Author Topic: Number of coils not working on GNR  (Read 397 times)

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Number of coils not working on GNR
« on: January 28, 2013, 11:16:38 PM »
I started putting in my LED's on my GNR today and yesterday. Got them all done except for the play field GI's since I'm waiting for white rubbers before I pull it apart so I can do those at the same time.

Anyhow, when I finished it a number of the coils don't work. For example the shooter lane coil, the VUK, the Axl scoop and flippers aren't working. Possibly one or two others as well but it cycles too damn quick thru them during the diagnostics to know for sure.I'm guessing perhaps I have busted off a solder with my fat fingers when changing globes?

There was one  i know i snapped and resolderd but does this sound like there could be another one i missed that could cause this?

One other question too, how the hell do you get the start and buy in extra ball buttons off to change the globes behind them. I messed around for ages and can't see how without breaking things.

LED's are looking great tho I must say.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Number of coils not working on GNR
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 11:25:13 PM »
Check your fuses you may have killed a fuse that powers them could.

As for the start button some twist out some clip in so try twisting first if that fails just pull it out

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 11:54:15 PM »
Haha how embarrassing. Thank you, one of the fuses was gone.

Funny when I was trying to work out what it was I actually changed the 3 magnet board fuses as they looked dodgy, but neglected looking at the others,

Although its working when I turned the game on I noticed a low hum (I did previously too). I'm wondering if something is stuck on and if I leave the game on long enough it's going to blow another fuse.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 01:55:49 AM »
try disconnecting the speakers from the sound board and see if the hum persists,
it also could be a loose or noisy transformer.
if it is a locked on coil if you have all the correct value fuses fitted then it should blow a fuse but just check that none of the coils or magnets are getting hot without the game being played, also if you smell something burning i would turn it off until you figure what is causing the smell
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 08:53:48 AM »
Pretty sure the globe holders for those buttons just un-clip at the back of the button (inside the cabinet).  Give them a good wriggle side to side and they should pop out. 
Addicted to pins.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 10:06:58 AM »
DE machines of this era all have an audible hum through the speakers. Make sure all (EVERY SINGLE ONE) of the screws that hold all of the boards to the metal backing frame are in place and secure. This will minimise hum but you won't ever get rid of it 100%

Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 10:10:22 PM »
Thank you for everyones input.

I got home from work today and played for about 15 minutes.  The hum seems to have disappeared and all coils during play and diagnostics were working.  The only thing that happened during the game was at one point the right flipper stopped work for a ball, then started working again.  Then a number of times during my playing it would double flip.  For example when I was catching or holding the ball a few times it would double flip.  Not sure if this could be related to my previous issue?

Another thing I noticed was that one of the inserts in the playfield seemed to be on permanently, although I never recall this being on all the time before, I didn't think it was a GI?  It's on the right side, the skull picture with the top hat.  See pic.  Maybe it always was and I never noticed with the old bulbs and I do now with LED's?  Does anyone else know if this is supposed to be on all the time.

Finally here is a pic of the start button on the inside.  I unscrewed the black part right down to the base but I simply cannot pull or twist out the plastic bit, it won't budge.

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 10:49:41 PM »
If its the same as the bally/williams ones, it will pull out - but it takes a fair bit of effort

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 11:01:55 PM »
Does the white plastic bit come out of the threaded black plastic or does the whole thing actually get pulled backwards and out of the button on the front?

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 11:18:27 PM »
Yep, pull the white bit out, then unthread the nut, and the rest of the black will fall out the front of the machine

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2013, 12:22:39 AM »
Well finally got them out. I took the middle bit of the white part out just leaving the edges. So I got some pliers and gripped onto one of the metal bits and pulled and pulled but nothing. I was getting pissed with it, but since enough of you guys said they should just pull out, I went screw it and pulled with all my might.

To give you an idea how hard, when it finally came out my hand flew back and I cut myself on the edge of the tilt assembley.  Now I am having a hell of a time getting them back in.  ^&^

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2013, 02:30:02 PM »
Well after an hour of trying to get the bloody white plastic bits back in the start button housing I worked out that the LED's are too fat to poke out the end of the black cylinder and into the back of the button. So I had to put the old globes back in :(

I bought a cointaker LED package, im guessing they have not actually physically checked all these things yet. Like I noticed 2 lights under the G ramp, the manual says they are 555 globes but they are actually 906 in reality. They pacakge up the kit and obviously go straight off the manual only. I guess we are field testing for them.