Author Topic: new playfield prep work  (Read 186 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
new playfield prep work
« on: April 03, 2012, 03:19:58 PM »
Looking at doing a pf swap but have done an extra clearcoat on a playfield. I have noticed and guess that all the holes and dimples are now probably a little smaller due to being filled in by the clear. This is probably more correct for the very small holes for say the wire lane guides etc.

Do the holes need to be cleaned out in any way and if so, what is the best way? Do you drill from the painted/cleared side or the back, do you use an electric drill or some kind of hand drill? Is sanding a better option for the larger holes?

I think you can figure what I'm getting at. The pf is drilled and dimpled but I am sure there will be some holes that have been missed and so my last question is how to best ensure the hole I drill is in the correct location ie. in metal I can use a pin punch to make sure the drill doesnot stray from the spot. I don't have a drill press but have a hand drill and a dremmil.

thank you very much for any help
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 03:21:34 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline femto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Toowoomba, Qld
  • Go ahead....push my buttons!
Re: new playfield prep work
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 07:41:11 PM »
I don't know why anyone hasn't replied to this post yet as I have seen a few clearcoat playfield threads so those guys must know. I may be facing this same question soon when I start on my playfield. I have been wondering like you do I leave srcews, posts etc in the playfield so the hole is still there after clear coating. I thought if the hole is filled by a clear coat, does inserting a pin into whats left of the hole somehow damage the coating? Hopefully someone who has done a playfield will chime in with an answer.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 07:50:30 PM »
Hi Rob

Of all the playfields I have cleared then reassembled I have never had to drill out holes or similar. Although I don't put down clear super heavy. I am doing a FT now and is not an issue

Offline pokermachine

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 01:04:37 AM »
I have never clear coated a pinball playfield so take this info as you will... but by saying this i do work with lacquer a lot at work.
My thoughts would be to just use a drill bit maybe by hand...turning it not as a punch.. from the top side of the playfield... going from the underneath may cause the top to crack or lift causing more damage... you could always try a battery operated drill... these tend to stop when the trigger is released and you can get a slower speed too by gently pressing the trigger, electric drills tend only have fast speeds and spin for a while after you release the trigger so if you stuff up for some reason you might scratch the playfield is some way... anyway give it a shot on a back unseen hole... maybe use a drill bit half the size of the hole first then move up to the correct size... hope this info helps...