Author Topic: Backglass hanging  (Read 306 times)

Offline wonder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
Backglass hanging
« on: April 09, 2010, 12:55:31 PM »
Got a few pinball backglass that i want to hang on my bar wall. The miss wanted to put a large mirror there instead but this will work out cheaper and look a lot better.

Problem is trying to hang them.Will be a total of sixteen (4X4) to do but i don't want to frame each one by themselves.
Was thinking of using some channel to put the bottom of glass in then need something to hold the top and allow me to lock another one in on top of that.The back of the glass will have a protective two mill board so not to scratch,but need something to to join together so it look neat.Been bunnings,and a couple of glass shop all no good.

Open to all ideas on how to hang them,to form a wall of backglasses in my bar if possible.

Bring on the ideas Guys

cheers
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Backglass hanging
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 03:26:34 PM »
Bunnings sell these neat little Mirror brackets i think they are called Dean morgan has used them on some in his backglasses.  I cheated and used the whole backbox.

I did get one professionally framed but at $80each could add up

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 03:44:14 PM »
 :tumble:
Bunnings sell these neat little Mirror brackets i think they are called Dean morgan has used them on some in his backglasses.  I cheated and used the whole backbox.

I did get one professionally framed but at $80each could add up

I think I seen those clips,but as they go on the corner witch means I wont be able to get them close to each other and will leave a gap witch i was trying to avoided.

yes to much $$$ to frame each one.

thanks

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 04:02:37 PM »
I work at a servo and the priceboard numbers are held in place hit some alliminium section.

Dodgy picture but to hard to explain.

The aliminium up the top has a deeper channel so you slide the number in up the top then it drops down into the lower channel holding it in place similar to the backglasses in pinball machines might be worth looking into

Offline RatBag

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 08:22:29 PM »
Alloy window manufacturers will have what your looking for

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 01:09:02 AM »
Alloy window manufacturers will have what your looking for

On to it now, just want it nice and neat or I just frame them as singles. !@#

Offline bossninja17

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
I've used "Swiss Clips" (available from art supply and framing shops) to hold the backglass to a piece of mdf board cut to size, then attaching a hanging string to the back. The clips are around 75c to 90c each. Will post a pic.
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 09:22:59 AM »
The best way to hang one is as follows:

Find a Pinball machine of the same type as your backglass, that is missing the glass and buy the machine and hang it in there... *)*

or 2.  Find someone who has a machine with a poor or missing backglass and install it there... %.%
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 09:35:09 AM »
The best way to hang one is as follows:

Find a Pinball machine of the same type as your backglass, that is missing the glass and buy the machine and hang it in there... *)*

or 2.  Find someone who has a machine with a poor or missing backglass and install it there... %.%

Good ides but have two many machines and backglass and no wear to put them.

Had a cabinet maker come over on Monday and look likes were going the timber look.Should be able to the use the same method to get them in and out as with a pinball, with not to much trouble.Just got to get them out and measure them all up hoping that all the size are the same or very close so he can get started.Found two more i forgot i had buried in the corner with all the other stuff.
Will post some pictures when i get started, hopeful should look sweet.

Offline bossninja17

• Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 02:31:48 PM »
I've just finished hanging 3 backglasses in my garage / gamesroom.
As mentioned above - I used Swiss Clips to attach the glass to mdf board, then glued two blocks of pine to the board. Into the pine I stapled cord for haning. Pic below will give you an idea.
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.