Author Topic: Gottlieb Sinbad Restoration  (Read 5160 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: Gottlieb Sinbad Restoration
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 08:24:04 PM »
Wow, that playfield looks sensational!
Great game.

Offline big dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2014, 10:13:11 PM »
one of the best sys 1.. great rule set..great shots...bloody hard twin flippers but with good power.   Its looking good Nino

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 10:35:18 PM »
Niño, love the drop target cleanup. If you have to replace the springs whose and what ones do you use please?
I have 20 of them to do on my 2001 and have no idea which ones or where to buy.
Cheers Andy
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline bleargh

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 11:50:59 AM »
That Zinc Plating looks GORGEOUS.  I'm all jealous now.  Care to share some info at some point on your setup for that?

Offline The Silence

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 12:20:44 AM »
Great work Nino, I recently played one of your restores,  I think it was called Pro Football, it was one of the best EM's that I have ever played.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 09:44:38 AM »
Niño, love the drop target cleanup. If you have to replace the springs whose and what ones do you use please?
I have 20 of them to do on my 2001 and have no idea which ones or where to buy.
Cheers Andy

The springs rarely need to be replaced. If they are missing, rusted or broken then the part number would be (out of my 1982 SYS1 parts manual) ;

A-18995 for the spring that is located on the DT
A-517 for the spring located on the bottom panel that connects to the trigger

That Zinc Plating looks GORGEOUS.  I'm all jealous now.  Care to share some info at some point on your setup for that?

http://www.janekits.com.au/mainframe.php

I started using their Zinc plating kit a few years ago after losing too many small parts at a professional plating shop. I still take the large parts that don't fit in my plating bath. The smaller parts, I do in the garage. It takes a lot of organization and patience. But now I can do 3 days work in half a day after working out  my routine. Smaller parts are easy. Large parts still go to the plater shop.

Great work Nino, I recently played one of your restores,  I think it was called Pro Football, it was one of the best EM's that I have ever played.

Thanks for the kind words. If it was Mark's Pro Football in Queensland, then you played the game I restored. I put a lot into that game and loved working on it. It went to a good home ! I tried emailing Mark last week but the email bounced as it has been a long time since we last emailed.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2014, 08:56:52 PM »
I forgot to order the NEW plastics set from PBR on my last order - so I had to sit and wait for a week. In the meantime, I played the game, checking everything worked and sorting out any small issues. While waiting, I sealed the backglass with Krylon Triple Thick ;

Then I installed the plastics set and started to play the game !

It plays very well and is quite addictive. The Pascal board has been installed and the relevant connector and pins are replaced. This board is a brilliant product !

Backboard looks great and all the displays were recharged and work perfectly.

So now the game will be played for a day or two simply to ensure any niggling issues occur at my place and not the new owner's !

Next update will be the bling pictures - But today was CRAP - so I could not take any !

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 10:50:50 PM »
 It's come up beautifully Nino.  @@*
 Your attention to detail really shows in those pictures, the new owner is going to be absolutely stoked.

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 07:29:46 AM »
How did you recharge the displays?

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 08:48:22 AM »
How did you recharge the displays?

Taken from Clay's Pinrepair guide.

Recharging System1/System80 Score Displays.
The six digit blue Futaba score displays used on System1 and System80 games are
identical and interchangable. But often the displays will fade over time, eventually
not working at all. There may not be any problems with the display circuits
themselves, but instead there may be oxidation on the display glass filiment wires.
There is a trick to burn this oxidation off the filiment wires, making the displays work
like brand new (there is a limited number of times you can do this though, the law of
diminishing returns does apply).

First turn the game off and remove one of the 6-digit score displays. Then take a
pair of jumper wires, and connect them to the front door coin lock-out coil lugs (24
volts DC). Next attach the aligator clips to the outside most pins of the score
display (it does not matter which gets ground). Now turn the game on for 3 to 5
seconds, then immediately turn the game off. While the game is on, the thin
horizontal filiment wires in the score display glass will glow. This burns the oxidation
off the filiment wires.
WARNING: Do not leave the power to the display for more than 5 seconds, or you
could burn a filiment wire ruining the display! Also do not use coil voltage to recharge
the 4-digit ball/credit display. If you need to recharge a 4-digit ball/credit display,
use 8 to 12 volts DC instead. I have even heard of some people using a 9 volt
battery to do this.

Addicted to pins.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 08:51:21 AM »
Nice job again Nino.  You are right about that backglass - it is in great condition.

Sinbad only seems to receive the accolades it deserves from those that have played or own the machine.  I bought one a while ago that I planned to get going and flip but once I started playing the machine I was hooked.  It is one of the best Sys 1 and all round drop target machines ever made.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2014, 11:58:06 AM »

Sinbad Completed !

After testing the game for a couple of days, it is ready to pack and send interstate to its new owner. I didn't take the usual "bling" photos as I've been flat out and the weather has been average.

A note about the apron - it is original. Very rare to find a game that does not need a new apron decal. Ironically, there is no Apron decal for Sinbad !

Note I include a NEW manual for the new owner. I absolutely hate the idea of removing them from the games and selling them on eBay. So I buy a new manual if there is not one in the machine (if it is available).

It is already packed and will be going next week.

Offline onetaste

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 03:33:32 PM »
Hi Nino, I went halves with a friend and bought the Sinbad on Ebay last weekend. It has a lovely backglass with a few blemishes. The blue windows for the score displays are badly messed up, though. Are you willing to share what you do to fix this, if you do anything at all?

Cheers, onetaste

Offline Sinbad79

• Forum Posts:
Re: Re: Gottlieb Sinbad Restoration
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2014, 01:59:45 AM »

Here is a photo of the actual problem.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2014, 07:34:45 AM »
Hi Nino, I went halves with a friend and bought the Sinbad on Ebay last weekend. It has a lovely backglass with a few blemishes. The blue windows for the score displays are badly messed up, though. Are you willing to share what you do to fix this, if you do anything at all?

Hi mate, welcome to Aussie pinball. There's lots of good people here who will help out with advise to get your machine looking and playing the best it can. There's also another section to post in for repairs and problems where people will find any of your technical issues quicker.
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?board=30.0  You'll learn a lot from reading other peoples problems and the solutions here also. Particularly for system 1 machines like yours ( great game by the way)
 This link will answer a few questions on your blue windows for you  http://www.pinballpal.com/products/gdisplay/   
    ^^^