Author Topic: Fathom Backglass  (Read 741 times)

Offline wonder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
Fathom Backglass
« on: February 06, 2011, 10:01:52 PM »
Pinfrog post got me thinking about my Fathom and decided to get out my new backglass i brought from CPR to have a look at the condition. Didn't need it but was one of those night where i had a few to many beers and was just looking,not a good combination. $&&

So now i have two new blackglass to suit a Fathom and was surprised how different they are.
CPR looks more purple, and does not seem to be a crisp picture as the other new one.Not sure what shop a got the first one from but it was a while ago and it was a repo.

Just want to get other thought on the colour,as will be keeping the first one for my restore as the colours are just so much better.

Anyone in Perth need a new fathom backglass

See if you can spot the difference in the colours.Put two corners together and you can see the big difference.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 10:15:00 PM by wonder »
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Fathom Backglass
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 10:50:51 PM »
Thats a HUGE difference!!!!

I dont own a Fathom so i couldnt say with authority that one is correct and the other... well... wrong!

My guess is the purple one is way off.

A licenced repro is SUPPOSED to offer consistency... man thats just friggin wrong!

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 11:39:31 PM »
A little too much artistic licence   #@#

Their space invaders plastics turned out similar.

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 11:56:41 PM »
Better photo

Offline pinfrog

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth WA
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 12:44:53 AM »
Hi Craig. Im shiting bricks now as I have order two, one for me and the other for a mate.How long ago did you receive yours.I should receive mine soon ,  If it looks like that when they arrive there may be another for sale and Ill keep the bubbled original !

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 01:08:34 AM »
Hi Craig. Im shiting bricks now as I have order two, one for me and the other for a mate.How long ago did you receive yours.I should receive mine soon ,  If it looks like that when they arrive there may be another for sale and Ill keep the bubbled original !

Only came last week,be interesting to see how your two are.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 01:34:30 AM »

Only came last week,be interesting to see how your two are.

yep, the purple one is the repro
mine are the same

Offline pinfrog

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth WA
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 02:14:06 AM »
I was wondering if you guys have been in contact with CPR about the colour as  there seems to be quite a bit of difference from the original .

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 09:19:22 AM »
Not sure if the one on IPDB is old and faded, but sure isn't purple.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 10:43:16 AM »

That's crazy !

I have three Fathoms - NONE have any purple on the left hand side.

I have an original Fathom flyer. Again, no purple.

I'm one of CPR's biggest fans and I've bought 6 playfields and 4 backglasses, but I would be emailing them to find out why there is such a difference. One of the highlight's of Fathom, is the different shades of Blue. There's no shade of blue that is purple !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 07:24:49 PM »
A little too much artistic licence   #@#

Their space invaders plastics turned out similar.

There's also a thread I've read - can't recall if it's this or another forum - about the Gorgar plastics having a bad colour match for the yellows. 

Not what you'd expect for the price you pay - I think people are happy to pay a good price, but expect a quality product.  This would make me nervous about buying from CPR.

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 11:31:34 AM »
Got mt reply from Kevin regarting the backglass and in a nut shell, tought luck that how they are.

I do thank Kevin for the quick reply and his detail de******ion of the process in which the glass is done.
Kevin said the main difference, seems to be the power of the magenta copared to the Phoenix ones as CPR are more deep and dense.  The quality of both images is identical (identical films), the taste of color balance comes down to personal preference.  

He did say that when it is backlit it will look different to what it look now, as the colours are more deep compared to the Phoenix one.

Will have to wait and see what she looks like on a machine to get a true indication of what it looks like.So far everything i have got from CPR has been fantastic.
Just one Qute from Kevin which sums it up pretty well

In the end, for CMYK work, these are the compromises the hobby are going to have to accept if they want repro's.  We'll be close, especially if we control the design of the films.

So it up to you if you want one and if anyone is interested in having a look for themselves in Perth,drop me a pm.

thanks
Craig
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:35:25 AM by wonder »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 12:44:05 PM »

Thanks for that info, Craig. I guess that at the time the gallery is posted on their site an informed decision can be made. A backglass that is not 100% faithful to the original is better than no backglass.

Every CPR repro part I've bought, I've been 100% happy and I will continue to buy playfields etc from them.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 02:01:34 PM »

Thanks for that info, Craig. I guess that at the time the gallery is posted on their site an informed decision can be made. A backglass that is not 100% faithful to the original is better than no backglass.

Every CPR repro part I've bought, I've been 100% happy and I will continue to buy playfields etc from them.

One of the few company's that i buy from ,and i no 99.9999999% of the time they are great.The thing i like about it is that i asked a question and got a pretty quick reply with a detail description of the process from Kevin.So now it up to the individual  if they want one or not, personal i will be using the other one.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 04:04:50 PM »

In the end, for CMYK work, these are the compromises the hobby are going to have to accept if they want repro's.  We'll be close, especially if we control the design  of the films.

Well not exactly..

CMYK or 4 colour printing doesnt necessarily have to involve any compromises... what they actually mean is "our 4 colour planner got it wrong and we cant be arsed changing it"

The colour is WAY off.. should never have passed the proofing stage... yes we can all accept a slight colour variation due to depth of print etc... but this is the WRONG colour being used in the first place.

The reply is very cheeky as it basically says 'be happy you have SOMETHING and stop whinging".

Yes it will look different lit up, cos the eye will be distracted to the illuminated part, but it will always be purple/ mauve in the corner... aint tnothing gonna change that.

I know a BG repro manufacturer and i can catagorically state that had they done FATHOM... what you have would never have seen the light of day.. it wouldnt have even made seconds standards