hard for me to tell from the photo whether it's plated or not,but from the photo it looks a similar finish to a couple of greyhound trophy's i have seen,and i have been reading up on the different plate techniques used for trophy's as the finishes on some of the trophys i have would look great on a pinball.sorry to post in your thread mate.

No apologies mate ! I'm encouraging all options - I appreciate your ideas !

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 04:16:30 PM »
ball wire forms etc were always chromed for a reason.  chroming something leaves a very very hard wearing finish that no other plating finish can match.

i investigated doing ball wire forms in gold and nothing currently leaves the finish hard enough compared to chrome to even have a chance of lasting.

some companies chrome finish parts first, then paint over the chrome in gold paint, then clearcoat.   gold end results are few n far between for hard wearing finishs.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 04:35:56 PM »
What I did with mine was buff the crappy gold coat off, it's chrome under it and looks better, I did the same to the ramp, trying to paint it would do the same thing peel, I'm going to re chrome my coin toss at some point as its not perfect, but looks allot better than it did with the crapy gold, it is a playing over chrome, if you rechrome it would look better than trying to get a gold look as its a brass plating it will dull down again

Offline Olivia_jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 04:43:03 PM »
Plus it is illuminated by yellow lights so if it's chrome under those lights it looks gold anyways

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 04:54:59 PM »
Have you looked into cad plating? I had some large bits done many years back that had a golden (yellow) finish that would have buffed up to a similar finish.
Bright Nickel plating can also have a yellow finish.
I buffed my WCS pieces up an I am sure they were definately plated not painted but I am unsure what technique was used, I suspect cad  !@#

There are also products such as this:

but I am unsure how they would go with a ball rubbing against them over and over. I would go for plating and only use paint as a last resort the plating is much harder and better suited for the application  :2cents:

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 05:39:02 PM »
But all this begs the question as to why a PF that is painted and then cleared holds up well, but for some reason its not applicable for a ramp?

2 pac clear is bloody hard wearing stuff.. so is 1K for that