Author Topic: So where'd everybody go?... (and a new pinnie for me)  (Read 321 times)

Offline vinito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
So where'd everybody go?... (and a new pinnie for me)
« on: October 03, 2009, 05:58:48 PM »
...oh wait. I guess I was the one who left.

I've been dealing with a world of things for several months now. I'm still in the middle of it, but I fell into some pinball news that I just had to tell somebody about, then I'll retreat back into my corner of woe and toil.

I did some machining work for a friend who is retrofitting a small mill for CNC. Well he ended up trading my time for a pinball machine! He bought it from an operator in 1978 so I guess I'm the third owner which is kinda cool. It is the same game (though not the exact machine of course) that I spent a couple years playing back when I was a mere tater tot. We all have a nostalgic connection to one particular machine don't we? This is my ideal #1 nostalgic pin want since I "cut my pinball teeth" on it back in the day. And to have just stumbled into this one simply because he just happened to have it I think is pretty lucky. Though (and here's the hint) he told me he bought it since he thought it would be a collector's item someday because of the USA bicentennial.

Yep. It's a Gottlieb Pioneer. Woohoo! Americans got pretty sick and saturated of "red, white & blue" by the time the celebrating was over, so the collector's item hopes for bicentennial anything died away pretty quick. But this is a great game though.

It has some issues, but it will play a game. Rubber is quickly turning to snow and several brittle posts have exploded. Other than four of the plastics being cracked and one other being split into two halves, the rest of the game is pretty nice. The cabinet is in pretty damn good shape and playfield isn't bad. The backglass has a little flaking, but pretty minor. I'm very happy with it. It will turn out to be a beautiful game eventually. I don't have the time nor money to restore a pin as timely as I could have a year or so ago, but this machine won't be going anywhere.

Seems like there ought to be some repro plastics for Pioneer/Spirit of 76. Is that just wishful thinking?

It has been sitting for over a decade, so just cleaning it up will bring forth good karma right?

Anyways, good to see the forum going strong.
I'll post a picture or few soon.
Where's the beef?

Vince

p.s. Oh yea. I've sold off most of my collection to help pay bills. At least the games that were in good shape. If I can get some space and time to work on games again (and winter is on it's way up north here, so shop season is coming) I'll have this Pioneer, a Gottlieb "Sweet Hearts" and the Game Plan "Sharpshooter". Actually some nice games for a relaxed, old-school pinball experience. Having three pinball machines still seems pretty luxurious to me. I worked my way up to having a TZ and a couple other nice newer titles, so I can say I "did that" and it was fun for a while, but it's tough having a bunch of games in a house the size of mine. Honestly even three is pushing it.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 05:09:27 AM by vinito »
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Good to see you back, Vinito, even for a short appearance !

Pioneer / Spirit of 76 = My favorite "all time" EM. Yes - you can get repro plastics from Pinball Resource - in fact, you can get just about everything for this machine !

Love to see some pictures.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
Here's a couple quick photos:
(Attached)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 04:48:26 AM by vinito »

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Great to see you here again Vince.

That Pioneer is one of the best I have ever seen....most times the reds are 'pink' at best.

As Nino mentioned one of the best EM 1970s pin made

PS: Send me you Sweethearts  &&

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
A couple of years ago, I contacted a pinball mechanic but he only worked on solid state machines. We got talking, I told him about my love of 70s Gottlieb EMs .... Anyway, a few weeks later he rings me to say a lady contacted him to see if he wanted to buy 2 pins from her - been in the family 30 years, son left home, she is moving into a smaller place, etc. He told her that he wasn't interested, but knew someone who might be ....
So, I phone up the lady, she was happy to see the machines go to someone who would appreciate them, so I drove over to her place with my son.
We got there, and in the garage was a Super Spin, and you guessed it, a Pioneer. Both had a few minor problems but in good condition. We settled on a fair price, son used his Tetris skills to load both machines into the car and that's how I became the proud owner of one.

Like you, I could use some new plastics, particularly the lane guides near the flippers.

Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

That's one of the best Pioneers I've ever seen - Like Tony said - the backglasses are usually much more faded than yours.

A PBR order will make this machine look as good as new !

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
Thanks for the feeback.

I agree on the cabinet. I'm pretty sure that it's in the best condition of any of the 10 games I've gone through which is saying something since it's 30-some years old. Biggest bummer is that the coin door was jimmied open at one time so it's slightly dented, as is the frame.
Had a chance to dork around with it a bit today.
Of course it needs a thorough cleaning & new rubber. There are a bunch of brittle posts that are blown apart. I have a bag of yellow ones I'll stick in there until the "official" restoration happens. At least that will remove shrapnel potential and keep bits from getting ground into the playfield. There is one rollover switch not working so that's an easy one. All other switches and drops work properly (wow!). Score reels work properly too although the plastic clip is broken off one of them and it likes to slide away from the glass (better than into the glass). The only real functional problem I see is that the ball count is stuck on "1" so you can play a game forever.

I plan to deep clean it, install new rubber and non-brittle posts, toss a new ball in there and play it now & then so I can build up a solid list of what it needs. I'm pretty broke so in no hurry to buy pinball parts. Once the list is deemed "complete", I'll hurry to place an order with PBR so I can work on making the second list of things I forgot to put on the first list. I'm going to spring for new plastics, drops and probably lane guides and flipper bats? IMHO The machine deserves whatever I can get for it.
Once everything is in hand, it will be a pleasure to go through it and restore it as far as my ability allows. This game won't be going anywhere until the Alzheimers kicks in and wipes the nostalgia banks clean.

"Tetris skills"  :lol
I had a giggle on that one.

Sorry Tony, the "Sweet Hearts" is spoken for - by me dammit ()

Unless you meant the twin little brunettes I met earlier today,
in which case I'm sure won't last long so I'll forward your number if you wish.  #@#

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
Made a preliminary list today for a PBR order and it came to a bit over $200 US. At first I thought that sounded like a lot, then I realized that there is art in there (plastics, drops, etc.) and that stuff is always pricey. So all in all it doesn't look too bad so far. I guess I don't have to hassle with the MO issue like you Aussies do, so I'm getting off cheap.

That issue kind of sucks. You'd think you could compensate by more careful ordering and planning, but no matter what a guy does there are always a couple things you forget to order, so automatically multiply the fee by 2 or 3 by the time you're done. So much for impulse buying. I know paypal sucks and in this day and age it seems odd somebody doesn't step up and create a non-gouging, fair business kind of alternative, but if Paypal is all there is then it seems like a guy could work it out somehow. It also seems to me that PBR is surely missing out on occasional sales which would make up for some of the costs associated and then some. Then again I'm not there and he is, and I'm sure he's sorted through it a ton more than the five minutes of thought that I've given it. To each his own.
I also wish he could get help to make his site easier to navigate. I think most of it is there, but it sure would be nice to be able to search for stuff. Years ago that site would be fine, but these days they've refined web pages and they can be very easy to use and find what you need quickly. I find his site a little awkward and have trouble finding things. That could also just be me of course.

My list so far consists only of playfield and cabinet parts other than coil sleeves & flipper tidbits. I don't have the $200 anyway so I'll have plenty of time to sweep through the machine and discover whatever else it needs. I wish I had access to a schematic so I could do this phase thoroughly before placing the order (which would include the schematic, but by then it's a little late). There ought to be a site where a guy could buy a PDF schematic for instant download. Maybe a local pinhead has one I can borrow for a bit.

Well it's time to get out and go get some sun. I'm painting my house so I'll get a decent dose today. I should have time to start work on the Pioneer in a few weeks.

V
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 08:28:10 AM by vinito »

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
That is a great pickup; congratulation on scoring your 'Holy Grail' machine - especially in such good condition.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Made a preliminary list today for a PBR order and it came to a bit over $200 US. At first I thought that sounded like a lot, then I realized that there is art in there (plastics, drops, etc.) and that stuff is always pricey. So all in all it doesn't look too bad so far. I guess I don't have to hassle with the MO issue like you Aussies do, so I'm getting off cheap.

That issue kind of sucks. You'd think you could compensate by more careful ordering and planning, but no matter what a guy does there are always a couple things you forget to order, so automatically multiply the fee by 2 or 3 by the time you're done. So much for impulse buying. I know paypal sucks and in this day and age it seems odd somebody doesn't step up and create a non-gouging, fair business kind of alternative, but if Paypal is all there is then it seems like a guy could work it out somehow. It also seems to me that PBR is surely missing out on occasional sales which would make up for some of the costs associated and then some. Then again I'm not there and he is, and I'm sure he's sorted through it a ton more than the five minutes of thought that I've given it. To each his own.
I also wish he could get help to make his site easier to navigate. I think most of it is there, but it sure would be nice to be able to search for stuff. Years ago that site would be fine, but these days they've refined web pages and they can be very easy to use and find what you need quickly. I find his site a little awkward and have trouble finding things. That could also just be me of course.

My list so far consists only of playfield and cabinet parts other than coil sleeves & flipper tidbits. I don't have the $200 anyway so I'll have plenty of time to sweep through the machine and discover whatever else it needs. I wish I had access to a schematic so I could do this phase thoroughly before placing the order (which would include the schematic, but by then it's a little late). There ought to be a site where a guy could buy a PDF schematic for instant download. Maybe a local pinhead has one I can borrow for a bit.

Well it's time to get out and go get some sun. I'm painting my house so I'll get a decent dose today. I should have time to start work on the Pioneer in a few weeks.

V

The alternative to PBR is Marco - and Marco's shipping prices are daylight robbery - and when you do order parts, they send either the wrong parts, or the wrong amount. At least with PBR - the shipping is acceptable.

With PSP bringing in all the latest parts etc - it is a lot easier for us Aussies. But still - If you need game specific GTB parts - you need to go to PBR !

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
The alternative to PBR is Marco - and Marco's shipping prices are daylight robbery - and when you do order parts, they send either the wrong parts, or the wrong amount. At least with PBR - the shipping is acceptable.

With PSP bringing in all the latest parts etc - it is a lot easier for us Aussies. But still - If you need game specific GTB parts - you need to go to PBR !

Yea I think PBR is definitely where I need to go.
I've bought from Steve before and it has always been a good experience. His products are certainly great. A little tweak with convenience and he'd be gold, but a little digging will get me there anyway. I have heard talk that he can be a cantankerous cuss, but I found him to be helpful and actually pretty friendly. I can't remember now, but I must have done my homework that day.

If it was a couple years ago when I had money to spend, I would buy one of the Gottlieb parts catalogs to make it easier to buy parts from him. I'm down to just a couple games anyway, so I guess having to do a little digging keeps me from being spoiled rotten.

OK, back to house painting!...

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Looks great, good to see you back mate  ^^^

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
I feel slimy.
I figured I'd wait until I got a few things done around here before working on the Pioneer, but who can resist? Not me
 &^&

I had an issue with the ball advance not working. I've cleaned up a bit of crud so the mechanicals are smooth again, then I started to try to figure out how the ball advance works so I could fix it. I wasn't too optimistic because relay logic is still hard for me to follow, but I got it fixed despite myself. EMs are so cool in that it's almost always 1) dirty contacts 2) leaf adjustment or 3) short/open wire somewhere. That I can handle, so I just narrowed it down to a half dozen switch stacks, cleaned & adjusted, and BEHOLD - one working pinball machine. Ahhh, that feels pretty good.

When I play this game it sure brings back memories. I sure wish that bowling alley never closed up. Man those were some good days.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
I feel slimy.
I figured I'd wait until I got a few things done around here before working on the Pioneer, but who can resist? Not me
 &^&

I had an issue with the ball advance not working. I've cleaned up a bit of crud so the mechanicals are smooth again, then I started to try to figure out how the ball advance works so I could fix it. I wasn't too optimistic because relay logic is still hard for me to follow, but I got it fixed despite myself. EMs are so cool in that it's almost always 1) dirty contacts 2) leaf adjustment or 3) short/open wire somewhere. That I can handle, so I just narrowed it down to a half dozen switch stacks, cleaned & adjusted, and BEHOLD - one working pinball machine. Ahhh, that feels pretty good.

When I play this game it sure brings back memories. I sure wish that bowling alley never closed up. Man those were some good days.

And there lies the beauty of owning an EM. They are really easy to fix once you "get the hang of them" - Well done on the repair !