Author Topic: Zaccaria parts needed for Earth wind and fire  (Read 2617 times)

Offline infinite1977

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
  • Roger 504 apprehend him
Re: Zaccaria parts needed for Earth wind and fire
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 05:35:45 PM »
Ok guys an update on my EWF.

Fuses have been checked and replaced. The transformers seem to work as they get warm when turned on, and lights go to the backglass, but no lights on the play field and displays do not power up. Nothing else seems to power up!! I am fairly sure that power gets to the power board but it seems that no power comes out of it. IS there anything else I can check to make sure the power board is working or is there someone who is willing to look at these boards to get it working?

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 06:56:42 PM »
time to crack out your multimeter and start measuring voltages.......

Ok guys an update on my EWF.

Fuses have been checked and replaced. The transformers seem to work as they get warm when turned on, and lights go to the backglass, but no lights on the play field and displays do not power up. Nothing else seems to power up!! I am fairly sure that power gets to the power board but it seems that no power comes out of it. IS there anything else I can check to make sure the power board is working or is there someone who is willing to look at these boards to get it working?
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Ric

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2010, 07:05:16 PM »
do you have the schematics?

they will give you an idea of where the voltages are being routed and to what value.

Be careful when working on the power board, they spit out some nasty voltages, particuarly to the displays that usually need 60+ volts to run.

also be very careful near the power transformers - i have been zapped by the line volts coming in and it is both painful and scary

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2010, 09:25:37 PM »
Have checked voltages according to the manual on pins and all seems to be ok. We have also changed over the bridge recifiers. I am thinking now there may be an issue with the +5v. Is it worth while changing that "black thing with the little silver thing in the middle" I have no idea what you call it, as that does seem cold when I fire the machine up.

See pic

Offline studley67

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • adelaide hills
    • facebook
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2010, 01:11:29 AM »
 ^&^i have an ew&f if you need help,damien
Life is too short to spend time with people who suck the happiness out of you

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2010, 09:11:41 AM »

There's a heap of Zac parts on eBay at the moment !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2010, 09:24:58 AM »
Have checked voltages according to the manual on pins and all seems to be ok. We have also changed over the bridge recifiers. I am thinking now there may be an issue with the +5v. Is it worth while changing that "black thing with the little silver thing in the middle" I have no idea what you call it, as that does seem cold when I fire the machine up.

See pic
the black thing is just a heat sink to disperse heat from the 5 volt regulator transistor (the silver thing in the middle).
did you said the voltages where ok? do you have 5 volts any where?
check the big blue thing below it (capicitor) i am not sure if that is the 5volt cap or the cap for the insert lamps.

the heat sink will only get warm after a while, they usually take a while to warm up depending on how much load is on the transistor.

also i notice that there are no fuses in that board pictured. without fuses it will not work.
check the manual for the correct value fuses
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:28:49 AM by beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2010, 01:20:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply Beaky. I must confess that picture is not of my board, I have posted a picture of my unit for you.
I do have fuses in. What is the best way to check if there is 5v going out? Or how can I test the capacitors? I suppose the next issue will be are these generic transistors and capacitors in the event I need to change them?

Thanks for dumbing it down for me, Electronics is not my forte but I am fortunate to have good help :)

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2010, 01:23:43 PM »
^&^i have an ew&f if you need help,damien

Hey Damien, are you able to send through a pic of your boards. ON my unit, there seems to be a wire hack where they have just soldered 2 wires on the back of the "CN5" connector on the power board and then connects to the CN12 connector on the Driver board, so I just want to make some comparisons if possible

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2010, 09:58:10 PM »
its a bit hard to determine which is the 5 volt rail but i am assuming that the big blue cap is on the 5 volt rail, check the voltage on the big blue cap.
be carefull of the area on the power supply covered by the plastic in the picture below, its the high voltage section.

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2010, 01:20:31 PM »
Thanks Beaky, how do I test that capacitor?

Also, is there anyone that I can send these boards to or someone willing to come and look at them?

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2010, 01:59:34 PM »
Thanks Beaky, how do I test that capacitor?

Also, is there anyone that I can send these boards to or someone willing to come and look at them?
sorry i made a mistake before with the big blue cap, that would be before the 5 volt regulator and it should have between 9v and 13v dc.
check this with you multimeter on set on dc.

there should be some pins marked TP1, TP2, TP3, and so on, with your multimeter set on DC and the black wire (-) hooked to a braded ground wire or to one of the screws holding the power supply board to the back box touch the red wire (+) on to each of these test points and write down what voltages are on each of the test points. when you have done that post those voltages here and i should be able to tell you if your 5 volts is present.

as far as the capacitors go if they are the original ones then they probably will need to be changed.

if you want you can send the power supply board up to me and i will be able to rebuild it for you, (ie change all the caps + bridge rectifiers and make sure it is working properly)

it would be a bit hard for me to test the other boards as i don't have a schematic or a zaccaria pin to test them in but if worst comes to worst and you can pay for a cheap return air fair for me i would be happy to come down and sort it all out for you if no one else locally can do it.

Offline Ric

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2010, 02:09:01 PM »
Some DMM's test capacitors however you usally cannot test them in circuit.

Otherwise, you will need an ESR meter to properly trest the cap

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2010, 01:54:55 PM »
Thanks guys. I have a mate who is a little more handy with a multi meter than what I am here now.

Here are the readings:
TP1: 174.6DC
TP2: 5.9DC
TP3: 11.8DC
TP4: 0.3DC
TP5: -5.0DC
TP6: 0
TP7 can not find

Offline infinite1977

• Forum Posts:
  • Lower Templestowe
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2010, 04:44:37 PM »
I think we found the problem. Cleaned connections on fuses on Power supply and everything lights up. The game seems to be in some weird test mode now and I cant get it out of there and there is no movement on solenoids.