Author Topic: ... The Best Of Years  (Read 471 times)

mark jackson

• Trade Count: (0)
... The Best Of Years
« on: June 09, 2009, 11:15:37 PM »
Hi pinball fans,
                     I'm going to throw my hat in the ring here. ... First let me say that I would guess that most pinball players reckon that the machines they played as a kid were the best. ... I am no exception, as I do think that the Gottlieb wedgeheads of the 60's are arguably the greatest pinball machines of all time. I was born in 1953 and played many pinball machines between 1963-1968 in particular.
             There's more than a few reasons why I make this claim... The fact that wedgeheads still look so good is a part of it...the fact that they have beautiful brass components underneath (bumper holding assembly, kicking rubber metal components, ball housing, spring loaded lock down bar, relay mountings etc) is part of it. ....but it's more than that. The mid sixties was a time when some really important elements came together for a short time, and then they were gone.
             This was the time when (a) technology of the pinball had evolved to where all the modern components were cookin' (flippers, bumpers, kicking rubbers, eject holes etc). ...(b) game design was mature and sophisticated at Gottlieb. Wayne Neyens had been designing games for many years by now, and he always was a master of 'game concept'. ... and (c) the artwork of the great Roy Parker WAS pinball by this time, and his art made you feel like pinball was 'timeless'. ...his artwork had always been a big part of just how attractive and fun pinballs were.
             So these elements came together and shone like a diamond for a few years. I reckon there's a peak year here which is had to top. ...1963 had Sweethearts, 1964 had World Fair, but what a year 1965 was. In just this one year Gottlieb released BANK A BALL, BUCKAROO, KINGS AND QUEENS, SKYLINE and ICE REVIEW. To me this was pinball's hour. These games were just fantastic in their own individual way. .....and then it was over.
             At that time, when Sing A Long came out, you knew that something had changed. The art work was kinda the same but somehow it was different, and maybe not quite as good. It also had automatic ball lift...no more 'manual multi-ball!) And for me, by the time Royal Guard made its appearance, it was all over. Roy had passed away, Wayne Neyens was no longer designing the games, and time, art and technology were marching on. Soon there would be 3" flippers and all sorts of other stuff. Don't get me wrong here. I'm not saying that Royal Guard is not a worthy machine. It's fun on its own terms, but for me, isn't quite the machine that the 63-65 Gottliebs are.
            Pinball has had the amazing ability to re-invent itself on more than a few occassions. 1965 is not the only great year in pinball, but it could be the greatest. 1960's Gottlieb single player wedgeheads are among the very best pinballs of all time. I think it will always be this way. ... but I was 12 in 1965 and that makes me biased, I guess.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: ... The Best Of Years
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:34:31 PM »

Where do you start ? There are so many GREAT eras of Pinball, and what I like the most about the longevity of Pinball is the fact that it would be hard NOT to cover an era that pinheads identify with.

For me - 1978-82 was the "stand out" era. Although my roots are firmly with mid to late 70's Gottliebs, I can't go past the birth of the Bally SS. The first time I saw Evel Knievel as a child in 1977, I was simply stunned at the technology and marveled at the digital displays. They still had the chimes, so there was still one foot firmly in the EM era, but the displays were "the" big difference. Eight Ball was next and it was a classic player, even back in those days. A quick jump to 1979 - Star Trek, KISS and Paragon. What a classic lineup, at a time where the machines were 100% solid state and Pinball artwork was at it's finest moment. Bit of a jump to 1981, and there's the best trio of machines - Embryon, Fathom and Medusa -Very hard to beat ! Three incredible titles, one after each other. All great players as well as great artwork. Bally "lost the plot" after these titles, and you need to jump across to Gottlieb for Haunted House, Rocky and Spirit to continue the great titles.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 11:46:10 PM »
kidamigo, thanks so much for sharing those thoughts - a great read!

I'm a bit like Spamways in relation to era - 78-82 - but as you said, it's the eras we fell for these wonderful games that so shapes our views.

Oh, and Spamways - you left Black Hole out of that Gottlieb comment at the end of your post - shame on you, forgetting the best Sys 80 of all!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 01:20:48 AM »
Yeah, it's an interesting one.

To me the question is what drew you into pinball to begin with? And what games exemplify that best?

At uni I had the opportunity to play Eight Ball Deluxe, and it was an absolute classic of a pinball machine. There is something so right about the design. I played other machines at uni, but the one that stuck with me is EBD - to be honest I can't even remember the other pins.

If I had grown up playing EMs I am guessing my views would be different!

Offline tomdotcom

• Forum Posts:
  • Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 05:50:12 AM »
The first game that "drew" me into pinball was tales from the crypt. They had it at our local poolhall when I was a teenager and I played the heck out of it. I'd love to add one to my collection some day! Love the theme, crazy multiball and shaker! Great DE game for sure.
=-= PINS: Swords of Fury, Fish Tales, Addam's Family, Getaway HS2, DE Time Machine, World Cup Soccer 94, Skateball =-=

=-= VIDS: Zeke's Peak, Custom mame cab =-=

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 08:44:27 AM »
I grew-up playing 70's EMs at home. Then paid to play SS machines at the shops and arcades. My childhood experiences, fondness for the memories, so I will say 1970-83 were pinball's golden era. Some great titles came out later, but for me they mostly be "noise and toys". I am yet to play anything before 1970 (sad huh) so I cant rate those machines. But.......I do own a 2 inch flipper machine..........and its my favorite pin (even over Nugent lol).
 *%*

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 10:17:04 AM »
kidamigo, thanks so much for sharing those thoughts - a great read!

I'm a bit like Spamways in relation to era - 78-82 - but as you said, it's the eras we fell for these wonderful games that so shapes our views.

Oh, and Spamways - you left Black Hole out of that Gottlieb comment at the end of your post - shame on you, forgetting the best Sys 80 of all!

A little controversial ! But I rate HH, Spirit and Rocky as the best SYS80 machines - Then BH, Circus and Star Race.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 10:41:29 AM »
One of the great things about pinball machines is that they're able to be appreciated on so many levels. From the long history, the art, the flashing lights and sounds, the inner workings, and not forgetting the game play with the "Man Vs Machine" feel  ^^^

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 11:44:46 AM »
One of the great things about pinball machines is that they're able to be appreciated on so many levels. From the long history, the art, the flashing lights and sounds, the inner workings, and not forgetting the game play with the "Man Vs Machine" feel  ^^^

yep they sure cover the bases, nothing else comes close...........well maybe women, but much harder to collect them  :lol

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 12:04:33 PM »

yep they sure cover the bases, nothing else comes close...........well maybe women, but much harder to collect them  :lol

Thats for the courts to decide  &&

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 06:46:47 PM »
All eras of pinball are cool, I can see why people collect every type of game.

We basically all love the same game when you think about it. They are all on 4 legs, have flippers to knock the ball around the playfield etc, they keep score, make noise and are covered in art.

I cut my teeth playing games during the late 60s to the early 80s and love that era. Have probably owned at least 300 game from that era over the past 32 years.

Do I collect the games from that time frame?  *.*

Have done in the past but now collect the stuff pre 1965 for several reasons.

They have alot of history, the art is stunning, the actual way they work, they are rarer to find in good condition, the restoration of them in many ways is unique and often I look at the games from the late 40s and 1950s era and wonder what they have seen on location. Imagine if they could talk, the stories they would be able to tell.

It's a pretty cool hobby!  ^^^

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 09:14:55 PM »
Pinball machines, like art - the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Each to his (her for Peach) own.
Bit like "what is your favourite song of all time?"
Different times, different mood = different choices.
To me, there is something special in things where a "craft" was used to make them. That's why EMs appeal to me. However, I still think there are some fabulous solid state machines.
Still, the smell and sound of an EM transports me back to my wonder years.
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.