Author Topic: Illinois Pinball (IPB) playfields  (Read 4453 times)

Offline pinoffski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong NSW
Illinois Pinball (IPB) playfields
« on: July 26, 2020, 05:35:15 PM »
I dont know the detailed  history Illinois Pinball (IPB) playfields
Have had a google search and seen the remake of BBB

so i am asking about the quality of the playfields that were made at the time
compared to the new types that are available from micro
I am in 2 minds on purchasing a  Illinois Pinball (IPB) playfield for a Circus Voltaireit could be a risk as buyer beware ?
The CV Micro playfield has issues
Looking for general advice / help
do i look at having my playfield restored by a professional restorer ?

Offline rads

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Illinois Pinball (IPB) playfields
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 07:48:35 PM »
Pretty sure the thickness and quality of the clear on them is better now than it was. I have had a few done by hotrodded pins and they are spectacular.  Wont be done tomorrow though.  I would buy a new reproduction or get mine restored rather than NOS

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 11:16:23 PM »
The IPB playfields (KISS, TAF and CFTBL) were ok. I still have 2 KISS playfields and they have some mistakes and a really thin clear. Nowhere near CPR quality (especially the clear), but more than acceptable at that time. You would need to reclear an IPB playfield if you found one. Steer clear (no pun intended) of any playfields other than CPR, Wade Krauss or a restored original. In the case of CV, have it restored by either Tim Reid or Geoff Wills.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 12:01:05 AM »
Back in the day I had both a Addams and a Creature from IPB, both were good quality. Like said above the clearcoat was not as thick as it is on more recent ones but that's how it was and much more like the original.
In short I was very happy with the playfields that I bought.

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2020, 05:30:43 AM »
In the case of CV, have it restored by either Tim Reid or Geoff Wills.

Out of future interest, what sort of ballpark budget would i expect to put aside if i sent a playfield off to these top people?
Looking for Bally Space Invaders, Stern Orbitor 1

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2020, 01:23:33 PM »
In the case of CV, have it restored by either Tim Reid or Geoff Wills.

Out of future interest, what sort of ballpark budget would i expect to put aside if i sent a playfield off to these top people?

You would need to ask them direct. PM Tim @el_timbo86 or "Hot Rodded Pins" FB and Geoff is available on his "Pinball Perfection" FB page. Tim is in Vic, Geoff is in QLD.

I use both these talented playfield resto masters.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2020, 02:01:31 PM »
I don't have a title in mind mate, was just wondering whether i'd have to put $800 away or $2000. Figured if you'd used them before you'd have a ballpark. Happy with a PM.
Looking for Bally Space Invaders, Stern Orbitor 1

Offline pinoffski

• Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong NSW
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 06:24:27 PM »
Thanks for the help much appreciated
will have to have a good think on what to do

I can clear cote playfields so that is not a issue if i when with the IPB option

With CV ghosting on the inserts which is common i purchased some decals
what i thought would be good were absolute crap they are the wrong size (smaller)

Restoring the original playfield is probably the best option as everything will go back in place
as it was ....

« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 06:26:20 PM by pinoffski »

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 12:00:48 AM »
We have upgraded the clear and improved many reproduction playfields for customers over the years. I will say - I’m pretty certain it was the IPB CVs that suffered from terribly poor plywood choice. The artwork and colour generally is very accurate, but the timber used was honestly rubbish. It wouldn’t be fair to say they were all made like this, but all of the ones we have been sent I felt the timber quality was lacking.

Tim
HRP

Offline pinoffski

• Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong NSW
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 06:19:47 AM »
Thanks Tim  ^^^

Offline pinoffski

• Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong NSW
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 06:02:52 PM »
With the issue of ghosting on the inserts would a professional restorer
airbrush new decals in ?

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2020, 08:55:56 PM »
Can you post some photos of the issues and I could advise how I would typically approach the repair.

Offline pinoffski

• Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong NSW
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 07:37:16 PM »
here is a pic

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 05:02:40 PM »
here is a pic

The 'frosted' or white areas on the inserts is the factory clearcoat (Diamond Plate) where it has seperated from the plastic lens. This can be 'improved' when its very minor - however I would place your playfield in the severe category. To rectify this, you need a sharp blade or hobby knife to score around the edges of all of the inserts. This will allow the delaminated clear coat (Diamond Plate) and associated insert artwork to fall away from the playfield. I would typically remove all of this, continue to clean and prep the playfield for its first clear coat. The plastic inserts need to be sanded to create a mechanical bond for the new clear. I would typcially sand the inserts with 180 grit. They will look dull until you apply the clear.
Once cleared, I would sand that down (400/600/800) so you have a seamless playfield again between the timber and plastic lens. Then you can continue to make repairs to the artwork, apply the insert decals and reclear the playfield, sand and repeat until you have a nice uniform finish.

I have recently completed this exact process on a rough CV so i ill try and post the process here as I think photos will explain it alot better.

Tim
HRP

Offline pinoffski

• Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong NSW
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2020, 06:49:51 PM »
here is a pic

The 'frosted' or white areas on the inserts is the factory clearcoat (Diamond Plate) where it has seperated from the plastic lens. This can be 'improved' when its very minor - however I would place your playfield in the severe category. To rectify this, you need a sharp blade or hobby knife to score around the edges of all of the inserts. This will allow the delaminated clear coat (Diamond Plate) and associated insert artwork to fall away from the playfield. I would typically remove all of this, continue to clean and prep the playfield for its first clear coat. The plastic inserts need to be sanded to create a mechanical bond for the new clear. I would typcially sand the inserts with 180 grit. They will look dull until you apply the clear.
Once cleared, I would sand that down (400/600/800) so you have a seamless playfield again between the timber and plastic lens. Then you can continue to make repairs to the artwork, apply the insert decals and reclear the playfield, sand and repeat until you have a nice uniform finish.

I have recently completed this exact process on a rough CV so i ill try and post the process here as I think photos will explain it alot better.

Tim
HRP

All is good mate I appreciate your time
I have 2 playfields one in a machine and the one i posted a pic...

I have started to remove the full home made mylar and as you have described all of  the insert decals have lifted
I will continue to remove it
if it turns out that it is not viable to restore it
that is ok will keep it as a players machine as it plays better than most cv"s that i have played

here is a pic
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 07:05:02 PM by pinoffski »