Author Topic: Elvira and the Party Monsters in the U.S.  (Read 135 times)

Offline PinPal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney, Australia
  • Pinpal Pinball
Elvira and the Party Monsters in the U.S.
« on: March 25, 2011, 12:09:07 AM »
My next project is an Elvira Pinball, there is a nice restored one in the US

ELVIRA AND THE PARTY MONSTERS PINBALL MACHINE~RESTORED!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ELVIRA-AND-PARTY-MONSTERS-PINBALL-MACHINE-RESTORED-/330542893582?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf5e44a0e

What is the risk in shipping a pinball from the US to Australia?  And would it be a good idea to get it insured before it leaves the US.
Interested to no if eneyone has bought a pinball from the U.S. ?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Elvira and the Party Monsters in the U.S.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 09:49:20 AM »

If the shipper has experience in packaging and arranging shipping then that is the biggest "risk" taken care of. Unfortunately, there are things that can happen that are out of your control (and the seller's), but if it is properly insured, then you are covered. The first time you ship anything from overseas, the more stress it can create, but it will be rewarding once you have it safely in your gamesroom.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 09:52:30 AM »
I've not imported one personally, so my info is 3rd hand.

Are you looking to get it shipped (ie in a container) through a freight forwarder or sent via airfrieght?

Eitherway I believe you should use a freight forwarder (in Australia).

Yes to insurance...For a pin less than $1000 I wouldn't bother..

I would estimate you would be up for anywhere from $1500 to $3000 on top of the purchase price, for customs duty, frieght, fumigation, fees etc...

I believe it is cheaper to import from Europe than USA to Australia...Maybe checkout Pauls'50 on eBay...I know a few members have imported 1-off machines from them with good results.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 10:09:24 PM »
Importing anything the size of a pinball machine from the USA is alot of work, alot of precise paperwork, and alot of risk.

* If the seller has not had experience with customs n exporting items to overseas, unless u get the exact paperwork done 100% to satisfy the Australian authorities, u can easily end up in trouble. The costs can/are large. To understate the specific requirements that must be adhered to , would be to set u up for failure.
THERE are various posts that have been done by myself n others about IMPORTING etc. Maybe look up a few n contact your local Govt Customs House, and government websites before u even consider doing it. IT AINT EASY.  

There are some of us who have been thru it a few times and it is something u would only do if u cannot find the same machine here in Australia.
You can use a freight forwarder, but it will add $1,000 to the cost. I did my last few imports without a freight forwarder, but u must get all the paperwork 1 million percent right, and the sellers paperwork and obligations must be done 1 million percent correctly before the machine goes to the docks in the USA. This is where things always fail.Its not like just sending a box thru aust post. Far from.

I believe there is a seller in QLD who has a really nice ELVIRA n THE PARTY MONSTERS for sale. I would purchase that machine first.

Contact me via PM for the sellers details.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 10:13:44 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !