Author Topic: Globe earth braid configuration  (Read 927 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: Globe earth braid configuration
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2013, 11:23:19 PM »
found locally some braid wire http://www.hartleywilliams.com.au/index.php?slug=hw-list-1013 and thought maybe the 18 gauge stuff is the go, but what grams/metre is the standard pinball wire?

anyone know if the above would be ok and how heavy pinball braid is per metre. these guys have 113gm and 454gm

Anyone know what length is on these rolls listed on the above mentioned website?
The 18 gauge was 15.2m I bought the 16g so I'm hoping it's similar. Just ask them via email, takes a couple of days to respond
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 11:51:42 AM »

got some coming so I'll let you know if its the right stuff so you don't waste your time
[/quote]

Thanks , much appreciated  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Pinballer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 11:35:11 PM »
Looking forward to reading reports on this braid.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 11:30:43 AM »
got my order but unsure if it will do. its the form like solder. A single copper wire encased in solder. I have included a photo, and think it may do the job, but would appreciate any thoughts.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 11:47:30 AM »
Just make your own - here's how I did a few metres for a restore and you can't pick it from the original (well, you can because it's shiny and new  %.%)

I had a roll of this common mains earth wire kicking around:

This was the original wire unravelled so I could count the strands and check the thickness:

I clamped a PCB spacer in the vice and held a single sided blade while pulling the wire through to cut the insulation off:

Counted out and bundled together the correct number of strands, then I clamped one end of the bundle in the vice - the other end in a battery drill and VROOM VROOM for about 2 or 3 minutes:

The new compared to the original:

You can do it - don't be LAZY!!!  <.>

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 08:10:15 PM »
 Looks good but I'll leave it to you. Tell what i bought is solid and like gardening/tie wire and not braid. What is the purpose of using braid as opposed to something like this? The plyability, conductivity...what?

Thanks and I'm guessing what i bought is not useful for underneath a playfield

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 08:36:36 PM »
You can use it no problems... its silvered copper wire is it not??  Will conduct very well and you can solder to any point as its pre tinned.

But... being single core it is not as pliable as the multi core stuff and snaps easier... all flouro lightboxes must use single core but it should never be used for mains in case it gets broken along the line somewhere

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 08:58:22 PM »
You can use it no problems... its silvered copper wire is it not??  Will conduct very well and you can solder to any point as its pre tinned.

But... being single core it is not as pliable as the multi core stuff and snaps easier... all flouro lightboxes must use single core but it should never be used for mains in case it gets broken along the line somewhere
Yeah silvered copper and  I tried bending it back and forth maybe 30 times and it didn't break but thats not saying it broke the copper inside the silver.

The only issue I can maybe see is replacing globes where you need to bend the holder to get to them. Dunno if they could break the wire??? Thanks for your reply