Author Topic: Wtb F14 Mpu and Displays Sys 11A (FOUND)  (Read 695 times)

Offline TUF-427

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane Queensland Australia
Re: Wtb F14 Mpu and Displays Sys 11A
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 05:25:23 PM »
I let Ebay one thru to the Keeper Got up there once you added postage...still looking...
Firepower, F14 Tomcat, Terminator2, Twilight Zone, No Fear, TAF, Hyperball, Sttng....

Offline pulstar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 10:11:09 PM »
I was watching this Pin... enjoy.
I have ordered these displays in the past (11610) but RTBB said they didn't stock them and I had to get from the US.
Ebay in the US is a good place to watch for one of these boards, I didn't know rottendog had a replacement for these.
Were the PCB's for the lamps under the playfield on this machine?

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 03:04:21 AM »
i would be careful buying a rotten dog mpu.
A customer of mine has provided me with one to test with his sys11C boards i am restoring for him

there is a problem with the special solenoids section on the mpu driver board.

the problem is when you activate the top right  pop bumper it triggers the bottom sling shot, but when you activate the right sling shot it triggers the bottom sling shot also.

when you do a coil test all coils work as they should.

the fault is not in the wiring because it all works correctly with the WMS mpu / driver board in it.

Mind you this is a system 11c not 11A so you will get a different board.

If you can track down a good second hand mpu / driver board then that would be the best way to go.

I will keep you posted on the outcome of the sling shot / pop bumper problem.

On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 09:55:32 AM »
I had one of the rottendog boards in a DE machine and pulled it out and converted it to a system 11.  The board worked flawlessly in both DE and Williams.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 10:06:19 AM »
I had a Rottendog one in my TOMMY and worked perfectly.  I've always purchased directly from Rottendog though, so this may avoid getting superseded boards.

Offline TUF-427

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 07:29:51 PM »
Pulstar yes have checked With RTBB he doesnt stock the types of displays used in the F14,

will have to bring Display for it in from the Us I think...

I Still havent recieved the machine yet so not sure what lamp board you are referring to?

The under playfield Pics I have look like its complete apart from a broken flipper Base,

It seems to have all the Voltage dropping resistor Boards etc intact..

Beaky thanks for the heads up on the Rdogs board,

I think the Sys 11A one they make is the same main board as the C but also includes the sound daughterboard,

so could definatly have the Same issues..

I think  from the Sys 11Bs from Big Guns onward,

Williams started to use Solenoid/Flasher multiplexing and Cpu solenoid control wonder if the RD issue has got anything to do with that?

I May have sourced an early Sys11 board (out of hispeed I think) thats still got the 7 segment diagnostic display,

which from what Ive read on pinrepair is forward compatible to Sys11A with a few mods..

Dont know how good the board is tho till i get it posted had to take a bit of a punt,

has some acid damage so hopefully its salvagable,hard to tell in Lo res photos..

Peter..
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 07:33:03 PM by TUF-427 »
Firepower, F14 Tomcat, Terminator2, Twilight Zone, No Fear, TAF, Hyperball, Sttng....

Offline pulstar

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 10:35:51 PM »
There are two Lamp PCB's, one front Centre and one Rear Centre which have approx 8?? lamps each on them... hard to tell if they are there from the pictures but you cant see any green. Shouldn't be impossible to make something to hold some lamps. 1 wire would go to each lamp and a common would run around all the lamps.

Offline TUF-427

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 12:16:12 AM »
I Had a Sneaking suspicion My F14 project machine is A prototype or an early production one,

The clear flashlamps rear of playfield are another clue....

Found this pic of under playfield on IPDB of a prototype (1 of 10) and it doesnt have Pcbs either just lampholders..

Offline pulstar

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 10:39:58 PM »
Cool, haven't seen one like this.... also all the ones Ive seen have the clear flashlamps at the rear although as you have probably read also.. apparently they were red on all but the eraly ones. The Early F14 also takes a different Display as it has 4 lamps as part of the Display PCB.

Offline TUF-427

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2011, 12:00:50 AM »
yeah you had me worried there for a minute or two thought where the F***** was I going to get those from...

Picking it up in the morning so will be able to make a full assessment tomorrow...

will start a relevant thread with plenty of pics..

I would say this would have had the earlier display fitted but I think its not hard to retro the newer style..

the serial number and the cabinet artwork will be interesting.....

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2011, 03:36:37 AM »
The problem with the rotten dog sys11C mpu / driver board is a design fault.
they have 2 of the inputs for the special solenoids arse about (one of the pop bumpers and the right slingshot)

in some earlier system11 games the sling shots were also controlled via a direct switch input but on sys11c (and some sys11b games) they are triggered via the switch matrix but the direct input is still usable on sys11c.
so when you triggered the sling shot by the sling shot switch it is pulsed and when you trigger the pop bumper it also fires the sling shot but from another input on the board  ^&^

but its all sorted. I will post a photo soon.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline TUF-427

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2011, 09:12:06 PM »
Hey Beaky how old is the Rdog board?

Have they been informed of the issues with it wonder if they have made any revisions on it?

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2011, 12:32:59 PM »
Hey Beaky how old is the Rdog board?

Have they been informed of the issues with it wonder if they have made any revisions on it?
The plug that has the inputs swapped around is not used in sys11c  @.@
I was testing it in a sys11b which uses direct inputs for the pop bumpers

the problem though is rottendog use the system 11c board with a daughter board for the sound so you will be getting the same board as i have.

I assume they send an adaptor with it to correct the fault.  !@#

the board I have here was bought from rotten dog directly so one would assume it's there latest revision.

Offline TUF-427

• Forum Posts:
Re: Wtb F14 Mpu and Displays Sys 11A (FOUND)
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 02:00:25 AM »
Cool Beaky I heeded your advice steered away from thew Rdog....

and managed to score an almost mint Sys11A board out of an F14 ,

No acid damage at all which is rare for these it seems...

even has the Williams F14 proto roms mY machine would have originally come out with!

Hooked it up to 12 and 5v and it boots and passes the memory test etc...

good to have a win every once in awhile...

Peter..

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: Wtb F14 Mpu and Displays Sys 11A (FOUND)
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 02:10:42 PM »
good to hear that you had a win.