Author Topic: Lady Luck is still giving me grief  (Read 1142 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Lady Luck is still giving me grief
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2011, 09:27:14 PM »
Ive used this before in a stepper and so far it has held up OK.
Hey Goodolddays.. its easy from this end to say its enjoyable.. ive had many an EM make me pull my hair out.
I must admit that i was getting to the point where i was going to pretty much throw in the towel as we had exhausted all logic paths and suggest you follow each wire from the BUST relay to find some worm braid that was giving ground on a piece of metal or even 2 wires worn away against each other.... horrible work, but ive had to do it so many times

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2011, 10:26:49 PM »
Thanks for the info Dave .. hadn't heard of that .. I have filled the burnt hole in the PCB with superglue (building up layers) so now it should hold up OK .. before was running the risk of wearing away the track for the earth .

The drama didn't end there by the way .. when I put the reel back together I found the game wasn't paying out for 21 by player 2.
Checked the 1 point reel again to find it only had earth output when on 0.
Couldn't see any breaks in the tracks (other than the pad I had cut off) .. tried bending the contacts on the shoehorn that screws to the back of the centre cog, but no joy , so replaced it with one from a spare wheel I had.

Played a few games Ok then machine was dying in the middle of a game .. cleaned the motor run switch and now have played about 20 games (mostly in 2 player mode) and all is finally good.

So .. tomorrow will ring my cousin and finally get this machine out of here   #*# #*# #*# so I will have room for my next project (WMS Gulfstream)   
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2011, 10:29:52 PM »
Ive used this before in a stepper and so far it has held up OK.
Hey Goodolddays.. its easy from this end to say its enjoyable.. ive had many an EM make me pull my hair out.
I must admit that i was getting to the point where i was going to pretty much throw in the towel as we had exhausted all logic paths and suggest you follow each wire from the BUST relay to find some worm braid that was giving ground on a piece of metal or even 2 wires worn away against each other.... horrible work, but ive had to do it so many times

Gday Gav .

I've also had my share of frustrating EM faults before .. with one game it was an impossible intermittent fault to find but after I did a full mechanical rebuild its running well now (last resort option)

Actually I've had to do that with 2 of my EM's to fix recurring (and different) faults. ::)
I need more room ! and more $$$