Author Topic: Bally Rockmakers issues  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Bally Rockmakers issues
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 10:08:47 PM »
I haven't even opened the pinny this week, but now that my schematics and manual has arrived I'm going to dig right back in on the weekend  ^^^

Knowing EMs - it will probably start working now !

As part of your troubleshooting - can you post pictures of the start motor assembly ? I'd like to see where the score motor stops and the configuration of the switches.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Bennyfactor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Butler, Perth
  • Soon, soon...
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2010, 02:17:18 AM »
oh hell yea!

well now i know exactly what all the relays actually are and i was able to pinpoint the issue to the 'game over' relay
turns out there was a NO switch that was closed, a little adjustment and everything is working 100%

you can't wipe the smile off my face now :D

thanks so much for everyone's input, it's hard to believe that 1 poorly adjusted switch could cause so many problems!

I'll post up a pic of the score motor and the switches for you in the next couple of days strangeways, or PM me your email address and I'll send you better quality ones than i can post here

Cheers
Ben

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2010, 08:52:21 PM »
oh hell yea!

well now i know exactly what all the relays actually are and i was able to pinpoint the issue to the 'game over' relay
turns out there was a NO switch that was closed, a little adjustment and everything is working 100%

thanks so much for everyone's input, it's hard to believe that 1 poorly adjusted switch could cause so many problems!

I'll post up a pic of the score motor and the switches for you in the next couple of days strangeways, or PM me your email address and I'll send you better quality ones than i can post here

Cheers
Ben

Are you doing a restore on the machine?
What sort of condition is the machine in?
Would be great to see some pics.

Boots

Offline Bennyfactor

• Forum Posts:
  • Butler, Perth
  • Soon, soon...
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2010, 09:33:12 PM »
being my first pin all I'm really looking to do is shop it and clean it up so that it presents well, not looking to go the whole hog and do a restore right away

It's getting a full clean down at the moment with new lights and rubbers on the way
the cab has a crappy hand touch up job done on it so that has to go, will probably end up repainting and stenciling
the back glass is a bit flaky, so I'm going to seal it and have a go at touching it up, will see how it goes
the playfield is in really good nick and everything is adjusted right so I'm not touching anything in that regard

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2010, 11:22:27 PM »
What a great looking backglass!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2010, 11:43:17 PM »
oh hell yea!

Cheers
Ben

No need to post the picture - yet - The game is starting to work, and congratulations on your first EM repair !

Certainly a really nice machine - playfield and backglass are in exceptional condition.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2010, 12:11:22 AM »
Great looking backglass .  ^^^ Very unusual game by the look of it.
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline shansta

• Forum Posts:
  • Vic...
  • I want to migrate... To Qld...
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2010, 09:35:54 AM »
I like the way the cab looks now (Like it's got a few miles on it).   !@#

Having said that - I would probably paint it too.  :lol

Great looking machine Ben - well done.
Why is it called PMS?
Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken...

Offline FirePower

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2010, 10:22:36 AM »
A nice looking game.  Unusual layout, is that a flipper up the top left?

What's the "Rock-a-rock Punkte" on the BG? 

Web translations lead me to credits - does it award free games to individual players? or is it for matches on a per player basis, which wouldn't really seem necessary? For that matter credits on an individual basis wouldn't really seem needed on a per player basis unless there is some really weird way of winning them, and then how would you claim them or how do they reset?

In the words of the no so great oxlymoron "please explain"!

Offline Bennyfactor

• Forum Posts:
  • Butler, Perth
  • Soon, soon...
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2010, 11:51:08 AM »
yes there's a flipper on the top left, it's a 'skill shot' that lights the 100 or 200 point lanes

As far as I can tell 'punkte' just means points, on the english BG it's just called 'Rock-a-Rock'
when you light the ROCK or MAKERS rollovers you score one Rock-a-Rock point (& 100 regular points), the game has an add-a-ball feature that can be set to award extra balls for Rock-a-Rock points (set to 5 & 8 right now)
Also It's nice to have a running total of how many times you've lit the rollovers. it's a good incentive for novice players (like my wife) so they feel a sense of doing well even if their score sucks ;)

There's actually more to the game than it seems at first glance and it's pretty good fun
there's the Rock-a-Rock rollovers that are the main goal, but there's also a ball-save on the bottom right that sends the ball back to the shooter lane and one that's in the Rockcrusher lane (RHS) that sends the ball back to the shooter if you don't send it up there with enough force
The zipper flippers are a lot of fun too

I'm going to attempt to clean off the crappy touch up job and see what it looks like with just the original art on the cab, you can't really tell in the pic, but the white section that's been touched up on the side is all tinged blue, like they touched up blue first, then started the white before the blue was dry and got it all mixed together, also the black sections on the front should be white, I don't mind a vintage look to the cab, just not looking like my 6 year old has had a go at the art
same deal with the backbox, it's been painted all white, but i can still see the original art below it, so I'll try to gently get the white off first and then see how it comes up

when my kids saw that the BG had a volcano and a monkey it was met with immediate approval, lol
it looks pretty cool when it's on, the lights behind the name and behind the volcano flash off and on, which is a great effect

Thanks for all the comments guys =)

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2010, 02:22:26 PM »

Sounds like a really cool game. Bally's were not big on Drop Targets during this era, but the artwork and cool features like zipper flippers etc made their machines enjoyable to play.

Offline Bennyfactor

• Forum Posts:
  • Butler, Perth
  • Soon, soon...
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2010, 05:47:35 PM »
so how bad is it to play without a coil stop on your flippers?
When fixing a broken pin on a slingshot plunger I noticed that one of my flippers is missing its coil stop!!! (which explains the buzzing I get when I hold that flipper down)  @.@

I'll be ordering a new one, but in the mean time is it going to be damaging to play it without the stop?  !@#

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2010, 06:42:04 PM »
so how bad is it to play without a coil stop on your flippers?
When fixing a broken pin on a slingshot plunger I noticed that one of my flippers is missing its coil stop!!! (which explains the buzzing I get when I hold that flipper down)  @.@

I'll be ordering a new one, but in the mean time is it going to be damaging to play it without the stop?  !@#

Yes - don't play the game without the stop. Are you planning on a flipper rebuild kit ?

Offline Bennyfactor

• Forum Posts:
  • Butler, Perth
  • Soon, soon...
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2010, 06:59:13 PM »
With christmas on the way I'm just trying to get it back to running 100% with the least money spent so I wasn't planning to rebuild the flippers for a couple of months yet

I'll see if I can buy just a coil stop for the time being

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2010, 07:44:09 PM »
Was that the zipper flippers or the other flipper.
I have spare flipper mechanism - can you post a pict ?
Millsy
pinballaustralia.com