Author Topic: Are NIB Stern buyers coping a double hit?  (Read 3120 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Are NIB Stern buyers coping a double hit?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 04:27:31 PM »

Stern v Bally/Williams :( can't compare different times different eras

Quite agree - but Cavey's enthusiasm for Stern is commendable, so I happily excuse his need to compare, and provide my view on such comments.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 07:13:13 PM »
It all gets down to personal preference and how you feel on the day.
Yeh, comparing the late 90,s stuff to today's Sterns is probably not going to get any definitive results. Lol

A lot of the older machines have a lot more sentimental love than the brand new stuff does.
The bit about fixing machines, I rarely have to fix a machine cause 90 percent of my stuff was shopped properly but when u do have to fix something it is very time consuming. The brand new stuff is usually plug n play for years without breakdowns. This is more attractive to new buyers who haven't bought a pin before.
What worries me, is that if everyone Stern bashs all the time, are we scaring new blood, new buyers off from getting into the pinball hobby ?
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2015, 07:19:00 PM »

A lot of BNIB Pros make the so called high end Bally Williams titles look and feel old hat. i want to play pinball and am sick of fixing old machines....

Big call. While I am no expert, I have not yet played a Stern Pro model that comes within shouting distance of MM, AFM, MB for example. That is just my view based on the user experience, and as none have really grabbed me, I haven't really gone that deep into any. Not to say Stern have not met that standard (or perhaps approached it) with some of their fully decked out models like Spiderman, TSPP, LotR etc. Be interested if any other member believes there are any recent Pro models that surpass the best of B/W - I really would be keen to hear and would make an effort to get hold of one to really explore it.

The "look" of the games I mentioned are timeless - cannot really say that for the "based on some theme" games Stern produces when the series or movie is old hat.

As for feel, that is in fact where Stern loses me every time - they don't really have the feel that B/W managed to achieve - be it flipper mechs, or other mechs, or even the clear used, I am not really sure.

I have lots of old pinball machines - I rarely need to take the glass off (admittedly they were gone over and sorted before entering into the collection), so fixing old machines is probably a reflection of acquiring ones that were not restored, or restored well.

Play every Stern that has come out in the last 5 years and u might just think the same ?
Maybe you won't but get up here Nick for a great sunny Gold Coast holiday and come n play all the Sterns at TimeZone. And meet some of the local pinheads and have a drink and some fun.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !