Author Topic: Stern announces new KISS pinball  (Read 128332 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Stern announces new KISS pinball
« Reply #375 on: May 25, 2015, 12:19:59 PM »
Music can be replaced with original recordings?
Looks like I missed something here.

I read somewhere that the SPIKE system would be configurable via a web browser. Apparently, a technically minded pinhead has already "cracked" the system, and one of the points raised was that many aspects of the games can be changed. There is no word from Stern, but it would be in their best interests to allow the features to be changed. All LE buyers that I have raised this with are hoping to change the songs, so hopefully we can ASAP.

It's a shame that the original recordings were not included in the first place.

Band politics, and bad business. The main reason I have not paid for one single KISS item since 2001. The original recordings sound awesome. Some have really crap production, and they are raw. But they embody what KISS was about in the 70's. Note that almost ALL songs on the KISS pinball are originally recorded by the original members. By re recording the originals with the cover band line up, they don't have to pay Ace or Peter royalties on the music. This was done so that IF anyone wanted to use KISS music, then they were forced to use the covers (which is what they really are). If Stern wanted to use the original recordings, they would have to have that argument with the bands label. They would decline and forward the covers. What Gene and Paul did was ensure Ace and Peter don't get a cent (and Vinnie Vincent for "Lick it Up" and "I Love it loud").

The irony is that the music that KISS will be remember for, is from the first 8 studio and 2 live recordings. By re recording the popular tracks and making it available to license, is a disgrace - and one of the reasons I don't follow the tribute band line up. They are still my favorite band of all time (1973-2003), and I acknowledge that they still fill arenas across the globe to this day. But taken in context, they are doing this by dressing up Eric as Peter, Tommy as Ace, and playing 90% of the setlist from the 70's.. A nostalgia cover band. Even the RARHOF would not acknowledge ANY of KISS' contribution post 1979 when inducted last year.

Back on topic - I own the original recordings, so I can use them on my pinball as I see fit. As soon as I am able to replace the songs, I will ! 
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia