Author Topic: Black Hole - couple of issues requiring help!  (Read 2561 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Black Hole - couple of issues requiring help!
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2009, 05:06:26 PM »
Could you Unscrew the hole gate mech and move it out slightly so that its only just stopping the ball?

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2009, 05:10:40 PM »
Could you Unscrew the hole gate mech and move it out slightly so that its only just stopping the ball?

I'll give it a try...Need to walk away for a bit again...Starting to do my head in.

The silly thing is, I've used the factory holes which were there.  I even swapped the upper playfield ball gate which came with machine.  No different so that eliminates the actual gate.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2009, 06:05:15 PM »
From comparing Nicks video to my video - does any one else think that his coil is being held in for longer?

Offline RaMpAgE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Bendigo, Vic
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2009, 06:22:37 PM »
From comparing Nicks video to my video - does any one else think that his coil is being held in for longer?

Not that I can see, In Nick's vid the ball is actually flicked forward when the gate opens, with yours it flicks the ball back < thats your problem right there.

Why have you removed the upper wireform from the lane on yours?

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2009, 06:41:23 PM »

Not that I can see, In Nick's vid the ball is actually flicked forward when the gate opens, with yours it flicks the ball back < thats your problem right there.

Why have you removed the upper wireform from the lane on yours?

Mine was different to Nicks...(didn't have the 90deg bend at end) and just stopped short of sitting inside the hole in rail.  So about 50% of the time the actual wire would stop plunger from moving.  I did look and it wasn't hitting the ball at all (ie helping it move on).

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2009, 07:41:11 PM »
I've been thinking and tinkering more.  I basically held my finger behind the ball and it worked flawlessly.  I suspect the correct wireform for the ballgate is perhaps stopping the ball rolling backwards?

The part number in the manual is A-20604 which is what I had x 2 which is doesn't really work properly (as described prev post).  However Nicks is completely different and if its original for the BH then I reckon that would be my issue.  The only problem is that in the parts manual it has a disclaimer for A-20604 that (Part No. may vary with game).  In the BH manual I can't seem to find what the correct one is.

Offline dj10555

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2009, 11:07:48 PM »
Hi MartyJ,
From the video Nicks ball gate definitely appears to open for longer. I have posted some details on another repair I recently carried out which may be related.
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=2487.0

This may/may not be related to your problem but thought it maybe worth trying. Do you have another driver board you could try in the game? A faulty MPS-U45 transistor could also cause a weird fault.

Hope this helps.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2009, 07:43:38 AM »
Hi MartyJ,
From the video Nicks ball gate definitely appears to open for longer. I have posted some details on another repair I recently carried out which may be related.
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=2487.0

This may/may not be related to your problem but thought it maybe worth trying. Do you have another driver board you could try in the game? A faulty MPS-U45 transistor could also cause a weird fault.

Hope this helps.

Howdee,

I don't have a spare driver board at this stage but I did test them a while back.  I will pull the board out again to be sure...

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2009, 09:42:24 AM »
I'm not sure you can test those MPS-U45 to be *good*. You can test them and get a result if they are bad, but just because the readings look right doesn't mean they are working properly. Best to replace that one if you want to rule it out of the question. If you don't have a spare to replace it with, let me know and I'll mail over a CEN-U45.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2009, 09:48:26 AM »
I'm not sure you can test those MPS-U45 to be *good*. You can test them and get a result if they are bad, but just because the readings look right doesn't mean they are working properly. Best to replace that one if you want to rule it out of the question. If you don't have a spare to replace it with, let me know and I'll mail over a CEN-U45.

I am about 82% sure that the wiregate (which I don't have) may be the issue.  It seems that the one in yours (pictured) with the 90deg bend is completely unique to BH.  Nobody seems to know the part number.  If you manually move the plunger by hand (with the ball in trough) can you just check for me if the wiregate touches the ball at all.  It was suggested that it was designed to do this?

Basically on mine, If the wiregate stopped it kicking back that bit I reckon it would be 100%....

I've emailed PBR to see if they have that part - but without the part number I don't like my chances.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2009, 09:54:06 AM »
Actually, that's it Marty. I just watched how it works and the tip of the wire actually pushes the ball forward as part of the action. This stops what is happening to yours (ball rolling backwards). If someone has a bit of that sort of wire I'm happy to bend one up to match, just don't have any of the wire myself.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2009, 10:01:56 AM »
Actually, that's it Marty. I just watched how it works and the tip of the wire actually pushes the ball forward as part of the action. This stops what is happening to yours (ball rolling backwards). If someone has a bit of that sort of wire I'm happy to bend one up to match, just don't have any of the wire myself.

I've ordered some gate wire from RTBB.  Once it arrives I'll let you know.  I may need another photo to work out dimensions as I get the feeling its probably fairly particular.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2009, 10:11:23 AM »

I've ordered some gate wire from RTBB.  Once it arrives I'll let you know.  I may need another photo to work out dimensions as I get the feeling its probably fairly particular.

No worries, I'll take some photos and sketch you a drawing then with dimensions while I've got the game apart.

Offline RaMpAgE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Bendigo, Vic
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2009, 01:35:03 PM »
I got a pic for you and noticed that mine is totally missing - wtf?  I guess I'll be in more trouble when I get to this stage of the restore.  ^.^

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2009, 02:08:41 PM »
I got a pic for you and noticed that mine is totally missing - wtf?  I guess I'll be in more trouble when I get to this stage of the restore.  ^.^

No stress, they are missing heaps on sited ones.  Aparently it was common.

If you get onto Steve YOUNG at PBR he did have a second hand one.  But no wiregates to suit.