Author Topic: Heat and Humidity on Pinballs ??  (Read 197 times)

Offline PinPal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
Heat and Humidity on Pinballs ??
« on: February 03, 2011, 09:39:35 PM »
Sydney is going through a heatwave this week, I own 5. Games, all of them are kept in rooms away from bright sunlight.  This might sound like a silly question but does the heat affects the games in anyway, humidity or ambient heat... The rooms in my house have got up to 31c during the heatwave and I don’t have an air conditioner. If I do play a game I have a fan running to keep the air moving around the pin.  Why didn’t the pinball manufactures put cooling fans inside the games to disperse the heat?

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Heat and Humidity on Pinballs ??
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 11:16:20 PM »
I have seen excessive heat cause all different pins to play up n reset etc.
Also, I do know first hand that the hardware (lets call it a computer just to be basic) that the hardware inside a Pinball 2000 headbox (Revenge from Mars or Star Wars Episode 1) needs a new working CPU fan to be working 100 percent, and the large power supply fan also needs to be working 100 percent or things get way too hot and the game resets.

In a heatwave, which we have also had this last 3 or 4 days in QLD, I had my SW Ep 1 reset, only to find the power supply fan which sits in the computers metal case, had shit itself. This is a large fan and it is needed. The reset did me a favour, as a NEW cooling fan for the power supply and a few little mods to keep everything chilly are on their way.

A nice air-conditioned room, is alot nicer I think for both man and machine.  ^^^
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 11:57:26 PM »
Been way too hot in my garage to play any pins (I am in Sydney) but I suspect the advantage in this kind of weather is EM's would suffer a lot less .,, although I hate to think of the effect on my 4 , as yet  unsealed, backglasses  !!!
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 09:27:12 AM »
I avoid using my machines in times of extreme heat as well, more for my comfort than the machine.  I dare say the designers always had in mind that the machines would be in air conditioned arcades and not in our garages 15 or 20 something years later. 

With the cost of something like PC cooling fans these days, does anyone think it is warranted to install a fan in the backbox?
Addicted to pins.

Offline andrew (nob)

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 04:40:26 PM »
The biggest problem I have is humidity and rust. My balls get especially rusty when sitting in my garage. As others have said, I haven't found any issue with heat as it's too hot for the player before it's too hot for the machine.

I have heard from dealers they avoid machines from Asia and South America as the humidity there causes warping.

andrew