Author Topic: Bally Corvette Reconditioning  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Bally Corvette Reconditioning
« on: March 24, 2013, 01:18:17 AM »
A sleeper title that I thought I'd start "in between" some SS and EM restorations. no real reason for starting this game other than I really wanted to play a fully reconditioned game. This machine will be prepared for sale, but does not have an owner as yet !

Condition Report

Playfield - 9/10 - Looks very good - FILTHY with limited wear around the outhole. Very happy with it. No broken plastics, but the LT-5 ramp will be replaced as it is damaged.

Cabinet - 9/10 - Very nice except a small dint in the right siderail and some minor scuff marks.

Electronics - 9/10 - All good. Boards are all in VERY good condition with NO hacks.

The Game is in working order, and it is complete. It could meet eBay standards quite easily  @@^

"Before" pictures

This is a classic. An oversized rubber under the slingshot plastic has been wrapped around the post  @@*

Some general filth around the filthy pop bumpers !

One smashed ramp ! Luckily I had reserved one of the last populated Pinball Inc / RTBB Ramps.

FULLY stripped playfield. All posts and pop bumpers removed. First pass is a quick clean with Nifti and Novus 2.

Playfield has been polished and waxed. The metal hardware is regrained and the posts are polished.

My absolute "pet hate" - Pop Bumpers that are not replaced. I cannot believe these cheap parts are nearly ALWAYS left on "reconditioned" or "shopped" pinball machines. Simply lazy to not replace them. I'll leave the first post on this restoration with a photo of the old crappy pop bumper assembly with a BRAND NEW pop bumper assembly next to it. I just cannot believe that this shortcut is so common these days !

:D

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
Re: Bally Corvette Reconditioning
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 01:27:00 AM »
Very good game Corvette. I had one of these in the past and i enjoyed. Love the drag strip feature.

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 11:31:20 AM »
Looks like this one won't need much TLC Nino .
Certainly agree re replacing Pop Bumpers .
Its inexpensive, not hard to do and makes a huge improvement to the look of the machine .
Also well worth taking the time to rebuild them to improve performance.
I consider this step mandatory on any game being overhauled/restored.
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 02:06:18 PM »
Looking good Nino, Great game and the best car themed pin by far i believe. Sorry Getaway fans!

Love watching your restores and i am sure this will find a happy owner in no time!  *%*

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 04:48:09 PM »
Lookin good so far Nino  ^^^

Gotta love the ingenuity of some people, ie the sling rubber wrapped around the post.. CLASSIC  %.% %.% i've never come across THAT before  *.*

Best one i've seen has been elastic hair bands replacing the sling rubber(s).. was done to my Stellar Wars when i got it  :lol

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 06:15:23 PM »
Great work Nino will be watching this with interest. The drag strip can be a pain to get right  !@# still got problems with one of my cars not moving on the dragstrip!
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 11:44:58 AM »
Slingshot rubber is a pisser, gotta love what some of the operators came up with to keep the money coming  :lol

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 11:28:08 AM »

The mechs all need to be rebuilt. Broken parts and coil sleeves all need to be replaced. You can a lot about the history of the game when doing this. Sometimes the pop bumper yokes look ok, but you won't know unless you disassemble properly. All these mechs are rebuilt ;

All mechs rebuilt. Cleaned and then tumbled. Ne sleeves installed

The engine and ramp assembly are next. I've never seen a "shopped" game with this working 100%, and I've never seen this assembly have all it's coil sleeves replaced. For some reason, it is overlooked - probably because it is a time consuming process.

Fully rebuilt

Installed in the playfield - ready for testing.

Playfield re assembly is coming along nicely. I've decided to use purple Cliffy posts. I've also installed a Cliffy protector - this game didn't need one, but they look great. LEDs are tested at this stage to ensure they are the right color.

POP Bumpers - All the plastic parts replaced, so they "pop". Not replacing them is the first sign of a shortcut.

Next update will be the LT-5 Ramp rebuild - which is one of the most complicated ramps to replace.

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 05:13:51 PM »
Nice work Nino,

I just finished a Corvette at work myself and it was probably the most grueling rebuild to date for us.
The game play of this game is incredible but relies heavily on everything working perfectly (thanks ddstoys for his sweet tech work).

Keep up the good work.

Tim

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 05:22:17 PM »
Hey, lets organise a Pinball Build Off. lol
We need 2 x pinball games the same, we give one to Nino, one to El Timbo, and give u guys the same amount of time, then after the machines are fully finished, we can vote on the winning machine (like biker build off TV show).

I ofcourse can donate 2 x machines for a Free Restoration.  && &&  %.%

Ok, I will be serious now, great work, its looking excellent. Playfield shine is Terrific. Never seen one of these ever cleaned up properly.
Fully working, it will be a winner.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 07:42:53 PM »

A sleeper title that I thought I'd start "in between" some SS and EM restorations. no real reason for starting this game other than I really wanted to play a fully reconditioned game. This machine will be prepared for sale, but does not have an owner as yet !

Sound's like your enjoying the new career Nino. Great gig if you can get it...restore a machine (which is a passion not a chore) play it for a while (because it's fun and because you can) then move it on to some lucky buyer and move on to the next one.
Living the dream now well done.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 09:33:46 PM »
CORVETTE SUCK......   I seriously cringe whenever I'm asked to work on one.   Looking good so far niƱo just hope the gremlins stay away from this one.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 10:11:37 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. I consider myself very lucky that I get up every morning and work on something I love. I'm sure Tim feels the same way. We are both very fortunate  ^^^

Although Tim and I are "full timers" there are many very good restorers on this site that are as good, but have not taken the step to full time. The key to pinball restoration is that you have to love what you are doing, and restore every game as if it is your own. Funnily enough, I have not done a "keeper game" for 6-7 years !

The Corvette pinball in an engineering marvel. Right up there with ST TNG. Very difficult to have everything working 100% - and strangely enough, I cannot recall playing a perfectly working game. So I'm keen to play this game when done !

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 03:50:56 PM »
Corvette is a great game. If you have a spare set of Sys11 drop targets, I suggest putting the drop targets back in the game.

I have a frankenproto Corvette pin - a NOS wired prototype Corvette playfield dropped in a production corvette cabinet from a partout. I pulled the playfield out of the rafters of a corvette speed shop in Bowling Green, KY USA - Bowling Green is where Chevrolet builds the Corvette.

George Gomez and team took prototype Corvette pins to the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green back when the museum opened.

The guy I got the playfield from bought a game, and bought a spare wired playfield for parts. When he sold the game to someone, the person didn't want the spare playfield. So, he put it on eBay.

The prototype Corvette playfields have some neat differences. George filled me in on most of them. The yellow inserts with the cars are blue with a neat overlay on them. A few protos had a 4 speed shifter assy on the side of the cabinet. I'm working on retrofitting this to my Corvette.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 11:18:47 AM »
Corvette is a great game. If you have a spare set of Sys11 drop targets, I suggest putting the drop targets back in the game.

I have a frankenproto Corvette pin - a NOS wired prototype Corvette playfield dropped in a production corvette cabinet from a partout. I pulled the playfield out of the rafters of a corvette speed shop in Bowling Green, KY USA - Bowling Green is where Chevrolet builds the Corvette.

George Gomez and team took prototype Corvette pins to the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green back when the museum opened.

The guy I got the playfield from bought a game, and bought a spare wired playfield for parts. When he sold the game to someone, the person didn't want the spare playfield. So, he put it on eBay.

The prototype Corvette playfields have some neat differences. George filled me in on most of them. The yellow inserts with the cars are blue with a neat overlay on them. A few protos had a 4 speed shifter assy on the side of the cabinet. I'm working on retrofitting this to my Corvette.

There's not much info out there about the prototype, although I can see that the game is so cluttered that it should have been a wide body game.

Update

The Pinball Inc ramp arrived and it is a ripper of a ramp. Fully populated except for the gates, coil and other items that need to be moved from the old ramp. There's more "going on" with this ramp than meets the eye. Considering the main "toy" is part of the ramp, it is an engineering marvel. Really well designed. Of course there is a bit of work with installing the ramp, but the good news is that it fits perfectly and looks great !

The front door and ugly carriage bolts are taken care of by a repaint. There's not much that can be done unless a new front decal is installed, but I like to paint the bolts and clear them. The front door and frame are removed, cleaned and repainted to the original look. This door was a semi gloss instead of the flat black of the previous doors. Still looks a lot better !

There was a previous repair done to the headbox which I didn't like. The back panel was removed for some reason and a dodgy repair done. I was curious to know "why" so I removed the back panel to see for myself. It looks like a section was pushed back as it broke the ground braid. I ended up removing the back panel completely and refitting it correctly. Took a while, but it is 100% now.

I'll have to attend to this - the only blemish on the cabinet

Here's the repaired headbox. A fresh coat of paint on the inside and also the outside

All the boards have been checked and repaired. They are all 100%.

All the cleaned head hardware is re assembled.

Back to the playfield !