Author Topic: Williams EM Little Chief – Balls not counting… HELP  (Read 1068 times)

Offline JRK1971

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Thanks for the advice so far guys, i've been out in the shed and haven't gotten any closer. Appreciate all your advice, sorry I'm not getting all the testing done at this stage...

Can tell you the answers to your questions as follows:

I tried shorting the two switches on the coin door (that should be touching), unfortunately no go.

Game does seem to do everything else except advance the ball count or advance to next player (except for fact that the "Eject Advance stepper unit" is broken and the features don't work -needs some parts for the solenoid plate etc) - photo of this is below, a connection to the home switch is broken (but I've put it in home position which is normally open).

A photo of the switch in the shooting lane is also attached ( I can't find a ref to this switch in the schematic (link to schematic below)

In single player it never advances the ball count unit, in 2-4 player mode (eg set for 4 to play) it never goes to next player. Going by this, I don't think I have a coil problem as 2 coils would need to be shot (have measured them). Im having trouble checking the voltage across the coil - using a DMM, will make a LED test light so I can see it visually. I tried checking the contacts on the Outhole relay but my aligator clips are cr@p - need to go buy some (couldn't check the normally open successfully, was trying to hold solenoid closed and measure, but no good as needed more hands).

I have a copy of the schematic for the machine {from here http://files.flipperspill.no/Support/Pinball/Manuals/Williams-little-chief-1975-schematics.pdf } and it looks like the (location 6c on the schematic) problem could be related to the "Outhole relay" or the "Ball index relay" - my thinking with this is because 1A and 2A on the score reel both complete a cct from this area and both do either Ball unit Step Up or Player advance.

I did find an article that shows that the "Ball Index relay" is energised as soon as a score is acheived - this is supposed to ensure that the ball count increments (the relay does energise as soon as a score is made).

That's about it so far, haven't made any progress - been looking at the ccts for a while, not getting anywhere. Bit bummed out. Oh well. One last thing, tried to measure the contacts on the score reel - what is an easy way to do this (you need to be about 2 feet high with extremely small hands to work in there.