Author Topic: Getting a house built  (Read 665 times)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: Getting a house built
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 01:10:41 PM »
P4M, I am not surprised some builders are closing
Seeing the asking prices on some display homes, it is just not posible to build for such a low price
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 06:55:44 PM by Pop Bumper Pete »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 05:01:37 PM »
A lot of builders do speculative development as well as building for customers, and many buy vacant lots and on-sell/nominate them to buyers. But the first homers disappeared late last year, leaving many holding property they couldn't settle. I have lots of contracts here both for builders buying or my own land developments where things are overdue because buyers can't be found by the builders who bought the land on spec. This stresses the cashflow for them, and some initially settled land they thought they would quickly re-sell, but didn't, wiping out cash reserves. I've seen this play out before, and it is not pretty. But if you contract with a reputable builder and ensure that the contract specifies that payments are made after works are completed then you can keep yourself insulated from their problems.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 06:56:16 PM »
I need a spell checker on my phone  *!@

Offline Jango

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 07:39:35 PM »
The franchise builders can be quite flexible.  I added another 2 metres to my garage.  Should have made it another 5 metres etc.  It cost me but best $$ I spent.  Also moved a few walls, and added large windows in the place of brick etc with no issue at all.  A larger than average garage is quite essential these days I reckon (our pin hobbies, kids sporting gear, shoes, shoes, shoes etc

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 07:41:46 PM »
There's always budget constraints, but the cheapest you'll ever build (aside from DIY) will be when you build new.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 05:30:21 PM »
If you have the time and skills and know a few tradies, owner builder is the way to go.  Cant say I really saved money, as we put the money we saved into better quality fittings and granite benchtops, solid jarrah kitchen etc. But we designed the home we wanted, and would definately do it that way again.