Author Topic: Looking for pictures of a Gottlieb Play Ball  (Read 380 times)

Offline scozza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kensington Grove, QLD
    • eviltechie.com
Looking for pictures of a Gottlieb Play Ball
« on: March 30, 2011, 07:34:12 PM »
Howdy Peeps,

I'm in the throes of restoring a Gottlieb Playball but unfortunately the cabinet had been stripped by the previous owner.  Does anyone out there have a PBall that they could photograph "straight on" for me so I can attampt a repaint?

Cheers,

Scott.
*** Playball (2) - Hotline - Goldball - Fish Tales - Lethal Weapon 3 -  Striker Xtreme - Star Trek TNG - Star Trek Pro *** Previous machines - Gorgar - Surf Champ - Centigrade 37 - Liberty Bell - Magic - Galaxy -  ***

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Looking for pictures of a Gottlieb Play Ball
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 09:34:24 PM »
Howdy Peeps,

I'm in the throes of restoring a Gottlieb Playball but unfortunately the cabinet had been stripped by the previous owner.  Does anyone out there have a PBall that they could photograph "straight on" for me so I can attampt a repaint?

Cheers,

Scott.

Hmmm a photograph will give you a distorted picture of the graphics.
A better way would be a tracing to have an accurate stencil.
A way I have used with photographs is to mark 100mm x 100mm gridlines in pencil over the artwork (on a machine that is being repainted), then edit the photos you have and create a heap of square images using the gridlines as a square reference, then stitch the images together like a patchwork quilt.
You would be very surprised how curved and distorted a photograph can actually be.

I used Autocad to trace it out and create a drawing to plot full size on paper and then used wallpaper glue to glue the paper to 4mm MDF sheet.
You can see on the photo how I have distorted the image to square it up roughly before tiling it.

Offline scozza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kensington Grove, QLD
    • eviltechie.com
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 06:47:40 PM »
Thanks Boots,

That's a great solution.  Now all I need is some photos to start with!

Cheers,

Scott.
*** Playball (2) - Hotline - Goldball - Fish Tales - Lethal Weapon 3 -  Striker Xtreme - Star Trek TNG - Star Trek Pro *** Previous machines - Gorgar - Surf Champ - Centigrade 37 - Liberty Bell - Magic - Galaxy -  ***

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 03:59:49 PM »
I Have also been trying to think of a way of doing the same thing but with a cabinet that someone DOESN'T want to paint (don't want to damage good paint with gridlines)
The best idea I can think of is to print gridlines on overhead projector clear sheets and scotch tape it to the side of the cab before taking the photos, that way the gridlines are there in the phot but there is no cleanup on the "good" donor cab