Author Topic: Black Hole - couple of issues requiring help!  (Read 2560 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Black Hole - couple of issues requiring help!
« on: August 12, 2009, 11:24:50 PM »
Hi guys,

Well the BH is back together and just ironing out a couple of minor issues.

My main problem at the moment is the lower playfield upkicker.  Both coils seem to be working fine, the ball sits on the switch and the gate opens but the ball does not roll through.  If I manually put the ball into the upkicker it works fine.  The issue seems to be with the ball gate.  Its almost as if its not holding the gate open long enough if this makes sense?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 06:49:28 PM by MartyJ »

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Black Hole - couple of issues requiring help!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 06:52:46 PM »
I've tried swapping plungers no difference (slightly different link).  It just seems as if the coil is not holding the plunger long enough... ^&^

2nd issue - playfield insert lamps..Seem to be missing a few - globes are known to be good.  I suspect a connector issue to to blame not not 100% sure as yet.

3rd issue - sound.  Being an export model - no speech but sound 6 seems to get stuck in a loop.  Both in game play and in test mode?  NFI re this one!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 12:33:52 AM »
Any chance of a vid of that gate not doing its job so I can compare to mine doing it?

Usually these things are a mechanical bind of some sort.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 01:42:12 AM »
I wonder if you can stick a large capacitor like 470uf to 1,000uf on the driver transistor for that coil, to help it 'hold' the coil in a little longer....

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 08:19:20 AM »
Any chance of a vid of that gate not doing its job so I can compare to mine doing it?

Usually these things are a mechanical bind of some sort.

Yep, I will do that tonight.  I've tried it with and without the wire part of the gate and different plungers too.

I actually suspect its the CPU board not holding the gate open long enough.  I emailed Dave (Ni-Wumph) and he is kindly looking into the matter for me.  He also suggested the sound loop may be a driver board issue which I will look into.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 06:49:48 PM »
OK - seems the ball gate issue is sorted.  After liasing with Ace (Ni-Wumph) and hours of tinkering the gate is being held correctly open for 800ms.  The switch was opening too early - and then causing issues.  Tedious adjustments and seems to be now good.

Sound - hmm.  Still looping but after machine has been on a while seems to be OK...Possibly a 7404 issue?  Not sure still working on this.

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 07:27:06 PM »
[quote ]
 He also suggested the sound loop may be a driver board issue which I will look into.

Sound could be a i.c stuck low or failed.  Which sound board do you have the smaller board which has sound only?  Or the larger one with voice capabilities.  I know you said it doesnt have voice, but not sure if it has this larger board with voice capabilities but without the votrax sc-01 fitted or if you have the smaller sound only board.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 08:19:12 PM by The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan »
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 07:35:16 PM »
[quote ]
 He also suggested the sound loop may be a driver board issue which I will look into.

Sound could be a transistor stuck low or failed.  Which sound board do you have the smaller board which has sound only?  Or the larger one with voice capabilities.  I know you said it doesnt have voice, but not sure if it has this larger board with voice capabilities but without the votrax sc-01 fitted or if you have the smaller sound only board.

Hi Dean,

The smaller board without voice.

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 07:36:57 PM »
Have you thought about upgrading to the larger board and installing voice?

If your interested PM me, I have a fully working voice/sound board for sale.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 07:41:43 PM by The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan »

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 07:40:42 PM »
Could be U7 on the sound board, 7404 or 74LS04 I have seen these fail before, or Z13 on driver board which is also a 7404.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 07:45:45 PM »
Could be U7 on the sound board, 7404 or 74LS04 I have seen these fail before, or Z13 on driver board which is also a 7404.

Ni-Wumph Dave suggested Z13 on driver board too.  I will need to check it with logic probe I think when its doing it to see if stuck high?

PM sent re board!

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 06:24:31 PM »
After spending nearly the whole day trying to sort this damm ball gate issue I've had to walk away.   !*!

Machine is level - playfields checked.

I swapped plunger+link back and forth and the one thats on it now seems to be slightly better.

Video:

Offline RaMpAgE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Bendigo, Vic
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 09:55:53 PM »
I would suggest playing around with the switch the ball sits on, see if you can move the apex of the wire (more behind the ball) so it kind of gives the ball a helping hand through from stored energy in a compressed spring
Hope you know what I mean.

Might be enough to stop the ball getting jammed.

edit: watched it some more - see if you can play around with the mechanics a bit more to stop the ball geting kicked back while the plunger energizes.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:02:13 PM by RaMpAgE »

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 10:08:12 PM »
Is the ball channel height adjustable to give the ball more of a slope to roll on?  Just not enough momentum for the ball to get through

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 11:32:17 PM »
Is the ball channel height adjustable to give the ball more of a slope to roll on?  Just not enough momentum for the ball to get through

Naah, its straight on playfield unfortunately

I would suggest playing around with the switch the ball sits on, see if you can move the apex of the wire (more behind the ball) so it kind of gives the ball a helping hand through from stored energy in a compressed spring
Hope you know what I mean.

Might be enough to stop the ball getting jammed.

edit: watched it some more - see if you can play around with the mechanics a bit more to stop the ball geting kicked back while the plunger energizes.

I know what you mean re the switch...If one of the other BH owners could take a photo of their switch that would help heaps (in case mine has wrong type in it)...Mine is the 1/2 type similar to that in the lower out lanes - but not the same as the top center lanes.

The actual mech is like new, not binding at all, lubed and not worn.... ^&^    !@#     @@^