Author Topic: Are NIB Stern buyers coping a double hit?  (Read 3123 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Are NIB Stern buyers coping a double hit?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 08:24:34 PM »
Stern has to cover a massive increase in new high end design and engineering staff plus extra management , then throw in the research and development costs of the completely new SPIKETM system plus a new factory which is three times the size with 3 production lines instead of one. An increase was inevitable unfortunately.

The machines are a lot better so we have that as a bonus

Yeh... im not seeing the logic here.

I thought STERN machines were rock solid already... cop an absolute flogging at Timezone etc etc etc.. all without fault. So why change it?
Massive increase in new high end design and engineering.. see above comment.
R&D.. see above comment.
Extra management?... why?... management don't make anything, they push paper so we have extra levels of bureaucracy?
A new factory 3X the size of the old..... maybe they need the extra management to explain that if your production is not ready for a space 3X the size, you don't buy/ lease it?

So bottom line is that STERN have calculated that they can increase production to an extent where a much larger factory is required... but the shortfall of that is that the end product will cost more?

The company obviously should not have expanded... simple.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 08:34:05 PM »

No doubt we will see new listings with new prices (using old stock inventory purchased at the old prices) in the coming days.

Given the next game(s) they have to buy to replace that stock will cost them more, that is not unusual retailer practice.
+1 a concept a lot of people do not or refuse to understand
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 09:07:02 PM »
I think Stern are doing themselves a disfavour with their pricing and even at a talk by Gary about 2 years ago in Sydney he stated that Australia was 25% of their valued business. They better look at their prices and consider some changes if they want to maintain those sales.

I have worked for a few big factories and during those busy times when we started to run out of room and potential sales growth we had to relocate to new and bigger premises after much evaluation. We definitely did not increase our product prices to cover the move, we moved because there was potential sales growth not just because we wanted more room to spread crap around but to pump more sales. No point in more room with more potential with then a decline in sales due to large price increases. They should be putting the pinch on the contract work like the MMr's not on their base line of Pro's especially if they are becoming cheaper to manufacturer. I understand a small increase due to the dollar but there has been increases in a pro's over the last 4 years from $5500 to $7850 which is almost a 43% increase in 4 years.

I also reckon they are lifting prices as I believe when JJP first came out they had a higher price point and then the boutique and new manufacturers came in above Stern. Stern have watched lots of sales and probably thinking, shit we could be earning more, which they probably could be, but still reckon with higher prices means less sales. Gary has been banging on about getting pinball out there, if he stayed $2k under all the other competitors and they would do better. Also reckon it is a strategy to bump some other companies off producing pins.

I haven't bought a NIB stern so can't comment about the service AMD provide but they should be smarter and start importing other machines even just to help themselves.

For someone with a bit of cash, now is probably a good time to start bringing a container once or twice a year of NIB Sterns and other brands, then AMD may start to be a little more competitive or is Bruce on the wind down.

!*! !*! !*! !*! !*! !*!
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 09:13:09 PM »

No doubt we will see new listings with new prices (using old stock inventory purchased at the old prices) in the coming days.

Given the next game(s) they have to buy to replace that stock will cost them more, that is not unusual retailer practice.
+1 a concept a lot of people do not or refuse to understand

I understand it perfectly, but it doesn't mean I have to simply shrug my shoulders and accept it. Not when there are viable alternative solutions available.

Australia has always been the golden goose for any NIB pinball sales regardless of the company - whether it be Stern/AMD or BW/LAI. They pay big dollars to the parent to secure an exclusive sole distributorship and will defend vigorously (and litigously) any attempt to try and PUBLICLY bypass this well entrenched monopoly.

Fortunately the High Court says otherwise as LAI found out the hard way - (Avel Pty Ltd v Multicoin).

Bally/Williams when pressed at the time for a definitive answer to their credit said it is a local matter and not for them to enforce.  #*#

So what do we have as a result, half baked attempts at distributor protection with circuit board hacks under the pretense of ROHS compliance.

There will eventually be a solution to SPIKE (if it does turn out to be a concern), just like we got a bypass to the previous system.

What happened to the guy who owned the golden goose and decided that one gold egg a day wasn't enough?

EDIT: +1 to swinks
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 09:17:36 PM by pinsanity »

Offline elkor-alish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 10:32:38 PM »
Not enough for your money at those prices. For me I will be buying other luxury items before a NIB pinball. I like Stern pinball, but NIB prices are just too high now.

Totally agree. 
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 12:31:40 AM »
AMD already bring in containers of every type of amusement machines from all over the world. Pinball is only part of their business.

The Australian dollar has gone from $1.19 or more down to .82 cents.
That's a big difference.
AMD have officially said today that Stern have increased the price on their base models up $300 over a 12 month period and the Australian dollar equates to the extra $500 Apx dollars.

If people are unhappy with price increases, write to AMD and Stern like I ALREADY have.
A polite letter will be read and considered.
And you might get something positive back like I did when AMD advised that the TWDead Pro model is still $7100 for the 3 units they have left.
 As for the comments about Stern expanding and the new factory etc etc, write Gary Stern a letter like I have and ask your questions.

This is a luxury item, prices go up and down whether we like it or not.
Writing to Stern and AMD politely are the only way these companies can consider your opinion and then make pricing adjustments if they feel it is needed. Be pro-active if u want change and do something. It's not difficult to send a polite and professional email.

Also, it drives me nuts when people call a Stern Pro a stripped back game. It's far from that. That's complete BS.
People who have repeatedly bought BNIB Sterns know that desccription is far from accurate. My BNIB Stern Pros are just as advanced and as fun featured as the other 60 DMD titles I have from every manufacturer known to man and I have played hundreds of other pinnys from many many collections. I have also played every BNIB title Stern has bought out in the last 5 years. Most are excellent.
A lot of BNIB Pros make the so called high end Bally Williams titles look and feel old hat. i want to play pinball and am sick of fixing old machines....

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 12:39:39 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 02:16:51 AM »
Also, it drives me nuts when people call a Stern Pro a stripped back game. It's far from that. That's complete BS.

Ok - fair call.

LE and Premium are suped up versions of the Pro then

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 07:29:34 AM »
AMD already bring in containers of every type of amusement machines from all over the world. Pinball is only part of their business.

The Australian dollar has gone from $1.19 or more down to .82 cents.
That's a big difference.
AMD have officially said today that Stern have increased the price on their base models up $300 over a 12 month period and the Australian dollar equates to the extra $500 Apx dollars.

If people are unhappy with price increases, write to AMD and Stern like I ALREADY have.
A polite letter will be read and considered.
And you might get something positive back like I did when AMD advised that the TWDead Pro model is still $7100 for the 3 units they have left.
 As for the comments about Stern expanding and the new factory etc etc, write Gary Stern a letter like I have and ask your questions.

This is a luxury item, prices go up and down whether we like it or not.
Writing to Stern and AMD politely are the only way these companies can consider your opinion and then make pricing adjustments if they feel it is needed. Be pro-active if u want change and do something. It's not difficult to send a polite and professional email.

People who have repeatedly bought BNIB Sterns know that desccription is far from accurate. My BNIB Stern Pros are just as advanced and as fun featured as the other 60 DMD titles I have from every manufacturer known to man and I have played hundreds of other pinnys from many many collections. I have also played every BNIB title Stern has bought out in the last 5 years. Most are excellent.
A lot of BNIB Pros make the so called high end Bally Williams titles look and feel old hat. i want to play pinball and am sick of fixing old machines....

email isn't going to do much as often Stern watch Pinside and they see lots of people complain about prices and vow not to buy but they do. Best thing to do is for people not to open their wallets and buy a new pin if they don't like the price Stern will see a change in sales.

also if you look at the number of features (targets, interactive toys etc) and compare to most 90's Bally / WMS, the Stern Pro's have a few less features with the premium and LE.

have to say I would not be surprised if the marketing guy Jody is behind many of the prices and LE's having a different game features etc. Sorry he is a goose.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
some corrections........

email isn't going to do much as often Stern watch Pinside and they see lots of people complain about prices and vow not to buy but they do. The best thing to do is for people not to open their wallets and not buy a new pin if they don't like the price, Stern will then see a change in sales and may react differently.

also if you look at the number of features (targets, interactive toys etc) and compare this to most 90's Bally / WMS, the Stern Pro's have a few less features compared with the premium and LE. Also have to say I would not be surprised if their marketing guy Jody is behind many of the prices and LE's having a different game features etc. Sorry he is a goose and purely business not a pinballer. He is known to delete anything slightly negative from facebook posts and when was the last pin that was launched with a decent promo video before the pin was released to the public.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, 10:57:26 AM »

Big call. While I am no expert, I have not yet played a Stern Pro model that comes within shouting distance of MM, AFM, MB for example. That is just my view based on the user experience, and as none have really grabbed me, I haven't really gone that deep into any. Not to say Stern have not met that standard (or perhaps approached it) with some of their fully decked out models like Spiderman, TSPP, LotR etc. Be interested if any other member believes there are any recent Pro models that surpass the best of B/W - I really would be keen to hear and would make an effort to get hold of one to really explore it.

The "look" of the games I mentioned are timeless - cannot really say that for the "based on some theme" games Stern produces when the series or movie is old hat.

As for feel, that is in fact where Stern loses me every time - they don't really have the feel that B/W managed to achieve - be it flipper mechs, or other mechs, or even the clear used, I am not really sure.

I have lots of old pinball machines - I rarely need to take the glass off (admittedly they were gone over and sorted before entering into the collection), so fixing old machines is probably a reflection of acquiring ones that were not restored, or restored well.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2015, 12:43:32 PM »
It is the difference between a game, and an exprrience

Take sterns Star Trek, nice game
, pretty to look at. But it is a pinball machine with a few toys added. Change the toys change the theme

But you look at a Scared Stiff, MB, MM. The whole layout is integrated, toys and features that were designed just for that machine

Maybe (modern) Sterns have no soul

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2015, 01:11:27 PM »

But you look at a Scared Stiff, MB, MM. The whole layout is integrated, toys and features that were designed just for that machine

You know Pete, maybe you just nailed it - the integration of the toys into the game and theme, never thought of that as a major factor.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 01:43:29 PM »

, pretty to look at. But it is a pinball machine with a few toys added. Change the toys change the theme

I also agree.

Take The Next Gen versus the Stern Star Trek. I haven't watch much of either movie/series or whatever they are but I always did and still feel like you are sitting right beside the captain in the next Gen and each shot of each mission feels like you are accomplishing something with good feed back from the machine. Where as the new Star Trek I find myself just following the blinking lights and wondering why it is lit in the first place. TWD has a better feel IMO as you get a feeling of smashing zombies or walkers but it could done better. Maybe they need to look more into the continuity of a game by creating there own story for the game first and designing the modes around it rather than picking bits and pieces from the show. Saying that I do and still will play the new Sterns when I see them but would not buy one.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 01:45:46 PM by DSB »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 02:24:43 PM »

I also agree.

Take The Next Gen versus the Stern Star Trek. I haven't watch much of either movie/series or whatever they are but I always did and still feel like you are sitting right beside the captain in the next Gen and each shot of each mission feels like you are accomplishing something with good feed back from the machine. Where as the new Star Trek I find myself just following the blinking lights and wondering why it is lit in the first place. TWD has a better feel IMO as you get a feeling of smashing zombies or walkers but it could done better. Maybe they need to look more into the continuity of a game by creating there own story for the game first and designing the modes around it rather than picking bits and pieces from the show. Saying that I do and still will play the new Sterns when I see them but would not buy one.

The word "creating" you used is an issue - I think the lack of creativity has always been a stumbling block for Stern, one of the reasons to stick to games with themes borrowed from movies and TV etc.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Are NIB Stern buyers coping a double hit?
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 04:19:34 PM »
Where's my boring icon gone :) here we go again.  

Stern v Bally/Williams :( can't compare different times different eras