Author Topic: Nickel plating Pinball parts  (Read 4841 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Nickle plating Pinball parts
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2010, 02:39:09 PM »
Re CHROMED PARTS VERSUS NICKLE PLATING

A professionally CHROMED finish is nothing like nickle plating, CHROME is 5 times shiny'er and has many more processes than just nickle plating.

I have had many parts professionally chromed and the process is very indepth, and something I do not believe anyone could do at home.
If u have watched a professional chroming things (and the long dozen step process with all the DIFFERENT chemicals) and the process is tedious.

Nickle plating is nothing like CHROME, but nickel plating polished does look nicer than any zinc plating.

Also, polishing anything to a mirror finish, then giving it to a chrome shop is a waste of time. Watch them stick it in a nasty toxic soloution and watch the metal change colour and u will know what i mean.
Also, after the final chroming finish has been applied to the metal piece u are doing, the professional puts the item on a buffing wheel, with all different attachments to make it mirror shine. Chroming is a very very labour intensive/chemical process which I feel can only be done by a professional who knows what he is doing.

The $100 nickle plating kit Andy has bought is great, but do not think it will make a part look anything like a chrome product, cause it wont come close. Its a different kettle of fish altogether. The larger the object, the more of a visual difference u will see between polished nickle plating n chrome.

P.S - I reccommend Gold Coast Electroplating Services, cnr Brisbane Roads and Captain Cook Drive, ARUNDEL - GOLD COAST. for all professional Chrome work.The gent who runs the place, owns the place and has been there for over 30 years. He is a top bloke and his pricing is very very good.
example - set 4 legs $100. Lockdown bar $50 large side rails apx $40 each and so on. Question - is it really worth paying the money mentioned to have something professionally chromed, if you want the bling of bling, the answer is absolutely. I have a Freddy - A Nightmare on Elm Street Pinball machine that has been done here, and it is amzing. Nothing even comes close to the wow factor of chrome done properly.  ^^^
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:00:46 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !